“One Night Stop Over”
Review of Catwell House

Catwell House
Ranked #4 of 54 Taunton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This was just what we were looking for and found a gem. Nice quite location, warm welcome from hosts and excellent comfortable, beautiful four poster room. Freshly cooked and tasty breakfast. Will definitely be making a return visit. Strongly recommended.

Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Catwell House

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights with our 2 dogs.great for walks as the house is on the edge of the village looking over fields.
The house is beautiful with a garden where we were given tea when we arrived.Ross and Becca great hosts,organised a table at the local pub for dinner.
There is a lovely room on the ground floor with direct access
to the garden,it had been booked so we didn't stay there but ideal for dogs.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 rooms linked by a bathroom.double bed was really comfortable
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at Catwell House whilst on business. The house is gorgeous and the room we stayed in was extremely comfortable, spotless and relaxing. We were made extremely welcome by Ross and Rebecca, with a fire to greet us in the sitting room and wonderful breakfasts in the mornings.
The village is very close (although you really feel as if you are way out in the countryside at the house) and we were not disappointed by our hosts recommendations for places to eat. They reserved a table for us on the first night.
All in all, although we were staying at Catwell House whilst working, it felt like a holiday and I left feeling refreshed. I would highly recommend this for both business and leisure trips and hope to return again on a getaway..

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Rose M
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Every year we have a family get together and this year we decided to meet in somerset. As we are a large family we couldn't all get to stay in the same place, so four of us booked into Catwell House and we had the best deal by far! Not only is it beautiful from the outside and set in an idyllic location, the inside is just as wonderful. The hosts, Ross and Rebecca, were extremely welcoming friendly and accommodating, so much so that they let the rest of the family come round the next day and use their pretty little garden to have an impromptu tea party for my sister's birthday, perfect! I would definitely recommend this amazing little hideaway and can't wait to go back and visit. One last thing, as always, I usually leave something behind and this time it was two items of clothing, we contacted Catwell House and they sent the items back the very next day. I have yet to thank them for this, so, thank you so much!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lorna B
Reviewed 29 May 2014

To the village of Williton for business reasons. Catwell House had been booked for me for one night. You go down a lane, right to the bottom, and there it is tucked away on the left. What a lovely house, in beautiful country surroundings. I was in the room named Glebe. It was so nice I took a video to show Number One when I got home. Delightful furniture, spacious bathroom. Everything tasteful and functional. Good solid bed. Had a great sleep in a silence you only appreciate if you live in London. You can tell that a large amount of work and money has been invested in this establishment. That work has generated a warm, vaguely eccentric charm that eludes the kind of places that call themselves 'boutique', and so on.

Ross and Rebecca were very welcoming and helpful. The breakfast was tip top, with the eggs done exactly as requested. Later the following day I got a phone call from Ross to say they had found a T Shirt of mine that I had left in the room. I was working in the village and Ross offered to drop the item off in an envelope at my work venue, which he duly did. That really was very thoughtful, and the sort of detail that encourages return business.

I stay in many hotels and B&Bs as part of my work, and I can happily confirm that Catwell House stands out, for all the reasons described above. When I am next drawn to North Somerset, I will return. Thank you Ross and Rebecca.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited Catwell House for 2 nights for a last minute getaway. When we arrived we were greeted by Ross who welcomed us like long lost friends. Ross and Becca really could not be more friendly or helpful, wanting you to get as much out of the house, grounds and local area during your stay. Ross and Becca welcome pets and our pooch was welcomed by them as well as their dogs and cats, she just loved it and relaxed into her surroundings straight away. We stayed in the Monksilver suite which is located in a converted outbuilding to the side of the house. Monksilver is a beautifully appointed bed-sitting room of very generous proportions … with room for a baby grand piano (I kid you not), which sadly was lost on this talentless couple. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linens and towels of the highest quality. There is a good sized shower wet room with a splendid power shower. You could not fail to find something you like at breakfast … Ross is the chef and produced a really fine full English and for my vegetarian husband a wonderful mushroom omelette. There are also fresh fruits, yoghurt, cereal, toast etc. Note … if you make an arrangement with Becca for an extra early breakfast be sure to mention it to Ross … we asked for a 7 am breakfast on the last morning of our stay because I had to get home early for work … sadly the message didn’t get passed to Ross so when we turned up to dine the house was in darkness… We realised this must have been a mistake and crept away with empty tummies. At 8.30 am we received a call from Ross who was mortified and full of sincere apologies and he insisted on reimbursing us a generous portion of our fee. We were sad to miss our breakfast but sadder to miss the opportunity to say goodbye to Ross and Becca. Would we stay here again … we most certainly would, this is a fabulous hideaway with lovely hosts. Things we would recommend in the area … Watchet, Dunster Castle and village, The Stables Tea Rooms at Triscombe, The Bridgwater and Taunton Canal Centre at Lower Maunsel Lock, West Somerset Steam Railway.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnny-glen
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed at Catwell House for five nights while visiting friends, and what a brilliant find it was. Ross and Rebecca are great hosts, who made us feel welcome from the minute we stepped inside their door and they couldn't do enough for us. The house is in a beautiful spot with views of fields and hills and is very peaceful. We would recommend Catwell House to anyone looking for a relaxing stay in Somerset, and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the four poster room with a large bathroom with bath and separate shower, brilliant!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
The Corner House Hotel
#13 of 17 in Taunton
The Mount Somerset Hotel
Castle of Comfort Country House

Been to Catwell House? Share your experiences!