“Very convenient”

Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Arrived to friendly front of house staff and a great bed room. Dinner was excellent and the I left feeling relaxed and well rested. Easy access to the M5 makes this a great place to stay if you are near Taunton.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 June 2010

Arrving at the farthings, was a little like arriving back to your childhood home,you are greeted by wonderful staff (and Sasha!) who are friendly and make the hotel what it is, truly outstanding! First of all i must comment on behalf of husband as well, how glorious the food really is, you havent tasted anything until you've had Farthings eggs, straight from their garden, where there is not only chickens ducks and geese, but the owner tells me their newest addition to 'the family' is three little piglets! The room we stayed in was lovely, with everything we needed, and ample space to live in, it alsohad super views of the beautiful garden! i really would strongly suggest to friends and family, as it is a lovely little place, which is far enough from the busy-ness of taunton to be quiet and peaceful, but still easily accessible. Lastly i must again comment on the standard of service we recieved from all of the staff, and the presentation of food and the hotel in general was really quite something! We certainly plan to return for a lovely break as soon as we have a chance!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Lovely small country house hotel with glorious gardens and charming rooms, some very unusual with spiral staircase to bathroom or internal landing to bathroom - even one with it's own front door and another that is actually a small cottage!!. Pretty sunny sitting room for morning coffee and chilling with newspapers. Dogs are welcome and love the large garden. Cosy bar for evening drinks before scrummy dinner. Pretty countryside around with lots of lovely walks. Very close to the A303 so easy to find and even convenient if en route somewhere else - a longer is stay is really needed to fully enjoy this lovely hotel, we have stayed 3 times now and will definitely be going back again!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2010

What a find, Three Star Hotel, in my mind should not be rated, as they delivred me a far greater experience. The dining room had a real fireplace which made it so hard to not completley relax and the fillet steaks were made to perfection!!! john's staff knew just what we wanted but importantly they were so Attentive and Professional, the place was well kept, with The beautiful gardens and the charming rooms with the beds they where so nice, i didnt want to get up but i knew there was a tasty breakfast waiting with eggs from the garden!!! John said that we can come back any time we want, I can't wait to go back, you need to try this hotel

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2010

After a stressful week i decided to take my wife on a romantic long weekend on arrival we were greeted and shown to are room that had all the creature comforts needed from, a large television, welcome tray and an ever so comfortable bed. The restaurant and staff were simply fabulous, the food was simply first class local and fresh and cooked too perfection.

A brilliant way to relax for a couple of days, the grounds are a fantastic way to forget the world and its worries and sit with a lovely G&T.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shorty31
Reviewed 8 April 2010

There was no "warm welcome" when we arrived and endured a mild interrogation for 10 minutes while checking in. The 3 rooms we had booked ,whilst well appointed and with comfortable beds, lacked attention to detail : one bathroom had used cotton buds in a bowl and half used shampoo on the bath ; another had no coffee and faulty radiator ; the third had at least a dozen flies on the walls and ceiling. We ate out both evenings as dinner at Farthings far more than we were anticipating. Good nights sleep both evenings in spacious beds. Breakfast both mornings was a let down : you make your own toast on a slow and temperamental toaster. The coffee pot ran out frequently and was slow to be re-filled. The cooked breakfast was basic and meagre in the extreme ( but of good quality). £14 per person for this was vastly overpriced ( and £8 for non cooked). Other guests confirmed that most mornings were like this. WiFi is £5 per day and by the staffs' own admission is not always available in all rooms. We chose not to take it but were charged for it anyway ! The money was eventually refunded after 3 months of emails ! Overall this lovely property seems to suffer from a policy of greed : Expensive dinner and breakfast , chargeable WiFi ( which universally is free nowadays) , at least £5 for a glass of wine. If you are on company expenses this will not matter but the rest of us will find better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank forgotten1
Reviewed 9 February 2010

IMHO the measure of all good businesses is your treatment when things go wrong ,that being the case the service here would probably improve by learning a few things from the Fawlty's.
I booked my room the evening before my trip through an on-line agency ,it all looked to be a good deal until after I had paid when I was informed that for the advertised on-line rate to apply ,I had to have an evening meal and breakfast ,given I was meeting friends that evening and I never eat breakfast that obviously wasn't the best deal for me ,so I immediately phoned the hotel to cancel and was informed either I had to pay an extra £15 to stay ,or as it was within 24 hours I would have to pay for the room anyway as cancellation charges apply. Not Happy....maybe I'm old-fashioned but I always thought advertising one thing and then giving another was a tad on the fraudulent side!!
As not much choice in the matter arrived the next day ,explained my point of view to the receptionist who just shrugged ,and informed me 'I'm just a monkey here ,I can't help you'...ummm talk to the owner? Get the owner to talk to me ? She then went on to ask ,despite me having told her already to the negative ,did I want dinner and breakfast?!? Unbelievable.

The room was just OK ,clean but very 80's ,bed was however ,lumpy and uncomfortable so didn't sleep very well just to rub salt in my wounds.

To summarise ,nice surroundings but BEWARE if anything goes wrong it's tough...Customer definitely does NOT come first here.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business