“Awful place”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Fareham, England, United Kingdom
“Awful place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

Thought we would take a short break in the County Town of Somerset and chose the Corner House Hotel due to its location and website description. Was met by a ludicrous regime were it was impossible to book in before the allotted 3:00pm even though some rooms must have been ready. Eventually battled our way through the crowd of people and was shown to the room. The room was cold, damp and dowdy with no functioning radiators just a broken electric heater. Asked to be moved to another room and was told there wasn’t one and we would have to pay a cancellation fee. After some heated discussion we were offered someone else’s room which we were promised would have functioning heating, it didn't.
My advice is give this hotel a very wide berth at any price and head for one of the slightly out of town chain hotels, at least you know what you will get.

This place is horrible,

Stuart Lilley

Room Tip: Dont go to this hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear Mr Lilley,

Thank you for your review and may I offer my personal apology as clearly your recent experience is not our usual guest experience.

I am currently travelling on business however I will be in touch with you via email / telephone when I return.

Our standard check in time is 3pm however if rooms are available then guests are able to check in early. I will reiterate this policy with our Reception team on my return.

We do offer full central heating that is available 24 hours a day and do not provide electric heaters as a matter of safety and guest comfort.

As promised I will contact you my return to discuss your experience in further detail.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Hangzhou, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

Stayed twice in one of their 'compact rooms' and while they are, indeed, compact, they were clean, comfortable and I had a good night's sleep. They were also about half the price of the "Holiday Inn Express".

The hotel is easy walking distance from Taunton town centre. Reception/bar/restaurant downstairs are all nicely appointed. I accepted, and wasn't disappointed, by adding breakfast for only another £5.

The bar had a decent supply of real ale. Food in the restaurant in the evenings was really quite good. Fresh milk in the rooms for tea was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Avoid room 25. It seems to be the smallest of the compact rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Penryn, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

We arrived at the Corner House Hotel at about 1430hrs. We were staying there for two nights whilst exporing Bridgewater and Bristol for a couple of days. Upon arrival our room was ready and keycards waiting for us. First impressions of hotel at reception warm, clean and friendly. We decided to have an hour or so relaxing in our room before going to the carnival. We were in room four which is an attic room. The room is a good size, comfy bed, small bathroom but clean and well presented, water lovely and warm but as previous comments slightly slow to run and drain, hanging space good, an ironing board and trouser press, tea + coffee and my most favourite touch - a fridge with complimentary milk and water!!!!! Other mini bar provisions in fridge but obviously they are extra - as is the small bottle of red wine on the tv console (I nearly drank it thinking it was a welcome thing!!!!). We did have a slight hiccup in that I went to take the extra pillows out of the plastic covers and unfortunatley they were covered in blood!! I went down to reception and told the chap he couldnt have been more helpful came up to the room and got them exchanged for us within 5 minutes. Very apologetic handled swiftly and courteously. Breakfast was ok I wasnt too keen on the scrambled egg so just stuck to toast the next morning with a fried egg - but beware the egg was very runny!!! Im not good with that so I left it. We had a meal at the hotel on our last evening and again it was very good. The location of the hotel was excellent for what we required. I know some people have said staying roadside was noisy - we were at the back and that was fine. All in all a good hotel and I would stay again.

Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I have just celebrated our wedding anniversary this Sunday 4th November and we had a meal here in this restaurant of the Corner House Hotel.

It was superb and will most definately be going back there for another meal.

If I were to score out of 10 I'd give it 9

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

Beautiful building. Small car park. Chipped paintwork. Friendly receptionist. All staff in training on saturday morning so breakfast took 35 minutes and was cold. No milk on the table for our tea. Waitress was snappy with another customer. Room however was warm a good size with a proper bath. Carton of milk in the fridge nice touch. Ok stay but not great.

• Stayed November 2012
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

This could be a nice hotel. If someone bothered to maintain it. The location is great, though the car park is too small and the exit is tight!

It's october. It's likely to be cold overnight. But the heating was not working. Ok somethings things fail. But that doesn't explain the window that doesn't have a working catch so falls open. Now I managed to jam it shut with the teaspoons in the room. But there was still a draft coming around it. I'm sure management will claim a listed building prevents a better solution. Yet I work in a listed building with similar windows, and we don't have this problem...

I've stayed here previously and been disappointed (the next rooms shower water coming up my shower drain is not what I expect), but thought I'd give them a fair shot. Let down again.

If I had paid £50 for the room I would have thought that about right. As it is it was an £85 B&B rate. You'd be better off staying at the Salisbury House Hotel, and definately better off at the Premier Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Tadworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I received a warm welcome. The receptionist offered to carry my bag upstairs, which was a great help for me.

There was a very unpleasant smell of drains in the bathroom; hardly any water came out of the shower and the water was extremely slow draining form the basin ( which quite possibly contributed to the smell.). On immediately pointing all this out at reception, the room was changed right away. No surprise was expressed in reaction or expression and I got the impression that they might have been aware of the problems. However, the second room (24) was perfectly fine and very clean. The only thing was, which, of course, I didn't find out until later, was that the mattress was really not very good quality. I felt it had had very heavy use. I think it would be great if hotels bought their beds from Ikea, as they are always very good quality, firm, supportive and comfortable( ... no, I'm not on commission from them!)- they're also an incredibly reasonable price, with a 10 year mattress guarantee. Anyway, enough of the sales pitch! The staff were helpful in suggesting the museum to visit and giving directions and staff taking orders and serving dinner were great and made me very welcome, as a solo traveller. There's no lift, which might be a problem for some people, but, all in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo