“Seen Better Days”

Campanile Wakefield
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed 31 March 2014

When booking in and arrival in our room I had the opinion this hotel looked over due for re-furbishing. Decided as it was only for one night we would stay as sheets & pillows were spotlessly clean and bathroom was also clean and plumbing worked perfectly. Large hole in old window net, cobweb or two, room smelled stale so we left window locked open with small gap to freshen the room. I was slightly suspect of how the night would go by when I saw the bottle opener fixed on the wall next to tea and coffee making facilities (only one coffee sachet each). During the early hours of the morning we were woken by a man shouting, arguing and loud thumping and banging noises - a bit of fight maybe; little later from same room a female screaming. Next morning the outside stairs were littered with cigarette ends & bin full of empty alcohol cartons. Came to the conclusion we would never stay there again. A pity this hotel was in this state and had guests that did not consider others wanted to sleep because it is in a quiet location for a good nights sleep. Many years ago I stayed in a Campanile and it was very smart; I had expected the same standard.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a good room before confirming a booking.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Another_travelbug2

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Firstly this is a motel, not a hotel!. It is located in an industrial estate. From the outside it looks like a run down block of council flats. On the inside it is grotty, dirty, depressing, and smelly. There is nothing remotely pleasurable about staying here, in fact it had a sleazy feel to it, as if it might be the kind of place that rents by the hour. Our room was on the ground floor and while not usually the nervous type, I didn't feel safe. The room had one plug socket, and the heating was an electric bar wall attached thing. We had booked in for 2 nights while visiting family, but ended up staying with friends on the first night as I really didn't want to return to it. The receptionist/manager was pleasant, but that is the only positive thing I can say.. oh and that it was cheap.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jane m
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay at the campanile. For a budget hotel I wasn't expecting much but i had a very comfortable stay. Its a motel set up which was quite novel. There was an area of tiling cordoned off right in front of the bar, I've no idea how long it had been like that but it should be a priority as it isn't a major job and it is a bit of an eyesore.
We stayed for breakfast. We paid for the cooked breakfast, which was a full English and we could also help ourselves to as much as we wanted from the continental selection too.
Luckily I'd checked street view to see where it was otherwise I might not have found it as its in an industrial estate.
All in all we had a pleasant stay and would definitely stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jaynesheridan
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Noisy plumbing, rather thin walls, and when I stayed (back in 2007 - the drop-down box won't allow me to go further back!) there was a problem with the water table, apparently from the nearby canal which kept backing up the plumbing and causing dampness in the ground floor room - or mine, at least.

However, the staff, who were mainly French, were really lovely, friendly and helpful, and moved me to an upstairs room as it became available - although I had to change rooms again during the course of the fortnight's stay, this wasn't any great inconvenience. The food was very good, and the selection of wines excellent and well-priced.

Despite the problems with the flooded room, my overall experience with the Campanile brand was so good that I actively sought out further Campaniles afterwards, and was delighted that I did so. As a frequent business traveller at that time, I was always delighted to find a Campanile in my local area - to the point that I would deliberately stay several miles further away just to get to stay in a Campanile!

Room Tip: During the winter / rainy times, ask for an upstairs room!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Motel kind of set up, nice enough room very big comfy bed, was a little noisy at night but what do you expect from a cheap room near city centre at a weekend? Shower was great, only complaint really is the thin walls lol but for what we paid for a couple of nights stay with breakfast was great.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Lawlryla
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Here overnight on business. Know and value the Campanile brand, here and abroad. It didn't disappoint. Clean room at an good price. Excellent, tasty and reasonably- priced meal. Can't wait for the next Campanile experience.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We booked into this hotel as staying nearby with family over the Christmas period. We have stayed in campanile hotels before and have always been satisfied with value for money! However I was extremely disappointed on booking into our room with the sub standard cleanliness which was totally unacceptable! We arrived in our room after the reception was closed and left early the next morning, but the whole day I spent totally anxious about returning for 1 more night!

I have to say though the man on reception was brilliant and refunded our costs for the stay and was very pleasant! I don't usually complain however I felt I was left with no choice on this occasion!

Very good location and good price for an overnight stay, however needs a serious overhaul!

Would still use these in future however would insist on seeing the rooms before I paid for them!

• Stayed: December 2013