“Outstanding ”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I visited Iris on Friday with high expectations - and they were most definitely met.
We had three courses and enjoyed every mouthful. The scotch egg is a work of art, absolutely beautiful.
We mistakenly ordered a couple of side orders to go with our mains, thinking the portions would be small. But they were more than adequate and extras were not needed (though were very tasty).
I'm usually more of a starter person than a dessert, but as you can get three courses for a set price, we went for it
I can honestly say the sea salt caramel choc tart is the best dessert I've ever tasted! The honeycomb was gorgeous and the peanut butter mousse divine.
The staff were pleasant and attentive without being overbearing.
Price wise, it was worth every penny. Out of my usual price range but I've spent a similar amount elsewhere and not enjoyed the food or experience as much. Can't recommend highly enough.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Was in a party of four at this lovely restaurant. Warmly welcomed by the staff who were great all evening. Ate upstairs in a contemporary room. Good choices on both the wine and food menu. The menu is mainly a set price for tow or three courses tough it is extra for the grill. Side orders are also extra. Two of us had the Bridlington Crab which was well served. The pate was also good. The mains were superb-I had hake which was cooked just right. The belly pork looked super as well. Small choice of dessert but again it was all super. Do note that if you feel full best not to go for the doughnuts!
A very enjoyable dining experience.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked a wedding lunch at Iris for 16 people. Liam, Laura and the team opened especially for us. The food was delicious, with most of the dishes being ordered by someone or other, and no complaints at all. The service was first class throughout with no request being too much trouble. The atmosphere of the upstairs was clean, modern and tastefully functional. I'd recommend this as a lovely venue for a pleasant evening meal out, or for a celebratory occasion.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

8 of us were seated in the downstairs of the restaurant on the 8th Aug. We were greeted by friendly, welcoming staff, that were efficient & we were never left too long between courses, but neither badgered too much.

The courses were interestingly presented in a contemporary way, that gave the restaurant it's unique creativity. The entire party enjoyed every course, the steaks particularly were cooked to perfection and portions were of a decent size, not so big that we were left full to bursting, but enough to fill a hole. I also must say a thank you for the extra time of preparing a separate meal for the worlds most fussiest eater. It just shows the effort the Iris go to to make sure that all guests are catered for.

Overall I feel the meal was good value & delicious, the flavours are quite unique. I would definitely return again, and advise any persons looking for a romantic evening (additional, more quiet seating upstairs) or a party looking to enjoy a celebration to try this little gem, they are rare in the area of Wakefield.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Being a stranger to Wakefield I went through Tripadvisor to find a restaurant for our anniversary. Iris do a special discount for early birds and that suited us down to the ground as we had had a busy day in the area.
The place is spotless, the food excellent, but, maybe because it was early, there was no atmosphere. Also it was a little on the pricey side even with the discount. Given it's location, which is not the most glamorous , it is pushing it price wise. I think with tip we paid nearly £70 and that was with the discount.
I can't fault the food though and we liked the limited menu - too many places have huge lists which means it takes ages to decide.
All in all we would recommend it though.