“Are you lonesome tonight!”

Mandarin House Chinese Buffet Restaurant
Ranked #189 of 257 Restaurants in Taunton
Price range: US$14 - US$25
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cardiff
“Are you lonesome tonight!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Turned up at Mandarin House after days cricket at about 7.30 pm on a Sunday evening. Place was completely empty! Question - to go in or not? The 5 star hygiene notice on door somewhat re- assured me so in I went. Met by very friendly staff and could sit where I liked. Now I have been to a few buffets in the past but never been the only customer - because obviously the whole point of a buffet is turnover. So somewhat concerned but need not have worried. Have seen greater selection but what presented was all hot and tasty. Also liked the home made Eton mess as one of their sweets. All in all most enjoyable and having how read some of the negative comments would encourage the local residents to give this place a chance. Oh by the way by the time I left there were five other diners!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank efcraig

Exmouth, United Kingdom
“happerly surprised”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had been before a while ago and wasn't , very impressed !
New owners, good lunchtime buffet, good service, will return :-)m

Visited May 2014
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
“if you like standard 'english' chinese you'll like it”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Can't speak for everyone else's experience here; seems some people like; some loathe. For standard British style chines buffet I find that it holds its own. Selection is what you would expect but with a few nice touches - black pepper beef cuts in sauce were very nice. Yes it looks like a drive through but it is clean inside and food was replenished while we were there.. when they saw me morosely picking through leftover black pepper beef. I have been twice now and left full on both occasions. It just never seems busy which is a shame. On the down side it is pricey in the evening and drinks are expensive when added to the standard food price... in buffets in the north there is tendency to get free soft drink refills which would be welcome. All in all very impressed with a couple of reservations. Don't expect haute cuisine and you won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Pete T
London
“NO KERB APPEAL AND THAT ALSO GOES FOR THE FOOD”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have passed this restaurant several times over the years during previous visits to Taunton. The building looks on the outside like a Happy Eater or Little Chef. On the inside it again looks like a Happy Eater or Little Chef. It does not have the atmosphere of what is expected from a Chinese restaurant.

For something that is described as a buffet restaurant their selection was extremely poor. 4 starters, 4 mains, dried up rice, Singapore noodles and that was it. Oh, I forgot the chips. In a chill cabinet were thinly cut slices of gateau; and when I mean thin, I mean thin. Then there was the freezer cabinet with 4 flavours of ice cream. You could determine the flavours by their colour though the thick coating of frost on top of each tub.

This was the worst Chinese restaurant I have been to, but I did not suffer any ill affects.

Then there were the friendly notices :" further food maybe refused, if food is left on the plate"

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank TerrythePotter
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“I wanted to be pleasantly surprised...but I was disappointed!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I read the reviews on here before going to this restuarent, and was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but unfortunately this was not the case.

I've been to quite a few buffet restaurants, and know the food isn't always as good as a normal restaurant, but this one was definitely the worst I've been to.

There is very little selection of food, although the dishes they do have are probably the more popular on a Chinese menu, however, it wasn't very tasty. Everything was quite bland, the sauces were very watery, just very flavourless.

The prices are very similar to those of larger Chinese buffets in the local area, which isn't reflected at all in what you get. The drinks are also expensive, I ordered a juice, and it was warm and very weak.

The staff were polite, and enthusiastic, which was the reason we left a tip, as nothing else was deserving of one unfortutely.

Overall I was very disappointed in this restaurant, the food was bland, sauces watery, drinks warm & the whole experience was very overpriced!

• Visited April 2014