“Brilliant lunchtime fare.”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I decided to pop in for lunch on a warm Wednesday in mid-July. I hadn’t set foot in the place for over 20 years, but we’d heard good reports from friends so thought we’d give it a try. Having spent a pleasant hour walking round Newmillerdam we were ready for a light meal.
As we entered the pub, initial impressions were good. The main room was clean and well-furnished. There was no noisy music blaring out and the place had a pleasant ambience. The young lady behind the bar welcomed us with a cheery smile.
We asked about food, and were given the choice of eating in the pub itself, or the adjoining restaurant area. We plumped for the latter, where we were greeted by a friendly waitress. She led us through to the conservatory, where we were seated. The area was extremely clean and tidy, with plenty of natural light. There was also a nice view of the walled garden outside, where one or two people had elected to have their lunch.
There was plenty of choice on the menu, with either main courses (including starters and desserts) or bar meals available. I opted for the jacket potato with prawns in a Marie Rose sauce, while my wife chose the tuna crunch wrap. Our waitress was extremely polite and helpful, even offering to get a dextrose tablet for my wife (who is diabetic) when her sugar levels appeared to be low.
The food did not take long to arrive, and proved to be delicious. My potato literally melted in my mouth, as opposed to the hard, lumpy fare that can often be served in pub-restaurants. The prawns were succulent, and the side salad was fresh and tasty. My wife said that her wrap (which also had a salad accompanying it) was extremely nice. Both dishes were priced very reasonably, at £5-6.
We finished off our meal with a cappuccino each, and were amused to find that the person making them had added a smiling face to the top of the coffee. It was a lovely little touch.
Although it was a weekday, there were plenty of diners in the restaurant area. Several of them appeared to be local, which is always a good sign.
All in all, our experience of the Fox and Hounds was extremely positive. My only minor quibble was the poor spelling (‘mediteranean’, ‘ceasar salad’) on the Specials Board above the bar. The mere fact that this was the only thing that was in any way amateurish proves what an excellent job the owners are doing. I would certainly recommend the Fox and Hounds for a lunchtime visit.

Nick S, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Hello!
Well what a finely structured, informative review you've submitted. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. It's always very rewarding when someone really has looked in to many of the areas of our offer and reviews the surroundings, as well as the staff and of course the edible part of our product too.
I completely agree with the spelling errors and I'll have a quiet word with our Team to ensure that such basic errors are removed, must say I hadn't noticed them myself, as that's something I'm very keen on.
We always share feedback with our team and would thank you for your kind positive comments. Hopefully we'll see you again soon, and you won't leave it that long again before coming back!!
Also, have you tried our sister Restaurant/Bar The Horse & Groom at Heath, Wakefield WF1 5SG? - There's a pleasant walk around Heath and the Common that you may like too.
Best wishes
Jackie, Mandy, Nick & The Team.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Great home cooked food, proper chips, at great prices..early bird very good value in a great location with very friendly staff.

Nick S, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fox & Hounds. Also, if convenient for you try our sister restaurant The Horse & Groom at Heath, Wakefield WF1 5SG.

Best wishes
Jackie, Mandy, Nick & the Team.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Went here on a busy Friday night and ate in the restaurant. The food was home cooked and all of us (we were 7 in total) all enjoyed our food, especially the chips! The food is good quality pub food at good prices and freshly cooked. The waitress were all very polite and helpful. Only slight niggle was getting drinks, either had to go the bar ourselves or wait longer for them to be delivered to the table.

Nick S, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hi there,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Restaurant/Bar in Newmillerdam. We always take genuine reviews seriously and it's even better of course when they're a good one. Yours also helps us improve our Restaurant service as you have commented regarding time to get drinks served. We'll discuss this with the Waiting On Team and look at ways of improving this aspect. Friday nights are busy on the bar, particularly from tea time through to 9 ish so will look at that too.
Look forward to seeing you again. Best wishes.
Jackie, Nick, Mandy & the Team
ps - have you tried our sister Restaurant bar The Horse & Groom at Heath Common? great food and a contemporary feel.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

There was a beer festival happening just over the road, but after visiting Fox and Hounds in the past I knew there would be a few good ales on to try and wasn't disappointed with the Theakstons ale they had one. They also had Black Sheep, Landlord and another Blonde ale on.

The ale is always good here and I had a pint before heading over to the beer festival.

Nick S, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hi there,
Thanks very much for taking your time to review our Restaurant/Bar - hope you enjoyed the Beer Festival too. We were so busy I didn't even get time this year to pop across and sample some of the varied tastes of Cask Ales that were there. Our Theakston's 'Tour de Wot' is really flying out and maybe they should consider making this part of their permanent range.
Look forward to seeing you again soon
Best wishes
Jackie, Mandy, Nick & the Team!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

After a stroll around Newmillerdam there's nothing better than popping into the Fox and Hounds for a spot of lunch. Alternatively you can sit outside on the decked area or in the lower garden area. Excellent food and really friendly staff. Would certainly recommend a visit.

Nick S, Owner at Fox and Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hi there,
Thanks very much for your review. Much appreciated and we'll share this with our team at The Fox.
Jackie, Nick, Mandy & the Team