“Excellent”

York House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Wakefield
“Excellent”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

For the price, the location, the atmosphere and a few palatable wines it was superb. The staff were wonderful chatty but not intrusive and all clearly enjoying themselves without it coming to the detriment of their work. It downstairs was kept in good contemporary condition and really was rather smart in places. The bar was heaving when we arrived but it was a warm summers day though there seemed to be no other congregation in the rest of the town. Wakefields night life is occasionally disappointing so to just have a terrace to relax on with a few nice drinks was a great relief and much appreciated. It's not 5* but for a 3* its really good value and well kept.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Nina_YorkHouseHotel, Manager at York House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again on your next stay.
Kind Regards, Nina.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have seldom been in a Hotel, anywhere, where the service has been so friendly and where they try so hard for you...they really couldn't do enough for you and nothing was too much trouble.

The food in the Sloanes restaurant, attached to and actually part of the York House, where breakfast is served, is of really high quality, clearly prepared fresh and comes in very generous proportions....however...

The rooms do need a little more attention however...a little old and dated and over the two nights I stayed the room was stiflingly hot with only a window as the only option to alleviate the unbearable heat.

Would I return and book again...tough call that one, I really would if I thought that the rooms had been updated because the staff deserve it, but as it stands at the moment I think I would look at alternative options.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We are planning a small refurbishment of the hotel before the end of the year, as we are always looking to improve our hotel for guests.
I also apologise that the room was too hot for you. We did provide fans in the rooms as we are aware that the rooms can get warm in the summer months.
We are very happy that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I can't really decide on this hotel. It's in a great location, next to the railway station. The room was big enough with a good bathroom. On the other hand the hotel itself felt a bit neglected, the outlook from the room was depressing and it was unusual to be asked for payment up front in cash with no receipt given. Breakfast was basic. I wouldn't rush back but I'm sure you could do worse.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nina_YorkHouseHotel, Manager at York House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways we can make our hotel an even better experience for all our guests.
We will shortly be improving our hotel as we are planning a small refurbishment in the coming months.
Payment upfront is a policy that many hotels use and we always give a full VAT receipt if asked. I am sorry that you did not receive one during your stay. If you still have need of a receipt please contact us and we would be more than happy to send one through to you.
We hope to see more of you in the future.
Newcastle
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with 13 friends. Great location, just around the corner from westgate station and it takes you literally 2/3 minutes to walk into the centre to enjoy the Wakefield nightlife. Rooms are nicely furnished and clean. Rooms haven't got air con but was a fan in the room which was fine. Good size mini fridge in room which was stocked with refreshments. Never had any food in the attached restaurant called Sloans, however, food looked nice. Breakfast was good.

Staff are very friendly and remembered us from a previous stay. It was my 3rd stay at this hotel. We will definitely be back to enjoy the nightlife of Wakefield and would stay no other place then the York House Hotel.

Cheers

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My room was neat and newly refurbished and the hotel is very close (2 mins walk) to Westgate station.

But I didn't feel anyone really cared about the hotel - there was dust in the room and a sad collection of five different coat hangers. Outside in the corridor chairs and foldaway beds were stacked up.

Breakfast was served in a depressing room and was very disappointing with no vegetarian option.

Wifi was too weak to use in my room.

I was checked out by someone who didn't even pause his phone call.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank David_OLondon
Nina_YorkHouseHotel, Manager at York House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
Vegetarian breakfast options are available should they be required.
Our wi-fi has been tested in all guest rooms throughout the hotel. A weak signal may be due to your device not "gracefully" switching over to the next strongest access point, usually this happens automatically, however occasionally adapters react unexpectedly as you "roam" throughout the hotel. A reboot of your device or its adapter may have been all that was needed to solve this.
We hope to see more of you in the future and hope that if you do, you have a more enjoyable experience.
south yorkshire
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I really liked this hotel. Its right next to railway station and a short walk into town. I booked a single room which the hotel had given me a free upgrade to a double. The room was clean and comfortable. The tea tray was bulging, there was a really good fan in the room, the shower was fab, the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. The room I had was at the side so the view wasnt the best, that wasnt an issue for me but had I asked for a front facing room im sure I would have been given one. I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at front may be too noisy if you are a light sleeper as they are above the restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see more of you in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights on business. Perfect location for the train station and shpps. Not so sure about the hotel though. First the good points-the room was clean and had a fridge/mini bar which was useful. There was also a large fan which was absolutely essential as there was np air con. Staff were helpful and friendly. Not so good points- the unappealing view overlooking the car park which was also extremely noisy. The decor is extremely basic and bare. Can't help but think they are catering for the weekend drinking crowd with easy clean surfaces, rather than professionals on business. Either is fine but it'd be good to know so you aren't caught out. No room service which is a bit of a pain, especially as I wouldn't recommend a lone female trailing around Wakefield. However on the second night I visited sloanes restaurant. The food was delicious and staff very pleasant. Would I stay here again? To be honest I haven't made my mind up. It wasn't horrendous but equally it wasn't great.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dee1975
Nina_YorkHouseHotel, Manager at York House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
Although we do not offer room service, you can call down to our bar with your order and we will call you when it is ready to collect. This is outlined in our guest information folders.
We do hope to see you again and hope to meet your expectations on your next visit.