“In a class of its own”

Houndgate Townhouse
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from an overnight stay at Houndgate Townhouse and all I can say is WOW. It is the most amazing little boutique hotel. From the time we checked in to the time we left the experience was outstanding. We stayed in Room Two, this is the super deluxe super king room and yes it is as impressive as it sounds. A really nice four poster bed massive walk in rain shower and the biggest bath I have ever seen are all to be found in Room Two.

Houndgate has a really nice bar that provides a wide variety of drinks from beers to cocktails to wine to champagne. We sampled some of the cocktails and the gentleman (sorry didn't get his name) who made them for us certainly knew his stuff. My husband didn't see a cocktail he wanted from the menu (there are plenty to choose from he is just picky) so the bar tender was more than happy to make him one not on the menu.

We booked a table at the restaurant "eleven" and again we were not disappointed and were not left hungry! There was a lot to choose from and after recommendation by our waitress Chloe, we both ordered the braised beef cheek and it was so tasty!! Chloe was an excellent server and very conscientious.

I could go on and on about how good Houndgate Townhouse but you really need to go to see. Now we have found it we will be returning!!

Thank you for a wonderful stay!!

2  Thank Chloe_Newell1986
Houndgate T, Owner at Houndgate Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Hello Chloe. Firstly, thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us. We are glad you have such an enjoyable stay in our super deluxe room two. I will pass on your kind comments to Jake - he is a real asset behind the bar and creates our monthly cocktail specials from scratch using his broad knowledge of ingredients and techniques. We are happy you found our food in the 'eleven' restaurant to be delicious and I shall pass on your kind regards to the chefs as well as Chloe. We look foward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Houndgate Townhouse in early August for his birthday, and we had a wonderful time! I can't praise this lovely hotel enough. We had a superior room (room 7) and it was beautifully furnished, the lovely soft toned colour palette is used throughout the hotel. The bathroom was wonderful with a spacious walk in shower, luxury toiletries, bathrobes and slippers, the attention to detail was so lovely. In the room there was complimentary bottled water, still and sparkling and although no tea and coffee making facilities they can bring it to your room should you wish to order some! I really enjoyed reading the A-Z guide in the room, it tells you all about what the hotel has to offer as well as a lovely history of the building and how beautifully it has been restored, in my opinion this made our stay even more special. We started our evening with delightful cocktails in the Hound Bar, and then dinner in the restaurant which was absolutely delicious! The menu was superb, each course was presented so well and the service was excellent. We finished our evening with more drinks in the bar which by late evening was bustling but not over busy. The following morning we were treated to a wonderful breakfast, again the menu was superb and quality and presentation was faultless. Throughout our stay we were treated so well by the lovely staff and made to feel so welcome, we will certainly be returning in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Lola. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay and a belated happy birthday to your husband. Each of our eight rooms has a different colour scheme and pattern but room seven is my personal favourite. I'm sure other TripAdvisor users will find your descriptions and photos useful (and your lovely instagram ones too) and it is great that you read our most recent addition to the bedroom - the a-z book. As stated in the book, our ethos is to be a "home away from home" so to read that you were made to feel very welcome is very positive feedback. I shall pass on your great comments about the food to our chefs and about the service to our front of house staff. We look foward to your next visit.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at this charming hotel last week. We loved this hotel although only small, but it had a lovely peaceful atmosphere even when quite busy in evening. The food was excellent, afternoon tea was best I have ever had. We went to Durham which was not far away and did the historical walk which was very interesting.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Elaine. Thank you for leaving a review of your recent stay with us at Houndgate Townhouse - it is always so lovely to be called a "gem"! We are glad you found the atmosphere to be calming - we have tried to restore the original Georgian features with more contemporary furniture and the fusion of old and new extends to our colour schemes too. It is also great to read that our Afternoon Tea has won such an accolade in your eyes - I shall pass on your kind words to our hardworking chefs. We hope to welcome you back to stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

This boutique hotel is an ideal base for exploring the North-East. It is 10 minutes walk from Darlington Railway Station which serves the East Coast Main Line between Edinburgh and London. It one minute’s walk from Darlington’s Market Place. But it’s location is just one of it’s many attributes.

The former Register Office, it has been wonderfully restored and decorated to the highest standards. Full of taste but gently relaxing, it is easy to be cosseted by the attentive staff and forget the outside world. The hotel has every modern amenity that can be expected for it’s size, and with just 8 rooms and a total staffing of 19, the tariff is an absolute bargain.

Becca, Jake and Laura were especially helpful and friendly.

