“Brilliant, Luxurious, Comfortable, Welcoming, Stylish, Expensive Dining”

Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 14 November 2009

My family (2 family groups) were staying here and we joined them for the evening including a dinner. The hotel is stylish, comfortable and luxurious and the proprietors and staff are very welcoming. The ambience of the bar area and the lounge with it's wonderful open fire and deep sofas makes you feel like it is your own home. The food was exceptionally good, but even so, very expensive for this area at £25-£30 for a main course. Also very small portions - and some vegetable accompaniments would have been nice. On the whole though a wonderful evening and my family all loved staying there.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank s0mersetsal
There are newer reviews for Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant

Reviewed 25 September 2009

I was travelling with my daughter. We arrived to the hotel and was greeted personnally by a lovely lady, then shown to our room WOW, it was amazing, we had a large twin room with its own front doo and a huge bathroom and dressing room, (just wished i was staying longer)..... all the trimmings i.e. tea/coffee, water, bisbuits, fresh milk in the fridge, even fresh flowers in the room. The grounds were also very beautiful. I did not eat there because we were visiting friends but the menu looked good,.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank sue1959Berkshire
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We are delighted to have found this charming hotel, set in a little sleepy village, yet close to Taunton and M5 motorway. Farthings Hotel is such a country idyll, with hens and ducks running around in the garden and a very friendly dog! It has drawn us back on several occasions in the past couple of years, as a perfect place to spend a relaxing few days, as the rooms and beds are so comfortable and the food and wine are superb. We enjoy the many different types of places to visit nearby and the coast and Exmoor are not far away either. We are hoping to be able to go again next year.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank EastRidingVisitor
Reviewed 23 September 2009

The Farthings hotel was a bit of a find, did not expect too much but was surprised by the service and the size of the well appointed bedrooms. I will be staying at the Farthings whenever I am down that way for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank GordonFarnham
Reviewed 22 September 2009

This is a chocolate box hotel to look at and the staff, surroundings and accommodation assign perfectly to this vision. It is an hotel to visit to recover from the rigours of the fast-moving world in which we wallow.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank perrylyn
Reviewed 17 September 2009

This is a pleasant Hotel in a pleasant area, but nothing out of the ordinary, the bed in Maple Cottage where we stayed was so hard we could not sleep and I do not think that anyone had ever cleaned behind the sink. The food ,served is extremely good but pricey so one would expect it to be so. On ringing to enquire if they had any vacancies for the dates I wanted I was offered a 'special deal' of two nights bed and breakfast with dinner included on both nights. I thought the price quoted to be a bit more than I wanted to pay but as the Hotel took dogs I was willing to pay this. Imagine my surprise then on checking out to be told that my bill was over double what I had been expecting!! Apparently " I should have realized that the price quoted was per night," and " we must have been talking at cross purposes", (I don['t think so).. If I had wanted to pay £460 for a two night stay in an hotel I would most certainly have chosen somewhere other than Farthings.

after being quoted a price which I believed to be for the whole stay. Unfortunately, on paying the bill I discovered that what I believed to have been a quote for 2 nights was the tariff for a

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AbigailO
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We got married at ‘The Farthings Country House Hotel’ on 23rd August 2009. We live in the locality and visited other similar venues in the area when searching for the perfect place to get married. The Farthings was a clear winner; warm, welcoming and friendly and the overall costs were comparable too – just what we were looking for. We booked The Farthings on an exclusivity basis, having full use of all the hotel rooms and grounds for the entirety of the wedding day, including ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening reception. Overnight accommodation for our day guests was followed by breakfast the next morning. The Farthings was a perfect size for our wedding (32 day guests + 40 more in the evening). The weather was kind to us and we were able to make use of the garden for our evening reception, which added something special. During the weeks leading up to the wedding we were in regular contact with John (the proprietor) who was charming and helpful throughout the whole process. 'Don't worry about a thing' he kept saying. 'Leave everything to us' We'll look after you'. He was completely right on all 3 counts. The day itself was absolutely delightful. John and all of his staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. The food and service were superb and all of our overnight guests reported their accommodation to be spacious and comfortable. Our room (Bay) certainly had the WOW factor with its spiral staircase to the bathroom and individual furnishings. The general ambience both inside the hotel and outside in the gardens made the occasion very special. In the words of one of our guests, ‘you could not have chosen a better venue’. We agree entirely and for anyone looking for a superb venue for a special occasion we could not recommend The Farthings highly enough. Our sincere thanks are sent to John and all the staff for helping to make 23rd August 2009 the day we will remember as ‘Our Perfect Wedding at the Perfect Venue’.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family