“Close to Westgate Train Station, around the corner from the Theatre”
Review of York House Hotel

York House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A nice comfortable place to stay.Just round the corner of Westgate train station and nearly next door to Wakefield Theatre.If nobody answers the hotel door when you ring the bell you will have to go to the restaurant next door and go in through there.Friendly and welcoming staff.There is a lift to the rooms.The bedroom is ensuite and has tv, wifi, A kettle with some teabags, coffee and milk cartons.Clean towels are provided and shower with soap dispenser and shampoo dispensers. I had trouble sleeping as the blinds did not cover the windows properly and my room was lit all night because of this.Otherwise a very clean, convenient place to stay close to the city centre.Breakfast was included; cereal, tea/coffee, orange/apple juice, toast and full english if you require it.I like the place but just pity I could not sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are bit noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EricaJ3
Nina_YorkHouseHotel, Manager at York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways we can make our hotel an even better experience for all our guests.
I apologise for the blinds in your room, I will look into this.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see more of you in the future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The staff in this hotel are very nice and helpful. The room was clean and to a good standard. I stayed here a few month ago with my boyfriend and we found it very easily. The location is great and easy if you need to use the train station like we did.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CindyMayweather

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Got a very good deal on this hotel for one night only. Price not quality was what was important to me on this particular occasion but got a very pleasant surprise at this hotel.

First off it is VERY central, especially if you are travelling by rail into Westgate station. 100m from the station tops, but no train noise.

Noise, now there's a thing. Being so close to Westgate and Wakefield's 'boisterous' Friday nightlife, I was expecting some outside noise but there was none. I had a double bed to myself, all the room trimmings, an excellent - and easy to understand shower - could not ask for any more.

Only snag was that the pillows were a bit on the flat side for me but as I had 4 of them this did not become a problem.

Breakfast was good, not outstanding, but perfectly and amenably served and included in the room price.

Nothing not to like about this hotel - I will certainly use it again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank maria1joe

Thank you very much for your lovely review.
I am very glad that you did not get any noise disturbance during your stay, as we are on a quiet road we get very little noise from the town centre.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

After a VERY bad experience at the Days Inn at Wakefield, I transferred to this hotel and was pleasantly surprised. Perfect for what was now a two night stay. Nice clean room, with soft towels and a VERY comfortable bed.

Food from the restaurant next door was lovely and on the second night, they even brought it to my room, even though there is no room service available. The bar staff (and breakfast staff) were polite and courteous, and the "chief" barman (maybe owner?) in the restaurant was a pleasure to talk to. Plus, Nina on reception, upon my arrival was a bright as a button; cheerful, polite and, again, a pleasure to talk to.

Only two minor niggles. I had to ask for an extension lead to plug in my laptop due to lack of plug sockets in the room, plus, some family's annoying children kept running up and down the corridor at midnight when I was trying to sleep.

Overall, a lovely place to stay with a lovely cooked breakfast made to order.

Room Tip: Try and get one at the back of the hotel to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely spacious rooms nice Decor . Food in restaurant was beautiful lovely helpful staff .value for money definitely be staying again .ideal hotel for a break in Wakefield for anyone , I went with my husband for a nights break away and it was a great day and night also great for shopping .

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had booked to stay somewhere else in Wakefield on Saturday night but due to Booking.com's error i was left high and dry with my other half and mate with no where to stay. Quick google and found the York house hotel, much more expensive but good location. Called to see what they had and fortunatley had a single occupancy double and....the bridal suite available as last minute cancellations. Quick bit of heavy handed negotiation and we had the 2 rooms secured for less than 50% of the advertised price so very happy and was including breakfast.

On arrival (10 minutes later) the staff were very friendly and we were checked in within minutes. Car park is chargable but not if you are resident so that was a bonus.

Bridal suite was very large, superking 4 poster bed, minibar (fridge) big TV on the wall and a sofa and seating area, so We were pleasently surprised by this, then i opened the door to what i can only describe as the smallest bathroom i have ever seen. Had we been nuptials or staying more than the one night i would have been dissappointed especially at the full asking price. TINY is not the word, certainly no room for more than one person at a time, the twin shower was broken so only the small head worked and that was loose. The phone didnt work, but apparently this was going to be fixed, and no glasses in the room.

The other room was fairly cramped although it had a king sized double and a single in it so good if you are after something similar, but again, miniscule bathroom.

Breakfast was adequate but all in fairly poor for a full english. My judgement may have been slightly clouded by the extravagance of the night before (England Italy world cup opener and music festival at Nostel Priory.....) but the beans were cold, the suasage was rubbish and the bacon was fatty...but im probably being a little harsh. Rooms were clean, bed was good, the Oh complained about noise from doors and such but i cant say i heard anything.

Attached to "sloanes bar" which was a nice place to have a quick drink, and the food looked good but we didnt eat there.

All in not bad, but could do better with a little effort from the owners

Room Tip: Book direct and ask for a discount
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adam B

Thank you very much for your lovely review.
I am sorry to hear that there were problems with your shower, we will look at this promptly. And I am also sorry that your phone was not working, we were aware of the issues with the phone but were waiting for an engineer to repair it.
We have also recently added glasses to all of our rooms and will be very soon improving our breakfast.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay in the end and we do hope to see more of you in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a family room, really nice hotel, the room was very spacious. Being only 2 mins from the busy town centre it's very handy for shopping, and at night you don't hear the busy nightlife of the town. The breakfast is lovely, full English. We would certainly stay here again next time we come to Wakefield.

Stayed: June 2014