“Another Great Visit!”

Grill! Primal Kitchen
Price range: US$3 - US$32
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek, Grill
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome to Olive & Meze Website Olive & Meze is a new restaurant to the Wakefield area. It is independently owned and operated by Zafer Firinci our Head Chef. Zafer has over 20 years experience in the restaurant industry having previously owned and operated 2 restaurants in Turkey and 1 in Wetherby in the UK. Zafer and his team strongly believe in providing excellent quality food at a great price with fast, friendly efficient service. We hope you will join us to sample the Turkish Delights of Olive & Meze.
doncaster
“Another Great Visit!”
Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

Our 2nd visit to Grill 31 & it just keeps getting better. Food is excellent value & staff can't do enough to make sure customers have a great experience. My only advice is to book well in advance, this place is a gem & won't be long before lot's of other people see that too.

It's also great that you can BYOB :)

Hope to return soon, my partner & I love it!

Amy.

3 Thank aandsplustwo

West Yorkshire
“Small, but perfectly formed...”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We booked a meal here on a Thu evening, and were prepared for delays. One waiter and one person in the kitchen did not seem enough to cope, even with a 30 cover restaurant, but we were pleasantly surprised to find our order taken promptly and everything served within an acceptable time frame. The North Yorkshire crab was excellent and we were able to take this as a main course with extra new potatoes. The sweets were sublime! Portions are generous and the "bring your own" alcohol arrangement means you're not getting ripped off for highly marked-up wine. I would suggest a bit more dressing on the tables - candles, a flower - just to take the plainness away. And the cutlery was a bit on the cheap side. But these are small quibbles in the great scheme of things, and the overall verdict is excellent value for money, and we'll certainly visit again.

2 Thank CugsyWestYorkshire
Leeds & Germany
“Excellent food as ever but you can't afford to be in a hurry”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I was also there again on Saturday 14th April and it was already chocka at 7.00 when we arrived. Having eaten there before and possessing a modicum of common sense and the power of my own eyes -- if Santa doesn't have invisible elves as helpers I don't expect David to have either and if I can see he's alone in the kitchen and has 30 covers to attend to I know I'm not going to be in and out in 45 mins -- I knew I was going to be in for a longer-than-usual night.
But I've said it before and I'll say it again: unless you're starving hungry or in a rush, does it matter? If you want conveyor belt food, go somewhere else. If you are in good company, in convivial surroundings why would you want to dash in and out? And if you have catch-up TV or Sky+ you're not even having to dash back to watch BGT or Strictly!
In order not to appear too unbiased or risk accusations of posting a fake review I'll add that we were also waiting 40 mins or so for our starters, one warm one cold, which possibly smacks of a little disorganisation in the kitchen but, on the other hand, if you both wanna eat at the same time there is no point serving the cold starter before the warm one, is there?
By the way, the spicy wings were excellent. As was my steak rossini, which I tried for the first time.
My dining companion spent a long time on our post mortem of Saturday night because it was evident that, in our five or more visits, something didn't go quite right: possibly it was too many larger parties, possibly some early diners didn't come as early as they had said and threw out the planning, possibly the new larger menu had something to do with it, I don't know. What it did do is open my eyes to the challenge of running even a small restaurant, especially when you are a two-man operation (pace David's partner, who wasn't working on Saturday).
I will also add that the waiter was grace under pressure personified: it can't have been easy on Saturday. And the histrionics he had to put up with from one 'large Geordie' party (if you are reading this you know who you are!) were inexcusable.
Finally I had to double check the bill because it seemed far too low. We both had dishes from the right hand supplements side of the menu and we still had change out of fifty quid.
Rest assured I will surely be back the next time I can get a booking on a Saturday evening because this is the kind of food I enjoy and the kind of evening I like: I may just have to take an extra bottle of red and add sth. else to the Sky+, that's all. Keep it up David and thanks a lot.

3 Thank theoriginalsid
Barnsley
“agree with previous review to a certain extent”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We would generally agree with the previous review (think we were there on the same night). The food could have been exceptional but because of inevitable delays certain items were over cooked.

The waiter on saturday night was very good and kept very calm throughout the night. He could, however, have benefitted from an extra pair of hands. As the previous reviewer said its not acceptable to wait half an hour to have your plates cleared.

Overall David did us proud for our family birthday and the specially prepared eton mess cheesecake for 4 was exceptional. The cheeseboard (also specially requested) could not be faulted, they should consider putting this on the menu full time.

We will definately be going again, but perhaps on a quieter night

“New Menu...Long Night”
Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

We visited Grill! because of the rave reviews on TripAdvisor and thought it might be a competitor to The Cow Shed down the road. On this showing, they have a long way to go.

The restaurant was almost full when we arrived, which was a good sign. It is only a small place (around 30 seats) which has two in the kitchen and one front of house. We arrived at 7.30 and waited around 20 minutes for our order to be taken. I'd read that you need to allow a couple of hours to eat here so wasn't surprised by the wait and genuinely was in no rush and happy to spend an evening in the restaurant.

However, it took an hour before we even got our starters (neither of which had to be cooked) and over another hour to get our main courses. These waiting times were the same as others in the restaurant and some customers were getting a little irate.

Fortunately it is a bring your own restaurant so we didn't spend a fortune on wine whilst waiting but we did literally have to get our own from their fridge as the waiter was so busy. It took around half an hour to clear our plates after each course which is far too long.

The waiter was apologetic about the wait and the couple next to us said they had been before and it was not 'as bad' as this. The waiter explained a new (larger) menu had caused some problems in the kitchen. They did apologise but I was disappointed that we weren't offered some bread or something while we were waiting, although I doubt the waiter would have had time to do that for every table.

As for the food, it was good but not incredible. The menu is varied and there should be something for everyone. It operates on quite an unusual system, being £17.50 for three courses and then a 'supplement charge' for the specials or more a la carte dishes. Presentation of the food was quite basic.

I think that we will give this restaurant another try but not for a while. They need to get some help front of house and clearly need a better system in the kitchen or their increasing popularity could be their undoing.

cafe31, Owner at Grill! Primal Kitchen, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
My sincere apologies for your experience on saturday night, we did have some extraordinary problems that threw a huge spanner in the works, from which we will learn in the future. I understand that our menu pricing is not the easiest to understand, supplement charges on the specials are simply to cover the extra cost involved in preparing a larger meal or one of greater cost, though this will be alleviated when the three course deals come to an end this month. As for a competitor to the cow shed, we have a hill to climb to reach the standards that they have and it has never been my intention to compete for their business, we have our own ways and direction and hope that we will be viewed on our own merits.
Again my apologies for letting you down on this occasion, thank you for taking the time to review us with constructive points that are all valid and have been taken on board.
we do hope that you visit again in the future

regards