“Lovely stay - does exactly what it says in the brochure!”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I had read the reviews of this property and was a little worried about one or two things, but my stay was excellent and I urge people to make up their own minds! I Stayed for one night on business, perfect hotel for this purpose but would be happy to visit again with family. Room was compact as described on booking but would be unfair to call it small. Perfectly adequate for one or two people. On arrival staff were courteous and very helpful and check in was easy. Room had usual features such as desk, internet access and en suite bathroom which had a great shower and plenty of space. Additional extra's were really appreciated for example mini bar and fridge which contained complimentary fresh milk and mineral water! The milk was an act of genius and very welcome.
The restaurant was fully booked although space would have been made if requested, I chose to have my meal in my room and this was brought to me at no extra charge! Meal was exemplary and very good value for money.
Hotel was quiet at night and no problems. Breakfast menu was varied and had all of the things you would expect from a hotel of this nature. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the breakfast room very much and was served by an enthusiastic waitress for whom nothing was too much trouble.

The car park caused no issue for me although I can see why others may have been concerned. Overall, a lovely stay, great staff, great room, great food. Thank You

Room Tip: Read documents re compact etc as these are very accurate
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank barry c

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We found the Corner House Hotel on the internet and as we were in a hurry and about to leave for our brief trip to the West Country just clicked and booked. How relieved we were when we arrived,a few hours later, having followed the hotel's superb directions from the M5, to find that we'd done supremely well.
Parking was free and provided on site; the welcome was warm; the room very comfortable with free wi-fi and and excellent TV with plenty of channel choices. We found to our delight that there is a very good restaurant here so we didn't even need to leave again having arrived! The next morning the breakfast choices were excellent and so if you are into fine dining, later in the evening or earlier in the morning, this is the hotel for you.
There is also a very good selection of wines in the hotel wine shop and there is a hairdressing salon on site to ensure you arrive at your appointment looking well-groomed!
All the staff were friendly and polite and, yes, we would willingly stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: We were in a small, but very comfortable, double room to the rear of the hotel; all was very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We had Christmas Day lunch in the restaurant although we did not stay in the hotel. They had gone to so much trouble to put on a superb dining experience back up by a superb range of wines. TIP. If you join the wine club the bottles you order for the table are priced at the take out price. Nice saving if, like us you get through a lot of wine with a meal.
The service was very good and of course the staff had to put off their own Christmas Day celebrations to prepare the food and serve us. To top off the experience I won the raffle and our daughter is guarding a bottle worth in excess of £200 as we had reurned to Manchester before the winner was declared.
I would have no hestitation in returning when we are in the area. WHAT ABOUT OPENING UP NORTH??/

Room Tip: We did not stay over, only used the superb restaurant so cannot comment on rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tonykf
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed here for one night and booked through Late Rooms, the cost was £50 but wouldn't want to pay any more, especially for the standard room. The place could do with a little TLC but our room was clean, comfortable and adequate for the one night. The car park is a very tight squeeze (especially the exit!) so was grateful to be driving a Mini.
The Wine and Sausage restaurant looks nice although I didn't eat there (had already arranged to meet friends). Good selecton of wine available.
Receptionist was very friendly and helpful.
Overall, okay for 1 night but wouldn't want to stay any longer.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

2 Receptionist helpful and spoke good English
3 Odd furniture and wine shop quite a novel touch
4 Room upgrade when hotel has vacancies

Bad points,

1. The Rentokill Rat box, right outside reception door. Not a good first impression
2. The scuffed and cheap aluminium front door, which opens `outwards` !!!!, not very welcoming....
3. The dented and rusty cigarette disposal box, not emptied for `months`, not a happy sight.
4. Staff are allowed to use the car park, which causes a SEVERE lack of spaces for paying customers.
5. Car park discipline is not supervised by the hotel (on their CCTV), resulting in caotic congestion and tempers amongst paying guests.
6. Entry / exit to carpark - a nightmare with cars parked all over the place blocking.
7. No guest newspapers in reception (blamed it on paperboy not turning up), however, their is a papershop 30 seconds opposite, that hotel could have used !!!!
8. TELEPHONES to reception do not work (contrary to instructions in room), so could not book and early morning call withour getting dressed again and walking to reception !!!
9. The hotel dirty Laundry piled high for `all to see`, in the car park is very unproffessional.
10. the NO parking space outside our room door No 48, was occupied by a builders pick up truck. Reception could see it on their CCTV, but did nothing about it !!!

Room

1. Long black curly hairs in bathroom sink
2. Coffee rings on both bedside tables
3. Carpet not hoovered, bits of buscuits crumbs, toe-nails and paint flecks on floor
4. Thick dust on most serfaces.

Room Tip: Supervision, Management and Housekeeping need to be urgently addressed. Has the potential to be a go...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I Booked for 1 night on the 31st March through booking.com. I was given a room right above the function room with music playing till 12.30. Unfortunately for me I was doing a marathon the next day and the proprietor stated there were no other rooms.
I have contacted booking.com and they informed me I should have asked for a quiet room and told the hotel I was doing a marathon and that the hotel will more than likely have functions every week, therefore noisy.
I have never informed an hotel of what I am doing the following day and I have never asked for a noisy room. Be warned fellow travellers!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We were in Taunton for one night so wants somewhere close to the town centre, so we chose the corner house. Having booked online via late rooms at a good rate we were hoping all would go without issue....we were wrong!

At check in, the hotel didn't have a record of our booking...however they did contact late rooms and get it sorted quickly. The receptionist showed us to our room, and as we passed the adjacent room a barking dog could be heard. The receptionist advised us that the dog shouldn't bother us but if it did to let her know. After being in our room for all of 5 mins, we decided we couldn't cope with a barking dog all night and so my partner headed off to reception to ask if we could have a different room. He came back to get me with a new key and we headed off to another part of the hotel. On entering the new room, we found there was already a couple in there- yes we walked in on them! Back to reception again, and a third room! This one was basic but ok. Bits of cleaning missed (coffee stains on skirting) and some out of date items in the 'for sale' basket.

Whilst the staff were apologetic, not a mention of compensation of any type-not even a complimentary glass of wine. Shame as that would have made us think differently about the place. Mistakes happen, and they are easy to rectify if you try!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple