“Very friendly and helpful service”

Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Wimborne, United Kingdom
“Very friendly and helpful service”
Reviewed 29 December 2010

We oranised our Mothers 100th birthday here and were very impressed with all the staff and the hotel itself. We were made to feel extremly welcome and nothing was too much trouble. Excellent value for money and the choice and quality of food was of a high standard. We would go again to this venue.

• Stayed December 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2010

WE have stayed here twice now and cannot recommend this splendid hotel more highly. Tucked away in a lovely quiet part of the beautiful Somerset countryside and yet only 10 minutes from Taunton and it's wide range of shops.
If you want peace and quiet, superb food and beautiful countryside you could not choose more wisely than this hotel. We visit Somerset quite a lot and this will be our chosen home from home..without a doubt!
The owners and staff really go that extra mile to make your stay perfect and nothing is too much trouble.
Get down there without delay!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mungo2608
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 November 2010

This is out 2nd stay at the Farthings
And having been impressed the 1st time we visited Farthings we decided to hold our pre wedding evening at the hotel. Taking over all 12 rooms . And they were absolutey great lovely rooms, nice breakfast. What really makes this a great place to stay are the staff John the proprietor was very accommodating, whilst his colleques Daniel, and Emma who look after us in the evening and for breakfast could not have done more.
So if you want a nice relaxing weekend away then this is definitely the place to go.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I booked on-line at £49.00 but was charged £65.00 because the 'Autumn Special' price of £49.00 meant that I had to have an evening meal to qualify for the price. I did not notice this condition when I booked and having subsequently checked cannot find it on the on-line booking form. The morning I left a fellow guest told me that he also suffered the same experience. I have read other reviews & it is apparent that others have had similar experiences. Since this is a recurring problem which has been brought to the attention of the owners and not been addressed, I conclude that this may be a deliberate policy to secure guests bookings by offering a competitive price only to tell the unsuspecting guest of the qualifying conditions when it is too late and they have no option but to pay the higher price.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
8 Thank SPC20
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Good location in a quiet village, although took some time to find. Hotel lovely & rooms good size & nicely decorated. Service was friendly & mostly good.Food was good & well presented.Organization could be improved & the hotel would be a great place to stay. On our first night, the white wine was tepid-someone had turned off the wine fridge.Breakfast on our last morning, there was no fruit juice or white bread & very little fruit left. Apparently a major shop was due that day by a young member of staff. Returning late one night, we found that our towels had been taken away by housekeeping & not replaced, necessitating a call to reception.The bar was unattended on one night & we eventually found the staff in the garden.Our daily newspaper did not appear on 2 mornings & the bill, which was handwritten was incorrect. Most of the staff were very young & did a fantastic job trying to run the hotel, but it needed someone in control.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank malaryn
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I had been looking forward to staying at Farthings. A colleague uses it often and family lived in the village for 20+ years. Excellence was what I expected. A long journey over and a return to a village I have not stayed at for a while.

Upon arrival I was told, that because I had booked on-line for a 1 night stay on the special summer room rate (£69) I would have to pay the room rate plus pay for dinner and breakfast, making a total of £98. I only required breakfast. Could I be spared that cost? I would have to pay for dinner regardless, no exception. The wording on the booking site was less than clear and so I got caught. It SHOULD have said, £98 for dinner, bed and breakfast. Total. But it didnt. It waffled. Unusually I got confused when in a hurry...

I asked for John, the owner. He was not there. I asked again the next morning and although she had told him of my complaint, he was not there and had made no attempt to contact me. I could only conclude that owner John shows scant regard for the feelings of his customers. I had to get on the road so could not wait for an audience with him. I felt for the young, overworked, breakfast serving, bill issuing receptionist who had told me when I arrived that I was not the first to be caught in this way.

Dear John, Good will and generosity can buy a repeat visit. Bad will, might cover your bill, but not a farthing more.

Otherwise...

Wi-fi costs £5 per night but it did not work in Cedar Room. Common sense on the part of the kind hearted waiter allowed her to dock that from the total bill.

The pink stairwell could use a lick of paint. The room was ok but by the time I got there I was not in the mood to enjoy it, or the grounds which would otherwise have invited me to take a look. Breakfast was good, if you dont mind waiting 20 mins for the kipper option.

I hate feeling I have been riped off and so I half wish I had gone to the Premier Inn down the road where I have stayed before and live to tell the tale. At least there you know you are in a diferent place when it cmes to meal times.

Times are tough Mr John. Can you afford to be complacent.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
12 Thank HJonathanC
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2010

We arrived slightly later than we hoped but this was not a problem. We were greeted at the door and given a hand with our luggage and then welcomed by the Family hotel Dog. The member of staff than escorted us to our room, stopping only to point out the fridge that was used to hold the fresh milk and additional complimentary bottles of water. The room we had booked was a "Master Double" and exceeded our expectations. It had character beams in the bedroom which blended well with the modern LCD TV and Flat Fire on the wall.
The bathroom had both a bath and shower and had views over the gardens which included the ducks and chickens walking about.
The staff are a credit to this warm and very friendly hotel, as although they were young in age, they excelled in service level and appeared very happy in their duties.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple