“Needs updating and a good clean”
Review of Blorenge House

and 1 more site!
Blorenge House
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
“Needs updating and a good clean”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

To be honest I was here for one night, and have to say I didn't really enjoy my experience. The staff I cannot fault as they were very polite. That aside the room I was staying in smelt stale and was in need of a good old scrub. There were other peoples hair on the bed pillows and arm chair in my room which made me feel rather disgusted. The furniture within the room was sticky and needed a good wipe down. The bed was a small double which didn't really accommodate my needs even though I'm only 5'11. The morning breakfast was awful the egg was like jelly and the bacon was literally only half cooked, the condiments were filthy and again had stray hairs on them, felt physically sick and couldn't wait to check out, very disappointed! Although I knew there was no air con I would have expected there to be bedroom fans in the room or readily available considering the weather.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Albear1979

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Looks: Their pictures give the impression of an old grandeur, in reality it's more like a retirement home.

Breakfast: Pretty standard. Was disappointed when instead of a full english breakfast I asked on the second morning for just egg and beans for my toast, and was given the same tiny portion I would've had if I'd had it with everything else!

Room: On the plus side there was a fan, great for the heat. On the down side, the room was right next to the breakfast area so we were woken up at 8am both mornings by crying children, clanging plates and cutlery and people talking, all right outside our room. Otherwise it was pretty standard.

Price: Not a terrible price, but upset that the room rate for the one by the breakfast room wasn't cheaper than the others due to the noise. They did apologise for this and offer a luxury room at a discounted rate if we were to return in future, but we won't.

Service: Everyone was very pleasant, but it wasn't very personal. Very much "hello, here's your room, goodbye".

Facilities: They had a swimming pool which was closed for some reason, there was a limited number of leaflets for things to do in the area, but they did have a book in the room supplying some local information.

In summary, a disappointing experience. We were hoping for a relaxing experience in what seemed a grand old interior based on the pictures and were left being woken up prematurely in an old people's home!

Room Tip: Don't stay downstairs and stay well away from the breakfast area (not room number 9!)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RyanBeard
Middlesbrough UK
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Must agree with the reviewer from November 2013. This hotel was overpriced for our stay, and should be providing a much better standard for the tariff we were being charged. Yes it does smell musty on arrival, there is a mix of furnishings and the bathroom adjoining our 4 poster room needed a refit to more modern standards. Compared to many breakfast was average although served by friendly staff. I am afraid I will look elsewhere for my next visit.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Foggy122
Manchester
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I booked a single room, not ensuite. It was serviceable but very hot indeed because the blind on the Velux had not been closed. The room had a bit of that fusty 'b and b' atmosphere - maybe it hadn't been aired for a while. Having said that I had a good night's sleep, and breakfast was served slightly earlier at my request because I had a train to catch. The selection and service at breakfast was good. The location was perfect for my requirements - 10 minutes walk from the station.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CheshireCat_8
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were going for a weekend visit to an old friends surprise birthday in Taunton, planned to go by train and wanted a hotel that was near the town and the station. It was a most pleasant surprise to find the Blorenge House hotel in the right location,and the right price.Unknown to us two further families that we knew from many years ago were staying there. We found the staff at the hotel friendly, the room comfortable with en suit, We really enjoyed our full English breakfast. The garden was pleasant and quiet, just right for relaxing. The weekend was too short.We will use the Blorenge when we next go to Taunton. Thanks for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Check the rooms on the website, our room faced the road, but was pleasantly quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here from 11th to 13th July. Booked an en suite room with a 4 poster bed which was great. We had a good welcome and we're not disappointed with our room. Breakfast was great and all dealt with by the ladies on shift with a smile. Great hotel that I would recommend to anyone visiting Taunton.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martnico
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight and can honesty say this was a lovely hotel. Worth every penny. Staff were friendly and helpful, room was clean and garden well presented. The photos I saw beforehand of the hotel need updating as I was surprised by how nice it was. This was a value for money hotel to be recommended!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business