“had better, actually not difficult!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Mantra Indian Restaurant - CLOSED

Mantra Indian Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“had better, actually not difficult!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

dansak ok, balti too onionie, korma like parsnip soup & tikka massla delivered as tikka sag. management lucky we left!!

• Visited May 2013

“Rude, helpless and insulting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

Confusion with meal orders: Chicken tikka masala was mistranslated as a chicken tikka saag. Dish not eaten, returned at end of meal but the price was not discounted from bill. Accused of verbally attacking the manager when no voices were raised or inappropriate tone used. Eventually after a compromised price we paid an left. No atmosphere and no ambience.

• Visited May 2013
Wakefield
“You must visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

i have visited many Indian Restaurants in the Wakefield and surrounding area and this is just about the best. The food is exceptional, the staff very courteous and polite, they couldn't do enough for me and my family. We also had a nice gap between each course, never feeling rushed. The decor inside the restaurant is very nice and comfortable.

• Visited April 2013
“Best value in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

I celebrated my birthday here in early January and the food was excellent.
We called back in tonight and collected a takeaway. I can honestly say it was the best
takeaway meal I have had in many a year.
And we have used probably every Indian restaurant in Wakefield over the years.
We enjoyed the following meal,

1 prawm puri
1 portion Onion bahji

1 chicken pathia
2 chapati
1 nan

2 poppadom, raita etc - given free.

It was really good food for the princely sum
of £11.45.
Portion sizes were good, there was ample for the two of us.

I really cant understand negative comments about the Mantra. It is amongst the best in Wakefield for taste, but is without a doubt second to none for value.

The only thing I would say is that the dishes tend to be served milder than other restaurants in the area, so if you like you like your curry on the hotter side tell the waiter so you get what you want.

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
““No dearie that’s too hot for you” attitude”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Me and my husband went here on a now rare visit to Wakefield. I have been here before a few times but not under the new management/name change so thought we’d go again as we were happy the last time and the place is nice and spacious. I was glad to find not much had changed. I was quite taken aback though that for 10pm Friday night there was only us and a party of about 15 lads. The place seemed very quiet.

I decided on the Chingri Badshahi as I fancied spicy prawns, husband ordered Chicken Masalla.

When the waiter came over to take our order, he said “Chingri Badshahi, that is very hot” I said “well how hot is it, you don’t have a rating?”
“That is why I am telling you, it is very hot” (quite dismissively and off hand) “ You would be better off with this” he pointed to some prawn, red sauce dish (I can’t remember exactly) but trusted his judgement and agreed to this. Unfortunately I didn’t realise his judgement was based on a ‘silly female who might burn her mouth then kick up a fuss’ because when it came it was as bland as a prawn cocktail.

There was no taste and I very much kicked myself for not sticking to my guns and trusting in my past experiences of eating scotch bonnet based dishes. In hind sight I should have walked out. I’ve walked out of restaurants for less.

When the dish came out, the waiter was hovering and when saw my face showing distaste, said “I will take it away and make it spicier” and to be fair he did and it was better but served with a parting comment “now I know how you like it I will make it like that for you next time.” Which I found a bit patronising because the chances of him making a mental note of my spiciness preference, recognising me the next time I visit Yorkshire in another year or two will be very slim, (if indeed they are still trading at that point in the distant future.)

On the whole the restaurant food was enjoyable but I found the service very patronising and this restaurant is so quiet now, it deserves to be much busier. I found it memorable for the wrong reasons.

My advice would be to print some chilli ratings by the side of your menu listings if you are having problems with complaints which will help with customer choice and eradicate misunderstandings. If someone is still asking for help after this, give advice, but make sure your advice is unbiased.

It's a shame because I probably won't choose this place again based on this experience.

• Visited October 2012