We booked here as it was listed as "dog friendly" and initially seemed to be so. The cottage, although decorated in "poor taste 1980s" had a shared but lovely garden for the dogs to romp in. Small problems we were more than prepared to overlook: for instance the kitchen floor was covered in dirt and coffee as was the washing machine. The shower was less than a trickle and the bed was better on one side!
Our problems began when on the second day we were relaxing with a cup of coffee when the door burst open at about 14.30 and a lady began to clean the kitchen with the front door wide open. Privacy considerations aside..........(no she did not knock!) I asked her politely if we could have the door closed as the dogs were loose in the room. She retorted that we have to keep an eye on our own dogs. I asked what would have happened if we had not been there (for instance at breakfast) she was insistent that our dogs were our responsibility.
The manager was spoken to and said that we could put a notice on the door if the dogs were there. I asked why we should have to as we had booked the place with the dogs! No consideration was given to the lack of propriety of the cleaner's behaviour. Why would anyone leave their stuff in a place where the doors were left wide open?
Unable to trust that our dogs would be safe: we came home: another 7 hour drive: only to find that "other charges" had been added on to our credit card bill AFTER WE LEFT. These were not authorized by us. This place is extremely expensive anyway so ANY extra charges are unwarranted.
This whole experience left a nasty taste!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delightful Country House Hotel. The building dates from 1762 and carries many of it's original fetures. Delightful, individually decorated rooms, lovely restaurant offering the best of locally sourced & seasonal produce, log fires by winter and lovely gardens by summer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Odigeo, Book Direct Rooms, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Farthings Country Hotel
- Farthings Country Taunton
- Farthings Country House Hotel And Restaurant Taunton, Somerset