Due to an unfortunate accident involving her mother while in transit from Cornwall to Yorkshire which resulted in her mother being hospitalised, my wife was stranded in Taunton. The hospital consultant said she should expect to be there for three days and I volunteered to book her into a hotel.
I looked at various options but opted for the Farthings Hotel as they appeared to be a small hotel which would look after her during her stressful time. I booked direct with the hotel and paid £203 upfront for the three nights. My wife had not expected to stop so only had the clothes she was wearing.
The staff seemed accommodating and helpful.
The next day the consultant decided to operate early and reassed her mother. His verdict was that she could resume her journey that day so long as she was admitted into the care of a hospital in Yorkshire.
My wife returned to the hotel to explain that she would no longer need the room for the second and third night. She asked if she could have a refund. They said that they could not refund the second night's charge as they would not be able to relet the room ( which is acceptable as it was 3.00pm in the day before she managed to get back to them). They then said that they would only refund the third night if they managed to sell the room.
I called them the day after and initally was told that they had sold the room on the third night but them that they had not and that their booking policy was that they would not therefore refund the money. I have to accept that they did not sell the room, what else could I do? The person I spoke to said that they were there to make money and it was my problem as their policy was clear.
Well clear or not their behaviour in this matter was despicable, they knew the circumstances under which the booking was made. it was explianed to them time and again and yet they decided to charge for three nights when only one was used.
They do not care for their customers, whatever fine words they use on their website, they are callous money grabbers.
I now wish I had booked my wife into the Premier Inn or Travelodge as I know exactly what to expect from such operations.
Farthings Hotel has showed their true colours in this matter. They do not care about their customers, they are happy to exploit their customers misfortunes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delightful Country House Hotel. The building dates from 1762 and carries many of it's original fetures. Delightful, individually decorated rooms, lovely restaurant offering the best of locally sourced & seasonal produce, log fires by winter and lovely gardens by summer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Book Direct Rooms, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Farthings Country Hotel
- Farthings Country Taunton
- Farthings Country House Hotel And Restaurant Taunton, Somerset