“smallest double room ever in the car park!”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Oh dear! Booked what was advertised as a 'large double' for just one night. Due to a change of plan, I asked the hotel 5 days in advance if they could change the double to a twin so that a female friend, rather than my husband, could share the room. On arrival I was shown to a room that was accessed from the car park (48). This consisted of a double bed that had been separated by just one inch and made up as two twin beds. There was no space to move the beds further apart as the fixed bedside tables and limited space between the bed and walls prevented this. Whether as a double or twin, this is one of the smallest rooms I've seen and was not in the least bit spacious. Receptionist looked apologetic and said this was what they called a large room and that there was nowhere else we could be moved. Worse was to come. The shower room was worrying due to the grouting around the shower tray (and extending up the walls) sporting a delicate shade of pink caused by mould. Not nice at all. No chance of risking a shower in there. Tried to raise the Roman blind covering the window in the entrance door - it promptly crashed to the floor. It might be that the hotel has some rooms - but number 48 is not one of them! To add insult to injury my invoice also shows I paid for the privilege of a large room. Never again.

Room Tip: Avoid number 48 unless you are tiny and like the car park
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank qualityspy1
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

We are writing to offer our sincere apologies as quiet clearly you did not have our usual guest experience. May we advise that our Large Rooms which can be twinned are approx 25 Sq Mt however we have decided upon reflection to reclassify this room as a Standard Double Room and not a Large Room. Room 48 has recently had a repair to the bathroom however there is no sign of mould or mildew. Our rooms are deep cleaned on a regular basis. The blind in the entrance has been since repaired. Room 48 is a nice quiet room which does overlook the car park however is frequently requested by guests. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the future to redeem ourselves and very much do appreciate constructive feedback.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Thought we would take a short break in the County Town of Somerset and chose the Corner House Hotel due to its location and website description. Was met by a ludicrous regime were it was impossible to book in before the allotted 3:00pm even though some rooms must have been ready. Eventually battled our way through the crowd of people and was shown to the room. The room was cold, damp and dowdy with no functioning radiators just a broken electric heater. Asked to be moved to another room and was told there wasn’t one and we would have to pay a cancellation fee. After some heated discussion we were offered someone else’s room which we were promised would have functioning heating, it didn't.
My advice is give this hotel a very wide berth at any price and head for one of the slightly out of town chain hotels, at least you know what you will get.

This place is horrible,

Stuart Lilley

Room Tip: Dont go to this hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear Mr Lilley,

Thank you for your review and may I offer my personal apology as clearly your recent experience is not our usual guest experience.

I am currently travelling on business however I will be in touch with you via email / telephone when I return.

Our standard check in time is 3pm however if rooms are available then guests are able to check in early. I will reiterate this policy with our Reception team on my return.

We do offer full central heating that is available 24 hours a day and do not provide electric heaters as a matter of safety and guest comfort.

As promised I will contact you my return to discuss your experience in further detail.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

Stayed twice in one of their 'compact rooms' and while they are, indeed, compact, they were clean, comfortable and I had a good night's sleep. They were also about half the price of the "Holiday Inn Express".

The hotel is easy walking distance from Taunton town centre. Reception/bar/restaurant downstairs are all nicely appointed. I accepted, and wasn't disappointed, by adding breakfast for only another £5.

The bar had a decent supply of real ale. Food in the restaurant in the evenings was really quite good. Fresh milk in the rooms for tea was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Avoid room 25. It seems to be the smallest of the compact rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We arrived at the Corner House Hotel at about 1430hrs. We were staying there for two nights whilst exporing Bridgewater and Bristol for a couple of days. Upon arrival our room was ready and keycards waiting for us. First impressions of hotel at reception warm, clean and friendly. We decided to have an hour or so relaxing in our room before going to the carnival. We were in room four which is an attic room. The room is a good size, comfy bed, small bathroom but clean and well presented, water lovely and warm but as previous comments slightly slow to run and drain, hanging space good, an ironing board and trouser press, tea + coffee and my most favourite touch - a fridge with complimentary milk and water!!!!! Other mini bar provisions in fridge but obviously they are extra - as is the small bottle of red wine on the tv console (I nearly drank it thinking it was a welcome thing!!!!). We did have a slight hiccup in that I went to take the extra pillows out of the plastic covers and unfortunatley they were covered in blood!! I went down to reception and told the chap he couldnt have been more helpful came up to the room and got them exchanged for us within 5 minutes. Very apologetic handled swiftly and courteously. Breakfast was ok I wasnt too keen on the scrambled egg so just stuck to toast the next morning with a fried egg - but beware the egg was very runny!!! Im not good with that so I left it. We had a meal at the hotel on our last evening and again it was very good. The location of the hotel was excellent for what we required. I know some people have said staying roadside was noisy - we were at the back and that was fine. All in all a good hotel and I would stay again.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I have just celebrated our wedding anniversary this Sunday 4th November and we had a meal here in this restaurant of the Corner House Hotel.

It was superb and will most definately be going back there for another meal.

If I were to score out of 10 I'd give it 9

Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

Beautiful building. Small car park. Chipped paintwork. Friendly receptionist. All staff in training on saturday morning so breakfast took 35 minutes and was cold. No milk on the table for our tea. Waitress was snappy with another customer. Room however was warm a good size with a proper bath. Carton of milk in the fridge nice touch. Ok stay but not great.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This could be a nice hotel. If someone bothered to maintain it. The location is great, though the car park is too small and the exit is tight!

It's october. It's likely to be cold overnight. But the heating was not working. Ok somethings things fail. But that doesn't explain the window that doesn't have a working catch so falls open. Now I managed to jam it shut with the teaspoons in the room. But there was still a draft coming around it. I'm sure management will claim a listed building prevents a better solution. Yet I work in a listed building with similar windows, and we don't have this problem...

I've stayed here previously and been disappointed (the next rooms shower water coming up my shower drain is not what I expect), but thought I'd give them a fair shot. Let down again.

If I had paid £50 for the room I would have thought that about right. As it is it was an £85 B&B rate. You'd be better off staying at the Salisbury House Hotel, and definately better off at the Premier Inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business