“Wake up Wakefield. This is the best restaurant by any standard.”
Review of The Star Brasserie - CLOSED

The Star Brasserie
Price range: US$6 - US$34
Cuisines: Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Star Brasserie and Bar is a welcoming and iconic established eatery near to the ruined medieval castle in Sandal Magna Wakefield. Sandal castle is best known for the famous Battle of Wakefield which was fought nearby in 1460 during the Wars of the Roses. Richard, Duke of York was killed in the battle. The Star Brasserie and Bar is a traditional and historical building which has been tastefully refurbished and is both smart and comfortable but which has retained a traditional village hostelry atmosphere and has become a focal point of the community. Our outstanding gastro menu changes regularly to reflect what is in season. We aim to provide you with an outstanding eating experience and pride ourselves with the selection of menu we offer. We take pride in our generous portions, the appearance and in the delivery of the food we serve. All of which is complimented in our cosy and atmospheric restaurant dining area. Most customers come here for the excellent food of which much of it is locally produced from nearby suppliers We have an appealing bar area with comfortable seating, a log burning stove and a changing selection of guest ales. You will receive a warm and friendly welcome, somewhere for the local's old and new to gather around and exchange banter, much the same as customers have done here for generations. The Star Brasserie and Bar is a perfect example of a cosy country pub, we endeavour to make your visit a happy one whether you are dining in our restaurant, eating in the bar area or calling in for a drink. Our reputation now and in the future is founded on providing and maintaining a customer service that exceeds our customers' expectations.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Wake up Wakefield. This is the best restaurant by any standard.”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

From booking by phone to leaving after our meal tonight the experience was just amazing.

This meal was to celebrate our Ruby wedding anniversary. I asked for a quiet romantic table and I got it. What a great start to what turned out to be one of the best meals we have had in many (40 to be exact!!!) years.
The service was second to none. The staff were like friends without being intrusive. The food was just exceptional.

If you want fish and chips for a fiver, go to the Wetherby Whaler. If you want two steak meals for a tenner. don't come here. If you want brilliant, amazing food with excellent service and in a place which is buzzing then come here. It doesn't have to be a special occasion, because you will be made to feel special.

We will make this place a habit. Why on earth has it taken so long for us to discover what is on our doorstep.

The Star certainly lives up to its name. Thank you for giving us a most memorable 40th anniversary. See you soon

Martin and Gill

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Martin S

“Disappointing experience, but great potential and quick wins could improve this pub.”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Positives - good tasty burger, but the order was incorrect we ordered the summer special burger with beer with a side order of Chips and side salad not the Star burger. - the front of house Manager (blonde lady) was very apologetic for our long wait and offered a complimentary. - very nice decor, very clean throughout especially the ladies, but one toilet was out of order on a busy evening.

Negatives - the waiting staff would benefit from training from their lovely Manager. Customer service skills are a skill not shared by some of the team. Take care not to have private conversations in front of your customers or share frustrations when the pumps dry up needing attention. - 2 burgers took an hour to arrive, we were informed 25 minutes before arrival of food that it was on its way.....and waited. I don't mind waiting, but please manage expectations and tell patrons up front. We had arranged to meet friends for a drink afterwards and had to cancel. - The card machine was out of order, again we were informed after we had ordered, please let us know up front to avoid concern and embarrassment about paying and inconvenience of nipping out to the cash machine at Asda. Do you really have just one card machine with no contingency. - the tables are too close together I know the intimate details of the table next to ours, we vacated quickly to the bar area to drink coffee - consider your playlist on a previous lunchtime visit the chef was playing his personal playlist- rock music played at volume is not conducive to a pleasant dining experience, he did turn the volume when asked. Our latest experience was a little better and volume okay , but a consistent approach is needed here. - our bill was incorrect, beer had been missed off but we were charged £14.95 for a bottle of wine we hadn't had, quickly corrected but I wouldn't expect such a basic mistake to be made. The Manager was apologetic when brought to her attention.

Despite the poor overall experience on a busy Friday evening I have rated as 'average' based on the quality of the food which was good. I will return as I prefer to patronise small local independent businesses. I do think this venue has great potential but based on my recent experiences needs work to improve to give a consistently good dining experience comparable with other pubs offering food in the local sandal/Walton area.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Wendyhouse64
Yorkshire
“Good lunchtime snack”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Eaten in the evening and had Sunday Lunch and been very happy. Today called in for a sandwich and was pleased again with the cost and very good quality of the food. Can recommend the fish finger sandwich which was excellent.

• Visited July 2014
West Yorkshire
“Average-not baby friendly.”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

My husband, 5 month old daughter & our 2 friends visited with their son who is 18 months old after a walk around newmillerdam in the sunshine. Our friends recommended here as they visited whilst she was pregnant 18 months ago.
We arrived to an empty car park (on a Saturday lunch at 12:30) which I always think is worrying.
We sat, ordered drinks and food. I would recommend possibly one or two more choices of sandwiches on the lunchtime menu-there are four choices. I ordered the steak sandwich, with blue cheese and caramelised onions with chips at £6.95. We requested a high chair, one arrived minus a tray. I asked for the tray and the waiter stated it didn't come with one. Not too fussed as my 5 month old wasn't eating but kept dropping her toys.
Our food arrived, presentation was excellent-husband really enjoyed his burger. My steak was extremely thin, blinked and I missed the blue cheese.
My daughter needed changing mid meal, my husband took her to be changed only to be told they do not have baby changing facilities (strange) so we had to change her in the back of his extremely hot car. Without sparing you the details it was a soiled nappy so was very hard changing her on a sloping seat. Cue, screaming baby and stares from other customers which did arrive eventually. Took her back in and my meal had been taken away (don't know whether this was because our friends had said I'd finished)
Then my friends son needed his nappy changing and also had to use their car.
All in all I can't say I'll be returning or recommending this place.
Food was okay, nothing special, facilities-shocking for babies (I'm not asking for a crèche, but a changing mat would've been nice). Positively, the waiter was polite!

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Amazing food”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Took my partner for a meal. The food was beautiful. Two very empty plates. We will certainly go again.

• Visited July 2014