It is of course possible to find tiny criticisms but the many many pluses including the freebies outweigh these. Anyone who complains about the location obviously has not done their homework and not to expect some noise in a town or city centre at a weekend is totally unrealistic. As it was, we were not troubled by noise at all, as we had done so much walking that we fell asleep very quickly, although on Friday night we were dimly aware of some night club noise in the distance.

We were in Room 8 which, although a touch on the small side, was a bargain at the price we paid and oozed quality. We did look at one of the other rooms which was far more spacious and might give it a try when we come back another time which we will definitely be doing!

We only took breakfast in the hotel restaurant so cannot comment on the Lunch and Dinner dining experience. The menus did however indicate a superior level of cuisine albeit not cheap.

One of the inclusive Secret Escapes breaks would I imagine be an excellent choice as at present Dinner, Bed & Breakfast for 2 in a Superior Room is being offered through the Secret Escapes website for £99.00 for most weekdays.

Room Tip: If you have lots of clothes to hang up , don't choose room 8. It is a very quiet room though be...
1  Thank michaeld32

Hello Michael. Thanks you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent stay with us at Houndgate Townhouse. We're sure other TripAdvsior users will find the location information, history and description of your visit interesting. I shall pass on your commendations to the members of staff mentioned. Room eight is indeed our smallest room but it does boast the most history -it has an original fireplace and some wallpaper in the bathroom which is around ninety years old! It is lovely to read that you are planning to visit us again and we will look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My now wife and I stayed at Houndgate Townhouse after our wedding last weekend, being ideally located just metres from the registry office. We booked the bridal suite blind, more or less on a whim and weren't really expecting such a great experience. From the big, solid and very comfortable four poster bed to the luxurious walk-in shower to the free-standing bath in the bedroom (plenty big enough for two!), the room was absolutely perfect for two youngish lovebirds like ourselves. The decor was very nice indeed, both in our room and throughout the hotel, nice fancy products in the bathroom and our breakfast was delicious (excellent full English for me, eggs Benedict done to perfection for the missus). Really good communication beforehand and service to match throughout - we also had our post-wedding lunch there but I will be reviewing that under their separate restaurant listing (spoiler: that was also very good indeed). Our room was therefore discounted, we paid 125 for our suite and breakfast, I've no idea what the going rate for a bridal suite is but we both thought it was worth every penny. Many thanks to Clare, Rebecca and the team!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Houndgate T, Owner at Houndgate Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hello and congratulations on your recent nuptials. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay in our Super Deluxe room at Houndgate Townhouse. As you say, we are very close to the current Registry Office and in fact we used to house the Registry Office at 11 Houndgate where our Hound Bar & Lounge is now. I’m sure your photos of the room two will be helpful for other TripAdvisor users – it’s clear to see just how big the super-king four-poster bed is! It is great to read that you enjoyed our décor, breakfast and service. We look forward to your review of lunch in our ‘eleven’ restaurant and I shall pass on your kind words to Clare, Becca and the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to our “true hidden gem”.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely stay at the Houndgate Townhouse and I felt the need to write down how much we appreciated our time at this delicious small hotel. Only 8 bedrooms, which suited us just fine as some of these large hotel chains are so clinical and boring. This beautiful little hotel was a joy - the staff - (nothing was too much bother for them), the stylish interior design, the excellent tasty breakfasts with choice of good quality food in a full English or, if like me, a more healthier option of creamy porridge and Greek Yoghurt, the good size room which was spotlessly clean and a bathroom full of fluffy towels and quality toilet products courtesy of the hotel. Every little attention to detail that I look for when I stay in a hotel was well catered for. My husband and I will be returning to Houndgate for a longer stay as finding quality hotels these days can be quite a challenge. Particular thanks to Jake and Becca for their kindness and courtesy. A little oasis of a hotel in the middle of a large bustling town.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent two night stay with us. It is great to read you enjoyed your time with us and thought the staff were efficient, the interiors stylish and food delicious. We do pay a lot of attention to detail here so it is lovely to see that you noticed this, from the Miller Harris Toiletries to the healthier breakfast options. I will pass on your kind comments to Jake and Becca and we look forward to welcoming you back to our “oasis of a hotel” in the near future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just returned from a two night break at the Townhouse - what an excellent find !!
The Hotel is small but beautifully and tastefully furnished, the food was excellent and the staff were great (Jake and Becca in particular were the two people we dealt with the most).
We booked some time ago and therefore got a reduction from full price which made our stay even better, and we certainly return in the future.

Room Tip: We were in Room 6 which was totally equipped for disabled access.
1  Thank Czerwik
Houndgate T, Owner at Houndgate Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hello and thank you for leaving a review of your recent two night break at Houndgate Townhouse. It is great to read that you loved your stay with us and that you think we are an “excellent find”. It is lovely to read your great comments about our furnishings, food and staff and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Jake and Becca. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.