“Stop over in Taunton”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed 1 night on our way home having spent a week in Cornwall. Arrived early but room not ready so hotel looked after our luggage so that we could go and explore Taunton. At check-in we were upgraded to a room on the 1st floor at the front as the hotel. Good size, clean room with ensuite shower and facilities - excellent value for money. Staff very helpful and checking out the next morning was quick. Plenty of free parking at the hotel although the entrance and exit to the car park quite narrow. We didnt sample the food on offer but the menu for evening meals looked varied.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

I only stayed one Sunday night before a business meeting; arriving fairly late the staff couldn't have been more kind ensuring I ordered something to eat, whatever I wanted, before the kitchen staff went home.

Snack and wine excellent in the characterful bar/wine shop.

II must be honest, my compact double was premier inn standard, albeit a bit tattier, but with added extras such as fresh milk and water. Considering though that I didn't pay very much, I'm not going to pick holes in a couple of minor housekeeping issues. The breakfast was good quality, excellent choice and at £5, superb value. Good free wifi too. I will return.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank KJAJ1
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My husband booked this hotel as a surprise weekend away.. He booked the large room with terrace, which was lovely. Coffee making facilities, trouser press as stated. The room was spacious, clean and the bed was comfy. To me the most important part of the stay was how lovely the staff were, friendly, polite and they couldn't do enough for you. We decided on booking a meal package when we arrived, breakfast and a 3 course dinner for £25 each per day ( one of the offers that was on at the time), Bargain! The food was outstanding, even more so as they locally source nearly everything they cook, fantastic! A big well done to them. The dining rooms were really nice so pleasant especially in the morning, beautiful decor and just so pleasant and relaxing. The Hotel is a short distance to the local town shopping area, we went out to a couple of pubs in the town on the Saturday night but it was really pricey, it was much cheaper to drink in the Hotel bar, at least you can fall near enough straight into bed. I would definately recommend this Hotel, we will be staying there again at some point.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trish E
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Having stayed at the corner house on a few occassions now I have realised what a joy it is to stay at a real hotel, one that has friendly and attentive staff, has food that suits you, with a great selection - especially the sausages - a selection of wines to tempt you - and of course the knowledgable staff who can guide your choice of wine - Enjoy

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiter - but smaller - the choice is yours
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I had read the reviews of this property and was a little worried about one or two things, but my stay was excellent and I urge people to make up their own minds! I Stayed for one night on business, perfect hotel for this purpose but would be happy to visit again with family. Room was compact as described on booking but would be unfair to call it small. Perfectly adequate for one or two people. On arrival staff were courteous and very helpful and check in was easy. Room had usual features such as desk, internet access and en suite bathroom which had a great shower and plenty of space. Additional extra's were really appreciated for example mini bar and fridge which contained complimentary fresh milk and mineral water! The milk was an act of genius and very welcome.
The restaurant was fully booked although space would have been made if requested, I chose to have my meal in my room and this was brought to me at no extra charge! Meal was exemplary and very good value for money.
Hotel was quiet at night and no problems. Breakfast menu was varied and had all of the things you would expect from a hotel of this nature. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the breakfast room very much and was served by an enthusiastic waitress for whom nothing was too much trouble.

The car park caused no issue for me although I can see why others may have been concerned. Overall, a lovely stay, great staff, great room, great food. Thank You

Room Tip: Read documents re compact etc as these are very accurate
1  Thank barry c
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We found the Corner House Hotel on the internet and as we were in a hurry and about to leave for our brief trip to the West Country just clicked and booked. How relieved we were when we arrived,a few hours later, having followed the hotel's superb directions from the M5, to find that we'd done supremely well.
Parking was free and provided on site; the welcome was warm; the room very comfortable with free wi-fi and and excellent TV with plenty of channel choices. We found to our delight that there is a very good restaurant here so we didn't even need to leave again having arrived! The next morning the breakfast choices were excellent and so if you are into fine dining, later in the evening or earlier in the morning, this is the hotel for you.
There is also a very good selection of wines in the hotel wine shop and there is a hairdressing salon on site to ensure you arrive at your appointment looking well-groomed!
All the staff were friendly and polite and, yes, we would willingly stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: We were in a small, but very comfortable, double room to the rear of the hotel; all was very quiet.
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We had Christmas Day lunch in the restaurant although we did not stay in the hotel. They had gone to so much trouble to put on a superb dining experience back up by a superb range of wines. TIP. If you join the wine club the bottles you order for the table are priced at the take out price. Nice saving if, like us you get through a lot of wine with a meal.
The service was very good and of course the staff had to put off their own Christmas Day celebrations to prepare the food and serve us. To top off the experience I won the raffle and our daughter is guarding a bottle worth in excess of £200 as we had reurned to Manchester before the winner was declared.
I would have no hestitation in returning when we are in the area. WHAT ABOUT OPENING UP NORTH??/

Room Tip: We did not stay over, only used the superb restaurant so cannot comment on rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family