“Ok, but a bit of an after thought” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blorenge House

Blorenge House
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Leeds
“Ok, but a bit of an after thought”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

Location is excellent, just a 15 minute walk from the train station and 5 mins into the town centre. The road it is on is very nice, really quite quaint. Presentation outside isn't great, not sure if there is some work going on but there was a skip and it all looked a bit shabby. Rooms are ok, but not to my taste, bright red carpet with bright red chairs, bed cover bright red and looks like it was bought at a flea market. Also a bit strange was that the sink and toilet was at one side of the room and a tiny shower cubicle (with an empty soap dispenser) at the other side? Overall, it was just ok to lay your head for one night on business (free wifi which is good) - don't expect much else.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank flyrobfly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

Booked this hotel for my partners medals parade it is walking distance to the town and a small drive to camp so location is perfect, staff were very friendly and helpful I was in a top floor room and the gentleman helped me with my bags to my room if booking this hotel and your not good with stairs see if they can book a room where you haven't got to climb many stairs
Breakfast wasn't great but staff were very helpful and friendly when ordering
Only problem when I booked was I didn't realise some rooms were a shared bathroom so it was a nightmare in the morning when having to wait for the shower, advise is check when booking if it has on suite or shared bathroom
As a whole though very nice hotel, clean, tidy and staff very friendly

Room Tip: Check to see it has on suite as some rooms have a shared bathroom and there are lots of stairs so as...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Nice hotel. helpful with disabled mum although quite a few steps. Breakfast not that great, good idea to have good quality sausages not catering ones. heating of rooms needs to be addressed, no good coming on when guests going to breakfast and out. breakfast times not very good, I work full time so had to set alarm early as if I was going to work and not on holiday.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Phoned about 3 hours before I anticipated arriving to reserve a room. Wanted bed only as I needed to leave early in the morning. Was quoted £50 which I accepted as I didn't have time to look around for something cheaper. It was made clear on the telephoned that I would be expected to 'settle up on arrival'. On arrival the greeting was friendly enough, what I would describe as business-like rather than 'warm'. The house smelled of polish, but decor appeared dated.

The room was clean but small, basic, and had cheap fixtures and fittings. Had a shared shower room, which was clean and the shower had a reasonably water flow.

I discovered afterwards that B&B would only have been £6 more than the £50 I paid, and I consider that my stay wasn't particularly good value.

Did it do what I needed it to do? Yes, I had a bed for the night. Would I stay again? It wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Belinda1962
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

A warm welcome awaited us. A very traditional hotel with a four poster bed, very clean and updated where required. Full English, toast and cereal for breakfast very nice although only served until 8.30. Plenty of parking space and easy walk to the main town. Worth a visit if you like a bit of character rather than the more clinical feel of newer hotels.

• Stayed October 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Three Night Stay in August 2011

(By the time I left this review the option for August 2011 had been removed from the pick list).

I was recommended to this venue by a couple of friends who had stayed there during the spring, while visiting Taunton for a Cricket match.

Although when I visited the price had increased as my booking was in the “high” season (August). When I discovered the price I thought it was expensive (and still do); but further research showed Blorenge House to be mirroring its competitors rates.

The rate for my room, described as a “Single” room, but containing a double and a single bed) was reduced as it had a shared bath room and lacked a DVD player. It was clean and the bed comfortable. The staff (I would guess they are a family: Father, Mother and Daughter but I did not ask) were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was enjoyable, but could maybe be improved by the addition of options other than the Full English.

The only criticisms I can make are that the lights were dim in my room,but that seems to be the case in many accommodation venues; and having said that they were quite adequate for reading. Also there was no explanation of how the two TV remote control units worked together, which would have been helpful.

There is also a bar and swimming pool, which weren't mentioned when I booked in (although as I drink rarely and am not able to swim this did not bother me greatly).
If you are tall I would recommend that you request a room without a sloping roof as this could cause a problem; but at 5 foot 6 inches it caused me no problem.
While staying here I found an excellent Thai restaurant about 5 minutes walk from The Blorenge House, named The Lotus Flower, which is well worth a visit.
When I return to Taunton I will be booking into both again.

Room Tip: If you or any of your party are tall it may be a good idea to mention this when you make your bookin...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
prestatyn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Spent one night there on the way to Cornwall. A little like the Marie Celeste, Someone greeted us pleasantly enough but said if we had any questions go to reception, pointed with her arm saying the dining room was in that direction! Room clean, adequate. Breakfast good. But it did have the feeling of a Nursing Home!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends