“Curate's Egg”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taunton
Lower Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #47 of 53 Taunton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Whilst the location was beautiful, the rooms spacious and the hosts (mostly) accommodating, the fixtures and fittings are dated (dicey bed, pre-historic kettle, carpet in the bathroom, eugh), the room needed a very good clean (extremely cobwebby and very dusty skirting boards, mucky marks around the edges of the carpet) and the breakfasts a little more generous (full English = 1 slice bacon, 1 small sausage, 1 egg and 3 mushrooms with one cup of tea and one slice of toast) - especially as this isn't exactly a 'bargain'. Not the worst stay I've ever had, but the Premier Inn down the road is better value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Butterfluts

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at Lower Farm and left with a warm glow and half a dozen free range eggs.

Following a period of illness, we were hoping for some rest and recooperation during our stay. After a warm greeting, we were shown our room, which was a decent size and had all the facilities we needed, including a good shower. The farm itself was incredibly peaceful. Breakfast was tasty, fresh and generous. Doreen and John really went the extra mile for us, for example, repeatedly offered to make us tea, despite there being facilities for us to do it ourselves in our room. They also offered for us to rest beside the roaring log fire in the main house during the day if we wished.

Overall, we were treated like friends and left feeling refreshed and healthier than when we arrived. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Just spent a night at Lower Farm with my wife in a lovely King Size room with our daughter in another also generously proportioned room with good facilities. Beds very comfortable.

Our hosts, Doreen and John, were so welcoming and helpful, we felt we had made friends, and they introduced everyone at breakfast (which was a treat).

Top place to say, we'll be back

Peter Taylor

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We were lucky enough to spend the night at Lower Farm in June this year. We are from Australia and were driving around England, trying to see as much as possible. We were moving from place to place every day - only stopping to find somewhere to stay when we were sick of driving. We left the finding of accommodation a little late this particular night. our task was a little harder as we needed a single room and a family room. Lower Farm to the rescue!! A rural idyll, not too far from a pub and shops. We loved our spacious room and large bathroom and the location made for a peaceful sleep. Breakfast was superb, cooked to order by our genial hosts, Doreen and John. Was all the more tastier for having been cooked on the Aga! my minor niggle relates to no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, because of safety concerns with children and hot water. Whilst I understand the rationale, as a parent I have to look after the safety of my child where ever we are and I feel I am responsible enough to operate a kettle safely. Plus, I REALLY love a cup of tea before bed. Anyway, it was clean, comfortable, quiet, reasonably priced, our hosts helpful and friendly with a great breakfast. What more do you want?.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2011

our stay at lower farm was a bad choice, we had no tea making facilities in the room,
the dressing table was full of rubbish and old greating cards ect. 1 wardrobe was full of clothing and the other had a suit in it. also there was no facilities for washing your hair nice big en suit but only a bath no shower or shower head to fit on the taps and no hairdryer.
This was let out as a family room but was very unacceptable to be let to anyone.
Also as a smoker when i went down to go out for a cigarette at 11pm i was meet by the owner, and she asked me if i was going out as she had just locked up and was turning all the lights out. i told her i was going out for a cigerette I was not given a nice comment and felt unwelcome, said she would unlock and wait for me to come in.
To my HORROR she proceeded by removing a plank of wood from across the front door, i felt we was barricaded in and had no freedom to come and go as we wanted to.
also is a heath and safety issue.
we had booked into berakfast at 08.30 when we arrived and went down at 08.30 the following morning.when we went down, we were asked our you sure you want a full english breakfast the breakfast was being rushed, as the toast was put out before you started you cereal and as soon as was had our last mouthfull of cereal the cooked breakfast was put in front of you , also no pot of tea or coffee you was just given a cup and had to ask for a second cup.
But to our horror we was asked to leave at 09.00 so they can lay up for the next people coming in.
The family room in the farmhouse is not upto standard to be let out in my opinion.

Room Tip: Family Room in Farmhouse is not upto Standard
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cin7_11
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We were really impressed with our stay at Lower Farm which is situated in an extemely tranquil spot. The welcome was warm, our room was spacious and beautifully furnished and the bathroom was large and well appointed. When I asked if we could have something other than a huge thick duvet on our bed, there was no problem at all. Also it was nice to be able to choose a continental style breakfast. I'm sure my husband and I will be back for another stay when we are next in the West Country.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Despite being only five minutes from the M5, Lower Farm gives you the feeling you're in the heart of the countryside. It's very peaceful with beautiful buildings and tidy, well-kept gardens that guests are free to enjoy.
We stayed in one of the converted barns; our room was large and comfortable with a king-size bed that gave us a good night's sleep. Breakfast was a delicious home-cooked full English with cereals and as much toast as you can eat.
The owner is friendly enough and looked after us well - although I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of her!
Highly recommended.