Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
shropshire, uk
“excellent”
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Having read a negative review of this hotel on Tripadvisor after I had booked it, we arrived in some trepidation only to find a lovely, clean homely hotel in a beautiful setting looking on to the village green. The room was everthing I wished for with lovely antique furniture and crisp white bed linen.
The garden was lovely and we spent some time sitting there after a long journey from north Wales.
We, unfortunately, only spent one night there as we were en route to Cornwall. We would definitely stay again and recommend to friends. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Due to an unfortunate accident involving her mother while in transit from Cornwall to Yorkshire which resulted in her mother being hospitalised, my wife was stranded in Taunton. The hospital consultant said she should expect to be there for three days and I volunteered to book her into a hotel.

I looked at various options but opted for the Farthings Hotel as they appeared to be a small hotel which would look after her during her stressful time. I booked direct with the hotel and paid £203 upfront for the three nights. My wife had not expected to stop so only had the clothes she was wearing.

The staff seemed accommodating and helpful.

The next day the consultant decided to operate early and reassed her mother. His verdict was that she could resume her journey that day so long as she was admitted into the care of a hospital in Yorkshire.

My wife returned to the hotel to explain that she would no longer need the room for the second and third night. She asked if she could have a refund. They said that they could not refund the second night's charge as they would not be able to relet the room ( which is acceptable as it was 3.00pm in the day before she managed to get back to them). They then said that they would only refund the third night if they managed to sell the room.

I called them the day after and initally was told that they had sold the room on the third night but them that they had not and that their booking policy was that they would not therefore refund the money. I have to accept that they did not sell the room, what else could I do? The person I spoke to said that they were there to make money and it was my problem as their policy was clear.
Well clear or not their behaviour in this matter was despicable, they knew the circumstances under which the booking was made. it was explianed to them time and again and yet they decided to charge for three nights when only one was used.
They do not care for their customers, whatever fine words they use on their website, they are callous money grabbers.
I now wish I had booked my wife into the Premier Inn or Travelodge as I know exactly what to expect from such operations.
Farthings Hotel has showed their true colours in this matter. They do not care about their customers, they are happy to exploit their customers misfortunes.

Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
13 Thank Walton2
Somerset
Reviewed 26 August 2010

My husband and I enjoyed another wonderful experience at the Farthings. Celebrating our anniversary with an evening meal and an overnight stay, we were greeted at the door and shown straight to our room. John and his team of fantastic staff were as friendly and helpful as always. The room was superb (Bay); the same one as our wedding night. The evening meal was absolutely delicious, as was breakfast t- both using local produce (some from the garden). If you are looking for something special for a perfect celebration of any kind, the Farthings is the place to do it in style.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
poole
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We checked in late afternoon on Monday 2nd August and were met by Gary and shown to a room on the first floor called Sandalwood although I had mentioned that I had booked a room called Rowan. We were extremely disappointed when we walked into the room - it looked very tired and the bedcover looked very shabby. When I pulled the cover back I noticed that the duvet had no cover on it and was stained - there was just a top sheet over a very heavy winter duvet which would have been very uncomfortable to sleep under as it was a very warm day. On looking at the bottom sheet which was torn I found some hairs and was so horrified went down to ask Gary if he would care to come and look at the bedding. I also pointed out that there were a lot of dog hairs on the main staircase and felt very unsure about staying the night in a hotel which lacked normal standards of cleanliness. Although the manager was in the hotel he did not come and discuss this with us and we decided to leave. I would strongly advise anyone against booking this hotel despite it being No. 1 on this site for B&B's in the area. The room rate of £175 (which I had negotiated £145) is totally absurd and in fact after driving around that evening we came across an absolute gem of a hotel called The Mount Somerset and were greeted warmly and offered a room at £120 which was absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank minkeyPoole
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We celebrated my Father's 70th Birthday with a family dinner and overnight stay at The Farthings In July. The hotel was just perfect, beautiful gardens with wonderful hanging baskets where we enjoyed afternoon tea and cake. The chef produced a lovely meal in the evening and the service couldn't have been better, great attention to detail. Our every need was catered for. The bedrooms, all uniquely individual, provided us a great nights sleep. We are looking forward to another opportunity to stay at the Farthings.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We held a retirement party at Farthings. The event was held in the grounds of the hotel.
The food was excellent the service fantastic and the hospitality first class. As good as any garden party at Buckingham Palace !!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 July 2010

When travelling to Cornwall on holiday from Yorkshire we needed a place to break our journey and I found this haven by chance on the Internet. After a superb stay, we are now looking to spend a week there next year ,it is just sooo good!
From the warm welcome to the spacious tastefully decorated "Garden Room" to the excellent dinner and extensive breakfast menu, it is difficult in knowing where to start!

As we travel with our Jack Russell dog we are used to being in the last room on the top floor, furthest from the entrance but not at the Farthings. The room was more like a suite and the standard of fittings second to none with still lots of space to put all "our" things.
A lovely touch is that instead of having ageless UHT milk on the hospitality tray, there is a Smeg findge with cool fresh milk, just like at home.

The garden seating was a haven for a refreshing drink after we had unpacked before dinner. There is well stocked bar and even a cosy bed for the dog in the lounge which reminded him of home.

The menu offered a good selection of freshly cooked produce with each course complimenting the last. there is also a good wine list at reasonable prices.

As we both work in the hotels we do tend to be over critical and this was no exception - it is a star, a very good 4 or 5 star without being ostentatious. We have been telling everyone it is THE place to stay

Well done to everyone, keep up the good work and we hope see you again soon.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple