“Would definitely return - friendly service, great food and accommodation. The cottage is great for families with a baby.”

Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed here at short notice on a stop over on our way to Devon. The man who greeted us at reception was very friendly.
We had booked a double room, but were given a large cottage next to the hotel instead. It had a kitchen, ensuite double bedroom, sitting room and conservatory. The kitchen was especially useful for preparing our toddler's food. There is direct access from the cottage to a garden at the back of the hotel with animals such as pigs, chickens and sheep in a fenced off area - these were an added bonus for our toddler.
We ate at the restaurant on the evening of our arrival. The service was friendly and efficient and the food was very good. I would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have a baby or child or if you just want more space, ask for the cottage, which has a kitchen...
1  Thank Outsidethebox

Reviewed 31 August 2011

Have only ever had wonderful food - and great service here. Really don`t know why anyone who lives locally would go anywhere else - many thanks, as always John.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oasthouses
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We were just in need of an overnight stay in the Taunton area so that we could visit family and so we were not able to sample the food at this hotel. We booked through www.hotel.com because we were offered a higher price when we tried to book direct. Nevertheless, we were delighted with our brief experience and we are confident that the food will match the hotel experience. The room and the service were both excellent and its very good value for money. We look forward to returning soon and we have recommended the hotel to family and friends.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

I went to the Farthings Hotel & Restaurant with my wife and her parents for a birthday lunch on Bank Holiday Monday. We were the only ones there which seemed strange especially after reading the glorious reviews.
The hotel is very pleasant, relaxing and well looked after. The service by the one person we could see was very good. He was very polite and well presented even though after showing me the wine I ordered, failed to ask me if I wanted to taste it. The food was nothing special. The starters we had were squid salad and soup which were very tasty and well presented. We ordered two pork loins, a sirloin steak and guinea fowl. The steak and guinea fowl arrived first, followed 7 minutes later by the pork loins. The pork loins were very tough and actually looked like pork belly to me as there was a great deal of fat on them. The steak was cooked well, rare as requested and served with garlic butter and chunky chips. There was too much garlic butter for my liking and the chips were not as tasty as they could’ve been. My wife’s guinea fowl was quite crisp on the outside and a little dry. At no time during the meal were we asked if everything was to our liking and although we mentioned about the pork when the plates were collected no explanation was given. The desserts were the best part of the meal, I had Somerset Brie, my wife had Brandy Chocolate Mousse and the in-laws had French Apple Tart. All in all the restaurant did not reach my expectations which was a shame. For £188.00, which was for 4 people including wine and some drinks, I would've expected something better.

6  Thank simdee2
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We just spent one night on the way back from a wedding and arrived tired and stressed but it was a really good place to unwind and we had a very good sleep. Since the bypass this is a very quiet spot (I grew up in the area and remember when the road used to thunder through the now peaceful village). The charming young man who greeted us told us that the present owner took it over in a bad way six years ago and there is perhaps still some refurbishment needed - the dining room is a bit tatty with wires attached to the dado rail etc but it is obviously on its way and is very comfortable and english country house in style, our bedroom at the back was also country house style and very comfortable with thoughtful touches like black out curtains which meant we had a great sleep. Breakfast was cooked to order and the lady serving was very cheerful and friendly. There's a comfortable sitting room and separate bar area and a lovely garden with dogs, chickens and pigs beyond which alll added to the rural ambience. All in all a very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I accompanied my husband to Farthings as he was on a business trip and as I was on holidays I travelled with him. He has used the hotel previously and had told me how good it is. If is beautiful, obviously cared for and much loved by its owners. From the moment you walk in you are treated well. The staff are friendly, helpful and very approachable. The room we stayed in was the Rowan Suite right at the top of the hotel (which has twelve rooms). The room was beautifully furnished with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, two two seater settees, a wide screen TV and some really good quality antique tables etc. It was the little things that delighted me, the china teapot and bottles of water in the room. We were also advised that there was fresh fruit and milk in a fridge just down the corridor. During the day there is an air of calm throughout the hotel, classical music playing quietly and comfortable chairs and settees in the public areas. It was a glorious day which also meant that the garden which is equally as well cared for could be enjoyed. Just to remind you that you are in the countryside there a chickens, pigs and sheep in pens right at the bottom of the ground - it was delightful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2011

.We loved the atmosphere and the accommodations of this hotel. The miniature farm behind the house with the pigs, chickens, lambs, geese, roosters, and ducks were charming. We had the attic room called "The Rowan," which was spacious, warm, welcoming, and clean. Bed was comfy, and the staff was accommodating to bring up dessert.

Our only complaint was the extreme overpriced fee of the room. We ended up paying $250 USD/night, which I felt was VERY overpriced. The room was beautiful, but I feel like it should've been $150 USD/night...Especially since it was out in the country, requiring either a rental car or taxi to get to Taunton.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple