Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
US$224
US$172
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsguinea fowlbay roomspiral staircasemaple cottagehatch beauchampduck egggroupon dealcosy barfresh milkblack puddinglog firerear gardencontinental breakfasthome grownyoung staffupgraded roomsmall hotel
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I can't detract from some of the excellent reviews on this site about Farthings - it has a lot of good things about it which are worthy of praise such as the very welcoming dog, the first class service, the roaring fire in the lounge etc.

As a solo business traveller though, I'd have reservations about staying here again. Fearing that I might be snowed in, I was careful to choose a hotel that had a wi-fi network (I held images of toasting my feet by the open fire in the lounge while I logged on and did all my work on the laptop sat back in a comfortable armchair with a glass of Abbott Ale in my hand) but it turns out that the wi-fi network only works in the guest rooms and not in the public areas so, if you want to do any work, you've got to set yourself up on the dressing table in your room (there was no desk in my my room but I can't speak for any others) and sit in isolation while you do it. How much would it cost to put in another router to extend the wi-fi coverage?

While the lounge area is welcoming, it is small and would be uncomfortable if anyone else was already sat there while the bar area is minimal (only bottled beers and a limited range of other drinks). Fine if you're happy to sit and read a paper or a book in the evening but don't expect any social interaction because the place is empty.

Boredom drove me 100 yards down the road to a very welcoming pub for my evening meal where it turns out the wi-fi works throughout the building and the rates are cheaper. It might not be as well presented but I might consider shifting next time.

Coming back with my family, I might consider Farthings again, but not on my own.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank verchaixbob
Reviewed 4 December 2009

A Hotel full of charm and character in the heart of the countryside ran by a dedicated professional and frendly staff, the rooms were of the highest standard and well above the star rating of the hotel! With old school charm and all mod cons making for a very comfortable stay. The restaraunt was of a very high standard, utilising local produce and their very own free range eggs. This hotel stands out due to the personal touch and attention to detail from the owner/manager and staff. Many thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank AlistairJackson
Reviewed 14 November 2009

My family (2 family groups) were staying here and we joined them for the evening including a dinner. The hotel is stylish, comfortable and luxurious and the proprietors and staff are very welcoming. The ambience of the bar area and the lounge with it's wonderful open fire and deep sofas makes you feel like it is your own home. The food was exceptionally good, but even so, very expensive for this area at £25-£30 for a main course. Also very small portions - and some vegetable accompaniments would have been nice. On the whole though a wonderful evening and my family all loved staying there.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank s0mersetsal
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I was travelling with my daughter. We arrived to the hotel and was greeted personnally by a lovely lady, then shown to our room WOW, it was amazing, we had a large twin room with its own front doo and a huge bathroom and dressing room, (just wished i was staying longer)..... all the trimmings i.e. tea/coffee, water, bisbuits, fresh milk in the fridge, even fresh flowers in the room. The grounds were also very beautiful. I did not eat there because we were visiting friends but the menu looked good,.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank sue1959Berkshire
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We are delighted to have found this charming hotel, set in a little sleepy village, yet close to Taunton and M5 motorway. Farthings Hotel is such a country idyll, with hens and ducks running around in the garden and a very friendly dog! It has drawn us back on several occasions in the past couple of years, as a perfect place to spend a relaxing few days, as the rooms and beds are so comfortable and the food and wine are superb. We enjoy the many different types of places to visit nearby and the coast and Exmoor are not far away either. We are hoping to be able to go again next year.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends