“A brilliant way to relax”

Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
London, United Kingdom
“A brilliant way to relax”
Reviewed 20 June 2010

After a stressful week i decided to take my wife on a romantic long weekend on arrival we were greeted and shown to are room that had all the creature comforts needed from, a large television, welcome tray and an ever so comfortable bed. The restaurant and staff were simply fabulous, the food was simply first class local and fresh and cooked too perfection.

A brilliant way to relax for a couple of days, the grounds are a fantastic way to forget the world and its worries and sit with a lovely G&T.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shorty31

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2010

There was no "warm welcome" when we arrived and endured a mild interrogation for 10 minutes while checking in. The 3 rooms we had booked ,whilst well appointed and with comfortable beds, lacked attention to detail : one bathroom had used cotton buds in a bowl and half used shampoo on the bath ; another had no coffee and faulty radiator ; the third had at least a dozen flies on the walls and ceiling. We ate out both evenings as dinner at Farthings far more than we were anticipating. Good nights sleep both evenings in spacious beds. Breakfast both mornings was a let down : you make your own toast on a slow and temperamental toaster. The coffee pot ran out frequently and was slow to be re-filled. The cooked breakfast was basic and meagre in the extreme ( but of good quality). £14 per person for this was vastly overpriced ( and £8 for non cooked). Other guests confirmed that most mornings were like this. WiFi is £5 per day and by the staffs' own admission is not always available in all rooms. We chose not to take it but were charged for it anyway ! The money was eventually refunded after 3 months of emails ! Overall this lovely property seems to suffer from a policy of greed : Expensive dinner and breakfast , chargeable WiFi ( which universally is free nowadays) , at least £5 for a glass of wine. If you are on company expenses this will not matter but the rest of us will find better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank forgotten1
devon
Reviewed 9 February 2010

IMHO the measure of all good businesses is your treatment when things go wrong ,that being the case the service here would probably improve by learning a few things from the Fawlty's.
I booked my room the evening before my trip through an on-line agency ,it all looked to be a good deal until after I had paid when I was informed that for the advertised on-line rate to apply ,I had to have an evening meal and breakfast ,given I was meeting friends that evening and I never eat breakfast that obviously wasn't the best deal for me ,so I immediately phoned the hotel to cancel and was informed either I had to pay an extra £15 to stay ,or as it was within 24 hours I would have to pay for the room anyway as cancellation charges apply. Not Happy....maybe I'm old-fashioned but I always thought advertising one thing and then giving another was a tad on the fraudulent side!!
As not much choice in the matter arrived the next day ,explained my point of view to the receptionist who just shrugged ,and informed me 'I'm just a monkey here ,I can't help you'...ummm talk to the owner? Get the owner to talk to me ? She then went on to ask ,despite me having told her already to the negative ,did I want dinner and breakfast?!? Unbelievable.

The room was just OK ,clean but very 80's ,bed was however ,lumpy and uncomfortable so didn't sleep very well just to rub salt in my wounds.

To summarise ,nice surroundings but BEWARE if anything goes wrong it's tough...Customer definitely does NOT come first here.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank DevonDantay
Hants
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I have been staying at the Farthings now on business for the last two years. I would never stay anywhere else. The welcome is always warm, the rooms are just beautiful and the beds are the sort that you never want to get out of. I look forward to a wonderful night's sleep every time I stay. But the best thing for me is the ability to work in total peace and quiet. And how many hotels do you stay in where tea and coffee in the rooms is accompanied by fresh milk in a fridge just outside of your door? The food is lovely and the service excellent. Having read the other reviews I don't recognise this hotel. I have never had a luke warm shower, everyone has always been welcoming and friendly and after a night there I feel refreshed and de-stressed.

nicholasyorkshire
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Warm welcome, lovely dinner, beautifully appointed room, comfy bed, good breakfast. Can't wait to take my partner for a weekend away!

