“Delightful”

Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Wakefield
Price range: US$1 - US$13
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Tea room/coffee shop selling speciality teas, home baked cakes and scones along with hearty soups and sandwiches which are made with artisan breads. We are also a gift shop selling home-wares, gifts, Annie Sloan paint and vintage furniture.
Reviewed 23 October 2018

Went there for some afternoon tea. We wanted to go to the place ever since siri suggested it (we always obey our AI overlords). It was an extremely enjoyable afternoon. The service was excellent and the staff really friendly. The only thing was that I found the cakes a bit too sweet. Besides that, everything else was delightful. Will go again.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

Waiting times for food at lunchtime are far too long. There is a warning on the menus that service may be slow during busy times, which means that the cafe owners acknowledge the issue but choose not to do anything about it. The food and drink offerings aren't really spectacular enough to justify the wait, either.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

We always go to Marmalade! At the moment, simply for the delicious variety of cakes they have! Working not far from Marmalade, my whole team often harp on about nipping down and buying these wondrous cakes, they are always rich and soft and plenty of filling! They even do vegan options! We're definitely going to have afternoon tea here, it looks exquisite. If you want a great coffee and cake venue in Wakefield, look no further!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 3 October 2018

I've visited Marmalade on the Square numerous times and I cannot fault the coffee, the food or the delicious cakes.
The setting is fun in a shabby chic kind of way. I'm not sure about the arts and crafts display of paint and upcycled furniture for sale... It's usually busy so surely they could do with the space for more tables?
My only issue is the lack of 'botheredness' when it's really busy. There isn't a rush in the staff! I waited 25 minutes for a bacon roll - I'd finished my coffee by the time it came. Just a word to say "Sorry, we're behind in the kitchen, can I offer a top up?" would set them apart from the crowd.
It's no doubt a successful and quality establishment.

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

Perfect little vintage bistro type coffee shop. Called in here for a cuppa and rest after a day shopping the staff were all very pleasant and even brought my partner a glass of water after noticing him coughing quite a lot. Very reasonably priced and the drinks were great. Alot of people were ordering food that looked great. I would definitely not miss this if in Wakefield it's beautiful, comfortable and very welcoming.