“Another good stay at the Corner House !”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and always enjoyed my stays. The accomodation is comfortable, the food good and the staff polite. It is excellent value for money, and having sampled some of the other hospitality on offer in Taunton, I would always stay here - it provides everything that the business traveller wants ( though the car park could do with re-surfacing !)
Some of the negative reviews are quite unfair - and it is rediculous to draw comparisons with Premier Inn/Travelodge.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We followed a recommendation and stayed at this hotel for one night over the Christmas period. The rooms were beyond basic. The fixtures and fittings were tacky and cheap (inclusive of a single fake flower in a plastic tube in front of the mirror). The bathroom looked like something you would find on a ward in a hospital- the sink was badly cracked and the shower was nothing but a mere trickle. The cooked breakfast was passable. Would not recommend nor stay there again. Particularly having had a better night and a better room in a local Premier Inn for a fraction of the price before now.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SafariW
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

It was a pleasure to welcome you over the Christmas period; however was disappointed that you found our furniture cheap and tacky. Our furniture was designed predominantly for the regular corporate traveller with ease of access and open plan storage a built in feature. All our flowers are fresh and not plastic which are changed weekly. We pride ourselves on providing complimentary extras over above the Premier Inn including a fresh carton of milk, a fresh bottle of still water and free wifi. All our bathrooms are to a good standard however if there is a crack in the basin then this is not acceptable and will be replaced immediately. We have recently launched our new concept room 4 before Christmas which will be rolled out throughout 2013. We do apologise that your recent experience was not to your expectations and kindly ask you to contact me directly to discuss your experience further and try to resolve the matter.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

We booked to stay at the Corner House Hotel on our anniversary as my partner had a meeting in Taunton during this day. We were travelling with our one year old and received a free cot in the room. However, the hotel is a series of houses, meaning that each room is on a thoroughfare and there isn't a lift, so immediately getting all her paraphernalia in and out was a faff. It was fine though, the room was clean and comfy and the reception staff were lovely. It was the kitchen/ bar staff who let it down royally, particularly a rude, dismissive man called Johnny. At around five o'clock that night, having been turned away from four "family-friendly" restaurants in town, for a variety of reasons, I remembered that we had been advised room service was available to guests, and, desperate to get a hot meal into my baby I headed to the hotel to ask for one hot starter for her. Again, the receptionist couldn't have been ore helpful, but told me she'd have to check with the kitchen. Enter Johnny. Before I had even finished asking for a starter he interrupted me to bark that he had 107 diners in tonight and there was no space and he was run off his feet (I.e. they'd booked a party in at capacity without taking into account the needs of their guests). He made to leave, but I continued to explain I wasn't after a table, just a starter to take to our room and, if possible, a high chair (although it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't have the chair). He sighed and rolled his eyes and said "do you even know what you want?" I replied that I hadn't even seen the menu, as he hadn't okayed it yet. He muttered that he'd have to check with the kitchen and after two seconds came back and without even looking me in the eye said "it's a no" and vanished again. The receptionist was mortified and, seeing that I was upset, nipped into the kitchen to see what she could do. She came back with a fruit salad and yoghurt that she'd had to sneak out after Johnny had attempted to block her from entering the kitchen and very kindly helped us to our room. She then came back with a menu for a Chinese takeaway on the basis that they'd do vegetables and soup that the baby could have a little of. In the end my little girl wouldn't eat the Chinese so had to make do with the remains of her lunch and snacks that I'd brought. It then became clear that we had been put in the room directly above the bar and next to the toilets, so getting her to sleep was impossible. My partner arrived back at nine thirty that night and the situation was so poor that we decided it was preferable to drive two and a half hours through the night rather than stay in the hotel. And in the end it was a good thing the baby didn't eat the Chinese, because I did and spent the next 48 hours throwing up.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Catriona W
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review further to your recent stay last week; however I can only apologise for the poor service that you received. Please may I assure you that your experience is not our usual standard and irrespective of how busy we are the team should always accommodate you. We do take these matters seriously and please be assured it is being dealt with accordingly to ensure there is no repeat experience for our guests. Please may I kindly ask you to contact me directly to discuss your stay and to be given the opportunity to resolve the matter. On this occasion we let ourselves down and I can only personally apologise to you. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves and look forward to speaking to you soon. Please give me a call on 01823 284683 or email manager@corner-house.co.uk Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. Nigel.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Just returned from a weekend over in UK. This is the second time stayed at
the Corner House again did not disappoint. Arrived in Taunton just after 12am
so went straight to corner house to park hire car as space can be limited. asked
at reception about check in early but alas way too soon. So just walked few minutes
in town centre did some shopping and had some drinks. Checked in at 2.30 no
problem funny thing we decided for me to get our luggage while my wife did
paper work. So got to reception with all luggage only to be told access to our
room was via car park, door to room was about 5 feet away from our car shame
guy on reception never said that when I went for luggage HaHaHa.
As we were attending a 60th birthday party at Somerset cricket club decided to have a
rest I decided to look up hotel on tripadvisor on the free WiFi. To my surprise I
saw a review complaining about the very room we were in so I looked for all
the faults the guest mentioned could not find any of them. Yes the room is small but its more compact shower was clean and tidy could not fault the room at all & we have
already decided next time we stay at this hotel this will be our requested room.
After the party six of us decided to have one for the road at hotel bar which turned
into a few. The guy behind the bar seemed happy to serve us all night so we stayed till
4.0 am. Went for breakfast at 9am which for £5.00 is the best value I know its cooked
to order so nice & hot not like some hotels which cook it & keep warm. All I can now
say is for £50.00 per night this hotel is great value & so close to town centre Etc.

Room Tip: Choose romm 48 its like your own little space
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2012

A real 'hidden gem' - pleasant enough on the outside but as it's along side a busy road not often looked at. As a town centre hotel the large car park is a real bonus making it an easy to use venue that I shall certainly be using time and time again.

I didn't stay, the visit was for a business meeting. Despite location the room was quite and very comfortable. I actually visited twice in the last week for business meetings, at the first we also had dinner at which the food and service were excellent and the range of wines astonishing. At the second we had breakfast which was truly superb (and I have had so many 'business breakfasts').

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Thank you for your very kind comments which we have passed around the team. We were really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visits and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you again for your review...

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I've stayed here a few times on business, for 2-4 days at a time. Initially I was impressed. City centre location, off street parking (albeit very tight spaces), good breakfast, reasonable rooms, lively bar and restaurant.

Staff are hugely variable, noteably the males who are surly, prepossessed and on the whole unpleasant.... The girls all make an effort, the guys always seem busy. Surely there's not that much to do front of house... other than playing solitare which I'm sure they excel at. Whoever owns this place needs to have a long look at the management before things get worse.

Wifi is variable/non existent, which for a business travellor is crappy and if you report it, they blame your computer.

I had an issue with being moved between rooms during a stay. Should be simple but management seem to spend more time micromanaging staff, than helping customers.

I'll stay elsewhere from now on. Maybe Salisbury House Hotel is a better bet??

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank That_Sony_Character
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review which I can only say is interesting to read. We do strive to offer our guests the best of hospitality however please accept our apologies that we do not meet your expectations. Please may I kindly ask you to contact me directly to discuss your recent experience at the hotel. We have recently had a number of positive reviews however do very much take serious any constructive comments that we receive. I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

the room was clean and well presented nice to have a fridge in the room but one night stay is about the limit here as no space in the bedroom no wardrobe but a hanging rail with 3 coat hangers the bathroom was a death trap as the bath had been raised so to get in to the shower was a climbing feat anyone slightly infirmed go smelly

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple