“So slow!”

Ranked #27 of 289 Restaurants in Darlington
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We went for a quick lunch on a Saturday. It wasn't very busy and after a short delay our orders were taken. The waitress was new, so we were more patient than usual. After 45 minutes without any food, or apology we heard a crash. We waited another 5 minutes before the waitress asked us if we would like more drinks as we had finished the drinks we bought to drink with our lunch. We politely asked if it would be much longer then were informed our food had been dropped on the floor and they were remaking it and it would be with us soon. After another ten minutes our food finally arrived. We had only ordered a salad and a sandwich, so why it took 50 minutes to make the first one but 10 minutes to make the second, I can only imagine! The waiter passed by and asked if everything was OK, without even stopping to pause by our table, so I didnt get a chance to say the sandwich was soggy. One member of staff did apologise for the delay, but it seemed as if they were just going through the motions, rather than it being a genuine apology. We were rather surprised when the bill came to over £20 and there was no offer of a reduction on the bill or complimentary drinks for our hour of waiting.

When we first got there we were quite impressed and had planned to revisit with a large family group next time all the relatives are in town, however, by the time we had finished I would not recommend the food or the service to anyone. Such a shame.

2  Thank 453tt
Warrenheadchef, Owner at The Bridge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank You for your kind comments!
I do recall the incident where a new member of our team had a accident where she had to seek medical advice, & yes thank you for asking she is recovering well.
The delay on your food was simply due to the amount of customers who,we're dining with us on that particular service, to illustrate, we were very busy.
The restaurant is ran on a first come first served basis as nearly all restaurants are ran the same, with customers orders being served in a timely manner from the order being received within the kitchen.
As I was on duty the day in question I do recall our manager asking if everything was ok, with the reply of yes being given, and apologising on numerous occasions about the incident that occurred.
We pride ourselves of our level of customer service but certain situations can not be avoided which
I am sure you can appreciate.
But solely to offer a reduction on the bill or complimentary drinks would that have really rectified the situation, when no mention of remorse was given to our colleague who also apologised for the incident, and no mention of these suggestions we're put forward to ourselves.
Again thank you for your review.
kind Regards
Warren A Kreft

Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I recently made a first visit to this pleasant restaurant.The dining room is very attractive,the staff were very pleasant and attentive.
However,when I asked for vegetables to accompany my main course,in place of the ubiquitous chips,I was told that this could be done with a £1.40 supplement.In all the years I have asked for vegetables instead of chips I have never been asked to pay more.I can think of several restaurants in the Darlington area where the change has been effected with no problem whatsoever..
I think this extra charge for vegetables instead of chips is absolutely appalling! At a time when UK obesity is amongst the highest in Europe and our government and medical officers are encoraging us to eat our '5 per day' and eat healthily,it is hardly conceivable that a restaurant dares to try to charge more for eating vegetables instead of chips.
Needless to say,I will not be returning until I hear of a change of policy regarding this chips/veg.with a charge issue.I am not averse to chips-I enjoy a plate of fish and chips a coupleof times a month but there are many dishes one can eat in restaurants which go down well with a (small)selection of vegetables,rather than chips.
It would be interesting to learn why,when most restaurants will swap chips for veg.without any query,one should impose a surcharge for doing so.?

Hi there Mr X
Thank You for your comments!
Just to inform you that your name appears on your review, Mr X.
Firstly Mr X we do not charge for side dishes that accompany your meal, they are complimentary to the dish that you have ordered. For example you order, Greek chicken, automatically it is served with a healthy option of homemade chunky chips & peas, but If you require a terrine of vegetables and potatoes as well as getting your Chips & peas there will be a small charge. Another example Roast of the day comes with a terrine of vegetables, add chips there will be a small charge.
As most restaurants you order your main meal, and order your sides separately with a charge, and we give a side dish to compliment your meal for free, brilliant.
If you do require to swop you side for an alternative we have for 14 years allowed this to happen and have never refused.
Kind regards
Warren A Kreft

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Love this place, try to come as much as possible as the Night time menu and Sunday carvery are great.
The staff are very helpful and nothing is to much trouble, especially the head waitress who always makes us feel very welcome.
Have been coming here for over 5 years now and never ever had a bad meal, I totally recommend the beef wellington!

1  Thank Baps75
Reviewed 23 June 2014

What a bargain, went for the large plate £9.90, a massive choice of meats and pie and what seems like an endless supply of veg. The meat was cooked to perfection and you get a good amount, not wafer thin slices like other carverys. The place gets very busy on Sundays (only day for a carvery) you cannot book on Sunday so we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table but it was worth the wait. Staff are all very polite and very friendly despite the place been packed out. Drinks are a little overpriced £11.55 for 4 large cokes and a pint of lager. Other than that it is all good.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Evening business dinner - excellent service, outstanding menu and portions to die for that represented superb value without any trade off on quality. Would definitely eat here again!