“Errmmmmm”
Review of Qubana

Qubana
Reserve with OpenTable
Qubana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 443 Restaurants in Wakefield
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Booked a table for four on Thursday night this being our first visit here, me the hubby and two friends, the staff friendly and not in your face hurrying you along, atmosphere good , drinks menu needs updating as not all of the drinks they have are on it! after much mind changing we all decided on what we were having,our starters eaten now ready for the main , me and a friend went with the jambalaya , was tasty but unfortunately I think they forgot to add the chicken as not one piece was found in mine whereas my friend got lucky and found two pieces in hers ( bless her she gave me one of them) , hubby had the qubana burger with cajun fries which he said was ok, but nothing special though, other friend ordered chicken from the specials board this was nice , probably the best of all four dishes ordered, the puddings, me and the hubby didn't want one but our friends ordered the sticky toffee pudding with butterscotch sauce, one of them was burnt and hard on the outside but both said the sauce tasted burnt too, nothing to write home about really, we can say we have been and tried it but it will be a while before I think about returning here !

1  Thank char73
MatthewQubana, Owner at Qubana, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give constructive feedback. Your comments have been taken very seriously and passed onto the chef. I am so pleased you enjoyed the atmosphere and the meal from the specials board was good.
The drinks issue was due to the fact that we were in the process of changing supplier and I am sorry there was not the full range of drinks.
Once again, thanks for your comments.
It would be lovely to see you again.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

O.M.G what a fantastic meal. It was our first visit too Qubana a Cuban/Spanish restaurant. It will certainly not be our last. We had 7 different Tapas dishes to share between my wife and I. Having been to Spain and the Canaries on several occasions and eaten much Tapas this food was exactly the same, Several cocktails were consumed and wifey finished off with white chocolate and raspberries with a crisp brulee topping. She said it's one of the best meals she's ever had. The menu is extensive and varied, from Cuban/Spanish and English style foods.
We booked and went on a Tuesday evening. It got very busy. The staff where attentive but not in your face. My wife wants to go there for our wedding anniversary in October.

MatthewQubana, Owner at Qubana, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give such positive feedback. We are so pleased you enjoyed the whole Qubana Experience. We also do special Copa Qubana nights once a month on a Wednesday when we have a tribute act. On 3rd September Freddie Mercury, 1st October Rod Stewart, 5 November Peter Kay and 3rd December Tina Turner. On a Saturday evening from 9pm we have a live pianist. We look forward to seeing you in October if not before.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My family and I eat here regularly. Food is always top notch, service friendly and efficient and the atmosphere excellent day or night. I would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Becky128

Thank you so much for your review. I am really pleased you enjoy the food and atmosphere at Qubana, and that you come with all your family. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have lived and eaten in Wakefield for 35 years and this was quite possibly worst dining experience of the lot. It started badly with them saying they didn't have one egg in the whole restaurant and no mediteranean vegetables. We ordered 2 steaks and a burger. The steaks were tiny and served on cold plates. Meant to be accompanied by Roast tomatoes but came with a bowl of gloop which was silverskin onions in horrible vinegary sauce, and the mushrooms in spite of the waiters claim were definitely of the tinned variety. The burger was OK but no more.

It was obvious we were unhappy with the meal yet no apology and staff and chefs just laughing and joking at the bar. They did reduce the bill but whole experience was that poor we won't return and certainly got the impression they viewed Monday night as a "we'll serve what we've got" night. I note from a recent review the chefs have changed, if that's the case I would suggest a need to change them again.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and offer this feedback.
I am sorry to hear that you have had such a dreadful experience.
The Qubana team take complaints very seriously, and endeavour to rectify where possible.
With regards to the eggs. The type of food that is cooked at Qubana doesn’t allow for many eggs to be used. Unlike an Italian or English restaurant, we only really use eggs to base our sauces. So unfortunately we do not have any spare eggs to serve with your steak, I can only presume this is why you were wanting an egg.
There are no excuses for the Mediterranean vegetables, as they should not have run out of this.
This has been communicated back to the chefs.

All the steaks we serve are pre weighed. They are either 8oz or 10oz depending on the steak.
This is detailed on the menu.

I would like to make it very clear that all our vegetables and meat are delivered fresh on a daily basis, and under no circumstances would we ever use tinned mushrooms. Or any frozen produce for that matter.
I have spoken with the manager who was working on this particular evening. It seems there was some confusion as Monday nights are steak nights. However, it is my understanding that you did not order from the discounted steak night menu, you ordered from the main menu. The difference being the tomato and the onion. This has been fed back to the chefs and the waiters/waitresses to ensure they know if they should serve a tomato and mushrooms or onions and mushrooms.
I would also like to make it very clear, that although since this review has been posted a chef has now departed, on the evening that you dined with us, the chefs have not changed in over 1 year.
I can only hope this one off experience will not deter you from dining at Qubana again. As you can see from our other reviews, we pride ourselves on our service and food.
Many Thanks

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I cannot fault this place at all for lunch. Great, fresh, tasty tapas of excellent standard. Not the usual mass produced lunch rubbish- but very reasonable prices. We usually share a couple of the trios and have more than enough. Humous great, with 3 seperate flavours & home made bread , calamari to die for, not the frozen chewy rubbish and cooked to perfection, and the mozzarella , divine . Mouths watering just talking about it. Has been same standard on 3 seperate occasions too. A must!!

2  Thank JPackworth