“Food and Fine Wine”

Ranked #38 of 273 Restaurants in Darlington
Price range: US$8 - US$38
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are an independent wine merchant with a fully licensed bar specializing in boutique wines, a large range of craft beers, and an impressive range of gins, all delivered with spectacularly horizontal passion...
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Food and Fine Wine”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

It was the wife's birthday on Friday , Now we both love a Friday night in this joint with a glass of wine and a chat about the weeks goings on. Anyway on Friday I had booked the Restaurant upstairs over the internet. The Lads have got the place spot on. The wine is fantastic, The food is amazing . The staff are the same, They even new my name when I got there. the place is spot on.. We love it . You really must try it.

• Visited June 2014

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Superb boutique restaurant!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Absolute jem! Warm welcome upon entering the restaurant. Our party was indisive as to what wine to purchase, the man at the bar suggested what turned out to be a delicious Malbec. Warm and unique atmosphere, transporting classical music, and delicious food ( the lamb, the sole, the tartar....) completed the package. The personal, attentive, and friendly services elevates Vesuvio to another level!

• Visited May 2014
Durham, United Kingdom
“Outstanding gem of a restaurant”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Cosy quirky wine bar bistro where one can try various wines before you commit. Had a superb Verdiccio from Sicily. To go with my delicious King prawn spicy starter. followed by perfectly cooked tender filet steak with aromatic peppercorn sauce. One of the best I've ever had. The maitre d a charming knowledgeable French guy made all his guests feel welcome
. In the last six months
I've reviewed the orangery Rockcliffe, the bay horse ,Hurworth, and the new Blackbull at Moulton. All offering overpriced miniscule portions of average food!

Vesuvio beats them all!

3 Thank James7001
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Outstanding - a complete pleasure!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

A quiet Friday lunchtime so we were tabled downstairs near the bar. Hubby more of a beer buff so loves the growing bottles range and seems to have indulged in the wheat options today. I had a bottle of Pinot Grigio from Romania (I'm no expert but it was perfect for me!). Starter was a shared Charcuterie board which changes depending on what is in the kitchen and we have never had a bad one. Olive marinade was to die for! Mains - I had a cooked to perfection medium rare sirloin steak with peppercorn sauce, wonderfully seasoned roasted new potatoes and french beans on the side worked a treat. Hubby had the chef special of the day - a stew along the lines of a thickened cassoulet, he loved the richness of the dish and managed to eat a portion size which would feed a family!! The whole dining experience was fabulous. The attentive bar staff ensured the wine was always poured and my hubby always had a beer at hand. The real treat was the wonderful chef offering insight at each service. On the whole excellent quality food and drink served with a personal touch. Great place to spend our wedding anniversary - thanks to all. Keep up the fabulous work!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Louise S
Barcelona
“Saturday best”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I love lunching on a Saturday at Vesuvio. We visited on 3 May and this time elected to sit downstairs whereas previously we have eaten upstairs. The service both from Philippe and the bar staff was exemplary . We chose a bottle of Malbec that we had had previously ( so good we managed to consume a second bottle ! ). Having given our order we were seated immediately and served some really good bread with delicious olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some smoky flavoured salt. We shared a starter of king prawns, garlic and chorizo in a delicious sauce which Philippe helpfully served as two single portions . Pleased we opted to share as there was more than enough for both of us. I had fillet of beef in a pepper sauce which melted in the mouth. My husband had a huge dover sole on the bone complete with melts which he rated one of the best he had eaten. We finished off sharing a lemon posset. All in all an excellent way to spend a Saturday ( or any other day ) lunchtime. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2014