“Weekend away”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Weekend away”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed at The Corner House Fri & Sat night for a visit to watch the T20 cricket.
Very easy to find and a pleasant 10 minute walk from the town centre.
Booking in and out was simple without fuss.
Rooms were what you would expect size wise, ensuite with shower in bath. Nice to have a fridge in the room with minibar option if you fancied it.
A very good range of breakfast selection and just the right quantity arrived on the plate.
Plenty of pubs within easy walking distance in the town and also eating places - recommend the Italian Prezzo - food is cooked to order and generous portions.
Weston Super Mare is a half hour direct train journey away so the beach on your door step.
In all a very pleasant stay and we would certainly book again on our next visit - a nice change from the clinical, pristine white & shiny Travel Lodges / Holiday Inns

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us for the recent T20 Cricket Match and have passed your kind comments around the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This hotel was nice on the whole but in a heat wave they need to provide fans or air conditioning. Our room, which we were sharing with our young son was at the front so the sun streamed in and heated the room. We had the windows wide open which made it very noisy but there was no alternative.

I asked at reception for a fan but they were extremely unhelpful and very indifferent, bordering on rude.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we were pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. The weather has been exceptional in recent weeks however we do provide fans which are available at reception. We look forward to welcoming you back soon when I am sure the weather will be a little more comfortable.
Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

WE needed a nice hotel to stay over on Saturday evening to visit a dear friend. We chose this hotel because of its location and close to the Town Centre. The room was in the Annexe and was very comfortable and we had a patio door to the car park, very handy. The hotel was very nice, very friendly and courteous staff. A warning however, if you arrive in a large car access to the car park is very difficult and exit can be worse especially if the car park is full.
The hotel is now tired and needs a refurbishment, but if you can look past that you will have a nice stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Corner House Hotel, Taunton.

We have just launched our new Concept Room (Room 4) which has been received extremely well that is part of our ongoing refurbishment programme for the bedrooms.

When booking directly with our team do ask if Room 4 is available and you maybe able to received a complimentary upgrade!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Essex
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I have stayed at the Corner house many times Realy dont know why I go back (maybe it is the best out of a bad bunch in area). Room was very dusty pointed it out to reception might of talked to the wall. Dinner was passible tried in vain to order another glass of wine staff have a way of ignoring the customer. last month I complained about the steak was told by the manger / owner it was my fault ( had asked for well done)!!!. they seem to do either good or really bad here it is always hit or miss. 1 good point is mini fridge in room which is always well stocked with wine nibbles and chocolate. Will I return ? proberly do I want to? not really.
Least it gives me something to write about on Facebook. with a bit more care and attention this could be a really good hotel.

1 Thank Diane S
Thank you for taking the time to write a review however I can see that the experience was not completely to your expectation and as such please accept my personal apology. Since your stay with us I have spoken to our Housekeeping and Restaurant team to ensure that we rectify the issues that you raised. Since your stay we have recruited a new Restaurant Manager and we look forward to introducing you to Paul on your next stay with us.

If we can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed here last weekend and for the price you will not find better, good room nice and clean and the food was good, plenty of car parking
staff very help full, I don't know how they do it for the price

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for writing a review and we were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do try to offer value for money in terms of accommodation by booking direct corner-house.co.uk ; offering a full English breakfast from £5.95, reserving a dinner table between 6 - 7pm when you can enjoy our Early Bird Offer 2 courses £13.95 or 3 courses £15.95 and finally why not take home a bottle of our independently sourced wines from £5.95!! We truly believe that if we offer good value for money our guests will return as well as promote us to their family friends. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Great location and a lovely old building. The food is really good and the wine selection fantastic. One or two of the rooms are ready for redecoration and parking can be a problem if you arrive late or want to leave early.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We were pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We have just launched our new Concept Room (Room 4) which has been extremely well received that will pave the way for our ongoing refurbishment programme of the bedrooms. If you book direct with us then do ask if Room 4 is available and you maybe lucky in receiving a complimentary upgrade. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is a physically comfortable and good condition hotel (the owners invest) with friendly staff and good food. I would have happily given this hotel 5 had it not been for two service issues that I suspect point to an underlying carelessness in service.
The first was that I was essentially ignored in the restaurant whilst the staff served a large group. I gave up ordering a desert. (I had eventually got up to speak to someone, but they were not to be found, took my own desert menu, no one then came to me, and so I got up and walked to the adjoining bar to ask for me bill). When I asked the young member of staff she explained that she had two trainees, was doing her best, but was struggling. If you're training staff, please out enough experienced on duty so the customer does not suffer.
The second was when, in the morning, i went to put something in the bathroom flip bin only to be greeted by the previous guest's used sanitary towel facing up at me. This did not help my appetite. When I pointed this out at check out, the response was "Oh, sorry about that" followed by proceeding with my bill as if nothing was that wrong.

1 Thank 186338Philip
Thank you for taking the time to write a review however please accept my apologies as it clearly was not our usual standard. Since your stay with us I have spoken to the Assistant Manager on duty and the Housekeeping team to ensure that we do not have repeat occurrence. Please may I kindly ask you to contact me directly upon which I trust that we can resolve this matter. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We look forward to welcoming you back soon when I hope that we can redeem ourselves.