“Ideal Meeting Venue”

Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I use the Farthings hotel regularly for team meetings and the Staff can't do enough to accomadate us. They are very flexible given our ever changing requirements and are always friendly and helpful.

The location is ideal, and the setting and surroundings so much more appealling than faceless hotel chains.

The lunchtime food is fantastic, I'm sure that dinner would be even better.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Nic9099090

Reviewed 22 July 2008

As a result of it's position in the Taunton listings here, used The Farthings for my wedding reception. (A quiet one: 11 adults!)

The booking was simple &, as we wanted, left for us to choose what we required. From then onwards, John (the Manager) regularly contacted me to check plans.

The reception went without a hitch, with great staff, food & drink. (Unfortunately, too much of the latter meant my wife & I slept past the evening meal time, but it wasn't really required due to the previous consumed!) All of my 'guests' were impressed with the hotel grounds.

Our room was superb: excellent cleanliness & facilities.

As we both thoroughly enjoy sitting outside in lovely grounds, with a glass of wine, playing with dogs the evening was spot-on!

I agree with others that The Farthings certainly isn't the cheapest accommodation you could find in the area, but cheaper means .......

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank neo680
Reviewed 13 July 2008

The location is quiet . The house is attractive and the rooms are well-appointed and spacious. The staff are friendly and attentive. However a pleasant one night's stay for two of us was rather undermined by some astonishing prices for food and drink.
We chose the 2 course dinner, and had one small glass of house wine each, preceded by a small sherry and a gin and tonic. For this we were charged £93!! The food was of a reasonable standard but by no means outstanding. And for a modest cooked breakfast you will pay £14 each.
Therefore our advice would be, by all means stay at the hotel, but the public house 200 yards down the road will provide much better value for food and drink . Or you could drive into Taunton.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
5  Thank MichaeljohnChorley
Reviewed 10 July 2008

I have stayed at the Farthings now four times since January 2008 on business. The Farthings is a small quiet hotel in a little village with just the sound of ducks quacking out the back. Lots of good car parking. The welcome and service is excellent and the rooms are huge and lovely. The bathroom in the room that I have had has a shower that blows you away and big soft towels, flannels and bathrobes. And then there are the beds- big beds- the sort of beds that you get into and never want to get out of with the most lovely pillows. I have overslept every time I have stayed there. Unlike most hotels there is no plastic milk here. The milk for your tea in your room is taken from a fridge in the corridor, with a bone china tea pot and cups. Its the sort of place to go and get away from it all knowing that you are going to get peace and quiet, relaxation and be so well looked after. Dinner is always excellent and the scrambled duck eggs for breakfast is a must. Going back in September. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nickiy
Reviewed 25 February 2008

Ours was an excellent dinner party for 13 ladies (pre-nuptial 'do'!) and we had a splendid evening at Farthings. Everyone was made to feel very welcome and we were all looked after beautifully by all staff in the upmarket surroundings. The atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable and the food was absolutely delicious. Top quality.

I had Sea Bass followed by Treacle Tart. I can still remember the tastes, if you know what I mean! Other mains also extremely popular were Pan-seared Chicken and locally reared Slow-Roasted Lamb Shank, and puddings Fench Apple Pie and baked American Cheesecake.

The aperitifs were very good (with complimentary cashews and olives) and the wines were gorgeous. I would rate Farthings as highly recommended and I intend to return as soon as I can.
(I think the drinks were perhaps a bit pricey but I have said they were gorgeous and in the scheme of things it's bearable now and then.)

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 18 February 2008

I have stayed at Farthings now 4 times and every time has been a pleasure.

The hotel is beautifully presented, clean, comfortable and homely. The staff are very friendly and accommodating and nothing is too much trouble.

As a business traveller I would have no hesitation in using it for a corporate event or a most intimate family gathering.

The food is excellent and the breakfasts will set you up for the day.
The rooms are spacious and beautifully furnished

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2008

We have stayed several times at Farthings and each time we return we are always pleased with our reception. This January welcoming log fires were burning in the reception rooms. Our Garden room was lovely, the evening meal delicious and the staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed: January 2008