“great evening” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tristans Bistro
Ranked #18 of 252 Restaurants in Taunton
Price range: US$16 - US$41
Cuisines: International, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: At Tristans Restaurant and Wine Bar is ran buy husband a wife partnership Ashley and Georgie. We have a monthly menu to keep things interesting and also keeping to seasonal produce.The restaurant itself has intimate tables for two as well as tables suitable for gatherings of friends up to 12 plus it has the benefit of the recently refurbished and redecorated Garden room making it a popular venue in Taunton for parties up to 26 for a wide range of events and celebrations.The addition of the bar and seating area at the front of the restaurant provides a relaxed wine bar feel and we now welcome diners and non diners to sit and relax with a glass of wine, pre-dinner aperitif or post dinner coffee.
Taunton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

visited for the first time on saturday,was greeted by Georgie who was very friendly and helpful,she said there might be a little wait as they were very busy but only waited 5/10 minutes for starters ,which were fantasic,we were in and out in just over a hour.great food ,great service,we found out later that the girls were new,well managed by georgie who was at the top of her game.

1 Thank pete f
TristansTaunton, Owner at Tristans Bistro, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Pete
Thanks very much for taking the time to review- what lovely comments- Thankyou so much and hope to see you soon

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Thanks for a lovely evening...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a great night. The food was fabulous and considering it is freshly made from scratch it was cooked to perfection with only a small waiting time - I have waited longer in a fast food restaurant!! I had two dishes which I have never tried before and thoroughly enjoyed both. Only critisism, the sweet menu was too difficult to choose - we narrowed down to two and shared them! The staff, were lovely - friendly and attentive - one of the young waitresses was experiencing her first night (and it was a very busy Saturday) and I thought she did extremely well. It was so nice to go to a restaurant where you didn't feel rushed, a lovely atmosphere and the whole restaurant had a cosy feel but you werent crammed in.

1 Thank Angeline O
TristansTaunton, Owner at Tristans Bistro, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Angeline
Thank you so much for reviewing us- clearly we are delighted by your comments.

Really happy that you enjoyed our food and the atmosphere.

It was a busy Saturday the night you came in (they usually are) and as you say our new waitress was thrown in at the deep end a bit- I was amazed she coped so well and she will be pleased that you agreed I guess that reflects well on Georgie, our manager,who is great at managing the busy restaurant and excellent at training the staff.

Sorry we couldn't help with the dessert dilemma, hope you made the right choice- I struggle with the same issue every day when Chef Ashley loads up the dessert fridge ;-)

Hope to see you soon

Somerset
“Sort of ok”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Visited with friends, staff are very friendly if a little muddled. Our food was ok but didnt look much like any of the pictures on here , if you like crunchy veg you'll be happy and chewy steak. The bill was messed up but after a bit of head scratching they managed to sort it out. Its not a place I would return to but I have had worse. On the whole not the place to visit for fine dining but ok if everywhere else is booked up.

1 Thank richmcgin
TristansTaunton, Owner at Tristans Bistro, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Rich McGin
Thank you for review although I am frustrated with your comments- You appear to be another customer who says one thing on the night then types something totally different on Tripadvisor.

My staff as you say are friendly and I would add very approachable- had you bought your comments around "crunchy vegetables and chewy steak" to their attention on the night you would have left a lot happier on the inside to match the happy outside you showed us.

Very confused around your comments about fine dining- At Tristans isn't a fine dining establishment- there are a couple of those in Taunton I could recommend where you can pay for the white linen fine dining experience- we are a friendly neighborhood restaurant serving good value, well cooked ( usually!), locally sourced food in a relaxed informal bistro/bar setting.

I have to say I don't normally get upset by reviewers as I welcome feedback but I don't like people being rude-But then looking at your other reviews where you refer to "the big girl being grumpy" I wouldn't expect you to be polite.

Regards
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Night out with friends”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had made the trip to Taunton along with a number of friends to catch up with another friend who knows and lives in Taunton. Tristan's was chosen as his wife had enjoyed a couple of meals there previously. The night was great fun......the company I have to say. The food was ok. A few of us had ordered chicken and all but two were badly undercooked. Now I wouldn't mark Tristan's less than average as the staff dealt really well with what could have descended into unpleasantness. However, undercooked chicken cannot really be excused.

Also, and this is a bit of a personal whine, check your wine list detail. As far as I am aware Rioja is a region of Spain so listing your Rioja as Italian is a little strange. Picky I know..sorry.

All in all we had a nice evening but can't increase the mark as stated.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi Ben and Sally
Thank you very much for reviewing- clearly I wasn't happy with the content but agree fully that under cooked chicken is not acceptable and I will speak with Chef to see what went wrong on this occasion.

I genuinely thank you for complaining on the night and allowing my team the chance to rectify and address your problems whilst in the restaurant and I am delighted that they excelled in dealing with things to your satisfaction - it is a huge frustration of ours and other restaurateurs when people leave seemingly happy then complain on TripAdvisor,

I do hope that this has not put you off trying us again and look forward to welcoming you back

Best wishes Cris
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Thanks for a great night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Just to say what a great night we had in your restaurant last night, from the minute we arrived your staff were attentive,friendly & very professional. There were 13 of us and everyone commented on the high quality of the food & the service. well done to the new waitress on her first night she looked after us well. Thanks again , we will definitely be back.

1 Thank peter c
TristansTaunton, Owner at Tristans Bistro, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Peter
Thank you so very much for your review- we loved having you as much as you loved being there.

Its always nice to get appreciative feedback, its a real boost to team morale :-)

Look forward to seeing you soon

Best wishes