“Total relaxation”

Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 17 January 2008

We've just returned from a 3 night stay at farthings. Our friends recommended it to us as a perfect place to chill out and we totally agree! Great ambience, attentive staff, lovely room, a good nights sleep and the restaurant knocks out some fabulous food. We'll definately be back!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 4 January 2008

We stayed at this hotel in the first week of 2008 at short notice booking via late rooms.com. We booked for £49 which this hotel was one of a handful at this price, given the late booking date. As always I logged onto Trip Adivisor to see what reviews there were on the hotel. I was happy to see good reviews. I continued with our booking.

On arrival, we were shown our room. (Cedar) Whilst we weren;t expecting the best room at the hotel (given our late booking and reduced rate I suppose) we did expect a bed longer enough to acomodate a 6ft tall man! The bed was a small double - we're not sure when the top of the headboard was last cleaned (well yes i do as I cleaned it!). There was a large amount of dust on the headboard. Overall the room was not comfortable, two wicker chairs to sit at to watch TV or admire the view from the room (which was nice) a small double bed which seemed rather short and the shower was the smallest we have ever used.

We feel we certainly got given the most basic room due to the fact we booked at a discount rate. (There was no bath in the room).

We were advised to help ourselves to milk, orange jucie and goodies from the fridge on the landing which was a nice touch although there was only ever milk in there when we looked.

We booked for breakfast and checked the hotel 'guest information' folder in the room, we were pleasantly surprised to see that it stated breakfast did not finish at a certain time convenient for the 'late risers'. Great we thought we will have a lie in. We went downstairs for breakfst at 10.55 to be told it had finished at 10.30 am (usually at 10am), and we were asked where we got the information about there not being a deadline on breakfast, when we advised 'in the hotel information pack' we were greeted with a surprised look - it appears that no one has ever experienced this before - is the room only ever opened for late room bookings - and the updating of the guest information pack overlooked - like some of the cleaning?

It would have been nice if the staff had offered us something basic like toast and marmalade before starting our long journey home, but no nothing. Within 5 mins of us leaving our room to go for breakfast a member of staff had enetered our room and advised reception that we had left a coat in the room. We hadn't even checked out.

We have travelled extensively, and whilst this hotel has a lovely setting (farmyard animals in the garden and is lovely and quiet) the attention to detail and attiude of the staff just wasn't up to par.

I wonder if it would have been different if we had paid full price?

The hotel advises a reservation for the restaurant - but when we popped our head in there were only 3 couples and there was no ambience. We headed to the Bird in Hand in West Curry about 4 mile drive away and had an excellent 3 course meal, rustic local produce with a great atmosphere for the same price the restaurant was offering.

Would I stay there again, no. Whether you pay a reduced rate or full rate the hotel should offer a certain standard. The room we had was advertised on late rooms as having a price of £130 per night per room, if we had of paid this I would have been asking for a refund!

Sorry - all the previous reviewers must have stayed in a different room, had a good nights sleep and a totally different experience to the one we had.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank NettyandPaul
Reviewed 31 December 2007

We were greeted by a roaring log fire in the lounge... and another in the bar.... and in the main, it just kept getting better! Very very comfortable and atmosperic small hotel with excellent service (although expensive). Wonderful restaurant cuisine.
The only niggle was showers not up to scratch.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank john1827
Reviewed 9 December 2007

Comfortable and friendly hotel in a quite location - ideal really!

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank BristolEric
Reviewed 2 December 2007

Although booked extremely last minute i.e 1 hour before i needed the room I'm extremely glad I did. Within 5 minutes of the booking the hotel contacted me to inform me that as the rrom i requested wasn't available they would upgrade me for a small additional charge.

Upon arrival the hotel was situated in a sleepy tucked away corner of Somerset with a nice local pub up the road for those that don't want the delights of fine cuisine, and if the breakfast was anything to go by then the evening meal would have been outstanding.

The room ended up being what can only be described as a small house. Ok it wasn't that big but being in a small annex off to the side gave an impression of even greater space with the benefit of added peace and tranquility. From the superb Queen size, and may I add COMFORTABLE, bed to the exquisite lounge and bar area with real fires to warm the outside whilst the excellent drinks range warms the inside, I find it extremely difficult to fault this hotel. All the staff were friendly and courteous, the hotel spotlessly clean, warm and inviting with ample secure parking I would most definitely stay again even if if i have to pay the full rate next time.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank wylie_eyed
Reviewed 1 December 2007

Farthings is a fascinating place with its extensive gardens and varied architecture. Our room was very comfortable and we really appreciated the fresh milk for making tea. My mother - in her 89th year - would have liked a handle to facilitate getting in and out of the shower but otherwise, we couldn't fault the room. The staff were all extremely helpful and made every effort to meet our needs. The food was delicious and we especially liked sitting by the log fire to drink our coffee after dinner. I'm sure we'll be back.

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank RigantonaPowys
Reviewed 30 November 2007

My wife and I have stayed several times at the beautiful Farthings, a truly delightful and well-run small hotel in the charming village of Hatch Beauchamp.

My wife chose it as the perfect setting for a surprise party weekend for my 60th Birthday, with many friends and relatives joining us from near and far afield. I thought we were to have just another pleasant short stay - but was greeted by the owner and staff and introduced to a dozen of my friends assembled, without my knowing, to wish me Happy Birthday! And then joined the next day by a couple of dozen more friends and family for a stylish dinner and fun party! It was amazing, made all the more memorable and enjoyable by the warmth, generosity and terrific organisation of the event by John and Kevin and their great team!

It is a rare place, offering great hospitality, a superb menu and wine list. I cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank vicsparty