“So Good I Stayed another Night”
Review of The Mews Hotel

The Mews Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed 29 August 2013

As a frequent business traveller I often have to stay away from home. Last year I slept in more hotel beds than my own!
As I was working in Ossett the Mews was recommended by my client. It has the appearance of a pub from the road, which masks an impressive mews courtyard at the rear which I am led to believe was historically a warehouse for sorting rags. This has been converted into fourteen individually designed bedrooms some time ago, however they had obviously been designed and decorated to a high standard with all the usual facilities we've come to expect except, no biscuits, and as such are still quite smart and presentable and offer a good night’s sleep.
The staff are very friendly, helpful and you feel nothing is too much trouble to them, to summarise, absolutely fabulous people.
The restaurant is the real jewel, although quite small and at one end of the bar the food is of the highest quality, cooked and presented in an attractive and creative manner together with a good selection of wine beer and sprits. However, the one issue for me, and it is totally personal, is that the portions are too large, it was absolutely criminal of me to have to send back almost half of such a marvellous meal, I just could not consume any more, such a waste of such quantity food. Please offer a 'Lite Bite' option.
My second night was an even beter experience based on knowing what to expect. This is a truly exceptional establishment that you could easly pass by without giving it a second glance, don't you would never forgive your self. Highly recommended. I will now have to find an excuse to return.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms can be a little noisier especially if the person above is noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Traveller2346

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We arranged to meet relatives for a meal (they live in Doncaster we live in Salford) so Osset was roughly halfway. Unknown to us our daughter booked us in for the night so we could have chilled night and not have to drive back. The food was fantastic all 4 of us could not fault it. The room was basic but comfortable. Breakfast was freshly made to order.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed over night at a friend's wedding. The afternoon wedding reception was held here for about 25 guests. The meal, room, setting and staff were perfect, we couldn't have asked for better. The meal we had selected a couple of weeks before, all seemed to select different meals it was fantastic with a great choice. The rooms are well set up (we stayed in room 8) with hairdryer, ironing board the fluffiest towel I have ever felt and even a selection of pillows! The breakfast is brilliant cereal, toast full English with tea or coffee. Plenty of car parking. The staff are friendly, polite and helpful just ask and they will accommodate if possible. Now just looking for another excuse to stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We had Sunday lunch at the mews today roast beef which was cooked perfect a tasty selection of fresh vegetables roast potatoes and two different mash potatoes a proper Sunday dinner with excellent service

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as we were at a friend's wedding in Ossett. We were very pleasantly surprised at the standard of our room. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was a proper full Yorkshire style meal and very tasty too. I would definitely stay there again. We stayed in room 16.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stopped here a few times when visiting family in Ossett, Yorks, the rooms are very cosy and warm
lovely bed.plenty of parking. Now lets get onto the good stuff !!! the food here is fantastic in the evenings great choice, and the breakfast is to die for one of the best presented full English I have aver had,mind I do tend to stick to to Eggs,Bacon and Sausage Toast and Marmalade.
But more if you want it. Hungry just thinking about it.
Very close to Ossett town center no need for taxi's short walk only.

Room Tip: No need I have had 3 rooms at this Hotel and the 3 were very nice, My father stayed one time and he...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have stayed at the Mews many times now, always had a good night’s sleep, staff very helpful and friendly, food excellent.
The hotel has a large car park, easy to find.
A cosy bar, restaurant with great atmosphere. A good selection of food with daily chief’s specials which I would recommend trying.

Will certainly be staying at the Mews again.

Room Tip: The room over the bar/restaurent also looks out on to the main road. If you were wanting an early ni...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business