“Enjoy the Farthings as we have!”

Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 30 November 2007

My wife and I have stayed several times at the beautiful Farthings, a truly delightful and well-run small hotel in the charming village of Hatch Beauchamp.

My wife chose it as the perfect setting for a surprise party weekend for my 60th Birthday, with many friends and relatives joining us from near and far afield. I thought we were to have just another pleasant short stay - but was greeted by the owner and staff and introduced to a dozen of my friends assembled, without my knowing, to wish me Happy Birthday! And then joined the next day by a couple of dozen more friends and family for a stylish dinner and fun party! It was amazing, made all the more memorable and enjoyable by the warmth, generosity and terrific organisation of the event by John and Kevin and their great team!

It is a rare place, offering great hospitality, a superb menu and wine list. I cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vicsparty

Reviewed 30 November 2007

Fathings Three Star Hotel, in my mind should not be rated, as they gave me a FIVE STAR SERVICE: The dining room had real silverware and the steaks were made to perfection!!! They gave one the impression that they knew what you wanted before you asked & more importantly they were: Attentive, Professional, and the place was so clean, that means a lot to me. The beautiful gardens and rooms charmed me. I can't wait to go back this time in the winter with the log fires!!! The Management said I could come back anytime, what they do not realize is that I will bring my friends also. They have thought of everything, PS. I forgot my teddy bear and guess what, there was one in the room!!! I own a hotel in Grenada, & wondered how would they treat another hotelier, well they made sure that they were going to give me their 5 star hotel experience; and it was one that I would never forget!!! This hotel stands alone: a beautifully run country hotel with a difference -- the personal owners touch. It's not good to name names but, Mr. Kevin Groves, was a real star!!!

Dr. Rudolph N M Sinclair
Hotel Owner
Grenada, West Indies

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank CoolrunningsGrenada
Reviewed 28 November 2007

The Bay room was delightful. Tastefully decorated- wonderfully comfortable bed - three piece suite - leather topped writing desk in bay window, acres of space.
The en suite bathroom ( accessed via a mahogany spiral staircase) was huge and luxurious.
Flat screen TV and DVD player - they even loaned me four DVDs to watch that evening free of charge!

The restaurant is top class and amazing value - chef cooks one of two meals to order - totally bespoke. 5 star service and food at reasonable rates.

The lounge areas are served by real coal/log open fires and sumptuous armchairs - complete with free nuts/ nut crackers and olives etc

A perfect overnight stay - and no, I don't work for them or own any shares in the business - I'm just a very happy customer - I'll definitely stay again when the opportunity arises.

The staff are courteous and friendly and very welcoming and nothing is too much trouble.

Even if you don't stay at the hotel you MUST visit the restaurant!

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 27 November 2007

"Simply done well", should be the motto of this idyllic hotel. Unassuming British hospitality, which has all but vanished elsewhere in the "hotelling industry" is here in abundance. The proprietor welcomed us in person and we immediately felt at home. Personal touches abound here, adding to the atmosphere of conviviality. My special requests were attended to without fuss. The appearance of the property is pleasing and the setting delightful. The room was of ample proportions, suitably decorated in good taste, but avoiding the dead-hand of head-office diktat.
Downstairs in the bar, the friendly staff were attentive and efficient without over-familiarity. We enjoyed an excellent gin and tonic by a roaring fire.
Nevertheless, the establishment surpassed all my expectations, built up by first impressions by the excellence of its menu, again unpretentious, yet both intriguing and inviting. British and continental styles were blended effortlessly, using the best local and seasonal ingredients. The wine menu was good value, but had an extensive range to suit all palates and pockets.
The following day, after a divine full English, we discovered the grounds: a well-kept garden which contained some of the secrets of just how local some ingredients were in the form of a variety of breeds of hen and duck, a kitchen garden well stocked with herbs, and a newly-planted orchard.
Could it be we have rediscovered the style and simplicity of the 18th century coaching inn? I leave that for others to judge, but this is undeniably a hidden jewel to be savoured and treasured by the cognoscenti, the exiles from copy-cat hotel chains, and those who simply value sensible style with a touch of zest in a welcoming ambiance surronded by the beautiful Somerset hills.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gourmando-style
Reviewed 27 November 2007

Only stayed for one night but that was long enough to know this is somewhere with a customer focus.
- Helpful staff.
- Great breakfast - delicious non-greasy fry.
- Easy parking
- Nice room.
- The shower was typically English - might be an issue if you are used to proper showers - but no worse than most in the UK.

Would recommend.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank A4Tune
Reviewed 27 November 2007

Nestled away in a charming village, this place is a sanctury of charm...lovely rooms, an excellent restaurant...amazing grounds with Geese, ducks and chickens roaming freely....my only critisicism is on the wireless internet not reaching my room but the hotel changed my room and everything was fine....well worth every penny ...... and heartly recommended

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank SJODubai
Reviewed 26 November 2007

This hotel tries it's up most to provide a lovely experience. Great so long as you are seen and not heard. BUT be so very careful. As they say, the true test of any business, is if you have any complaint (major or minor). This hotel takes it's image (fixtures & fittings) very seriously, to the point of ignoring guests own wellbeing and personal belongings. Don't expect any sort of apology or consideration from the owner. He was given ample opportunity to rectify our distress, but he simply choose to ignore it.

No matter how lovely a place may appear on the outside and how much effort is put into the appearance, it's the people that can make or break an experience.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family