England
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Solo Business traveller, needed something near Taunton, after being at Futures Inn at Plymouth the previous night and that is really good, i was expecting something even better, afterall the quote of the hotel is 'elegant geogian hotel which is charming cosy and relaxed,
I would actually agree that it is an elegant property, the room was really excellent, flat screen tv, fire (that didnt work), coffee and tea making facilities, dvd player (remote didnt work), Wifi, what more could you ask for. I checked in was offered breakfast in the morning, full english i said, asked for the Wifi code for the room and i thought i would get on line and off we go. Wifi didnt work, in fact there was no signal, disappointment set in, i would have to use my dongle. I had just driven up from Newton Abbot, needed a shower, water was lukewarm. Got out the shower, the room was cold, played around with the radiator, it finally got warm in the morning, alas just in time, as the shower in the morning was lukewarm as well. Evening meal had four starters and four mains, all completely over priced, though the food was excellent just expensive. After dinner i asked if there was a price for Breakfast, oh yes couldnt believe it £14, i refused. I ordered a paper when i checked in, but they forgot to order it and with no breakfast i didnt get my morning daily. I complained to the owner, who surprisingly had a good excuse for all the problems, and these are just a few, they were not major problems, but lots of examples which made my stay disappointing. Would i stay here again, probably not, this is a great location, ideally situated between the M5 and A303 it is such a shame that there are so many unnecessary issues.

4 Thank kenzo1
Cowbridge
Reviewed 20 January 2010

On arrival at the hotel we did not experience this 'warmest welcome ever' that other Farthing website reviewees had talked about - there was no 'Good Evening, Welcome, Can I help you, Do you have a reservation'. We were not greeted. then or the next day at breakfast. We had to do the 'running'. We were marched to 'under the stairs' where a tick-box was completed by a very serious and sober person at a small desk. We were taken out to our garden room - very dark outside. In fact, we missed the hotel twice as the lamp above the hotel name was not lit! The torch attached to room key-ring could not be worked by staff member so we were 'led' up a dark, uneven path with steps. Couldn't see a thing. Made a joke - good job we live in the country and are used to the dark (not this dark). The next morning we discovered it did work if you pushed the bottom-how could we know if the staff didn't! We were put in the room, again with no personal warmth at all. Just matter-of-fact. Once we discovered an outside light and walked back across the path with our own torch retrieved from our car, it was still very dark and outside garden lights are definitely required. The light outside door does not give out enough light and gets 'blocked' by the occupier as they walk back toward the hotel entrance.. It just serves to light up the immediate area around the room door.

On a positive tnote the Magnolia room is beautifully furnished, spacious, nicely decorated, warm and welcoming. Extremely clean. Nice facilities. Bathroom very nice. Walk-in wardrobe excellent

When we checked-in they were were more concerned about whether we going to have dinner and breakfast. Not at those prices - thank you. Main courses were £24+. I did have breakfast for £14 for full English (well-presented but small). Not wanting Black Pudding I think a 2nd piece of bacon would not have gone amiss. The dining room was, as many British dining rooms are, filled with that embarrassing 'hush'. No appropriate background music. A lovely room with pleasant view over front of garden but the buffet table had no lighting over it. Yes, there was a double wall light fitting but of all the lights in the room - this one wasn't lit. We had to make our own toast and tea in the corner of this recess with limited lighting! Hello! Husband had Continental at £8 but there was no porridge on menu (it is winter time). The menu stated cheese but we had to chase it! Didn't see any pastries. Very average selection. Strawberries awful and blue-berries bit stale.

A lovely building with character but over-priced. Did not got a sense of who was working there, and who was staying there, unless we asked.. Did meet the Manager by accident, guess the check-shirt and jeans threw us.

Having found a 'late' rate for this hotel I pondered whether we experienced 'apartheid service'. Another table in the other dining room was waited on with tea and toast! Overall impression - someone needs to be seen to be holding the reins and welcoming guests. Lovely roaring log fire but reception areas are not as large as might be perceived from website. I feel this hotel has given itself 'airs and graces' but someone is missing the attention to detail required at these food prices, and normal room rates.

A big plus-they take dogs and don't charge for them to stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple