“Stunned!”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Dorking, England, United Kingdom
“Stunned!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

The most dismal hotel experience I have encountered. Receptionist ubrupt in her manner when escorting us to our room. Bar/waiting staff extremely poor, bar stools and tables left unclean, room very grubby, staff ignored us when waiting for a drink at the bar, asked for a wine list prior to dining, no-one asked if we would like to order any wine, partners starter was forgotten to be delivered. The food overall far outshone the attitude of the staff on duty. When I complained the guy was attentive but did not offer to find a Manager to deal with the issues raised. Could not recommend this venue at all.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Twincam1558
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review however I can only apologise as clearly you did not enjoy your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our customer service and so please may I assure you that your recent experience is not our usual standard. I have tried today to look into this matter further. Please could I kindly ask you to contact me directly to gain more details and I assure you that I will resolve this matter immediately. I look forward to speaking to you soon. Email manager@corner-house.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I booked dinner b and b for myself and my elderly mother for one night. The dinner was a complete fiasco price-wise. Having paid something like £20/head extra for the dinner we only had one course each (about £12.50) and were then charged extra for vegetables and my mother's dessert. When I queried this I was told that they were "extras". Even the under-waiter agreed with me, but the young guy in charge was adamant that it had to be paid. I queried it with reception in the morning and was told that as she had no authority to refund me, she would take it up with the manager when he arrived - still waiting and that was a month ago! Although the public rooms are fairly good, the bedroom I stayed in was rather tatty and also very noisy. The rooms are not expensive, but I can not really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton. It is clear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and as such please may I offer our sincerest apologies to you and your mother. We do offer special rates inclusive of dinner, bed and breakfast. This includes £5.00 for a full English breakfast and £15.00 for a three course evening meal. For guests that are on a dinner bed and breakfast rate there are certain dishes particularly main courses Rib Eye Steak £19.95 that comes with a £5 supplement and cheese as dessert comes with a £3 supplement. Whilst all our main courses come with a vegetable accompanient you are able to order side dishes as an extra including a side portion of vegetables. Please may I ask you to contact me directly to give me the opportunity to resolve this matter. Email manager@corner-house.co.uk

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Haslemere, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Shame that the pictures don't match the product. Good location in terms of being a 15 min walk into town. The bar and restaurant area was lovely, nice feel about them. We had big smiles on our faces when we arrived through the doors, but then we went up the stained stair carpet and it soon went down hill. Room 10 was very basic, tired and hot.
Linen sheet didn't actually fit the bed well enough for it to be tucked under the mattress and the duvet cover was open at the ends and ripped. The walls had clearly been touched up, but with mismatching paint, so you could see the paint roller marks all over the place.
And the bed was so soft it was like a bloody trampoline. In fact my husband bounced clear off the damned thing twice!
Joking aside, not impressed. Sorry.
Its a shame though because with a bit if TLC this place could be gorgeous! You could start with changing the the logo for the hotel... it currently looks like a 1980's estate agents logo!! :-(

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for writing a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton. We were pleased to hear that you liked the new concept of Wine & Sausage at the Corner House and you are quite right our location so close to town is perfect. It is clear that Room did not meet your expectations and as such please accept our apologies. We have just launched our new Concept Room which has been received very well. This is part of our ongoing refurbishment programme which will be rolled out across all rooms. If you are willing to give us a chance to redeem ourselves we would be more than happy to upgrade you to our new Concept Room next time you stay with us. With regards the company logo we are currently going through a period of rebranding and will put your comments forward for consideration. If you wish to discuss your experience further then please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Email manager@corner-house.co.uk
South Yorkshire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

We had high hopes of this hotel, and it has some good points but too many disappointing ones.

One of the panes of the inner secondary double glazing was loose and might easily have fallen on one of us - we reported this early in our stay but nothing was done about it.

Meal: pre-meal nibbles arrived with the first course, the wrong desert came, the espresso was cold.

Reception was unable to get a morning paper for us.

There was a lot of noise from other guests.

Twice members of staff knocked on our door at about 9am asking if they could make up the room - and then proceeded to sit not far from our door and engage in loud conversation.

All of these things let down what could be a pleasant hotel.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your very constructive comments. It is clear that you did not have our usual guest experience and as such please accept our apologies. Since your stay with us we have ordered a new section of the window which has now been replaced. We have recently appointed a new Restaurant Manager and through the ongoing training the team are buidling their skills and experience creating a very enjoyable dining experience. We do offer morning papers in both our Reception and the Restaurant however the team could have picked a paper up from around the corner so I will ensure that this is highlighted at our daily meeting. I have spoken with our Head Housekeeper who is very apologetic about the disturbance and reiterate the same message to the team. We are very proud of the Corner House Hotel and we do take these comments seriously in continuing to grow from strength to strength. Thank you for bringing these points to our attention. Please could I kindly ask you to contact me directly at the hotel to give me the opportunity to further resolve this matter. manager@corner-house.co.uk
Chard, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

My Boyfriend and I booked a double compact room for a one night stay.

When we arrived we could not find a space in the car park, and one car was even parked over two spaces. I informed reception, however I was simply told to park along the fence as long as I didn't block any gates. I didn't mind this, however it may have been as issue when there was no room along the fence for other guests. I also think that the guest parked over two spaces should of perhaps been asked to correctly park their car.

The hotel itself was very clean and welcoming. I did not eat in the wine and sausage, but it did look nice. The room was very nice considering it was only £30 and it had better facilities than the premier inn which is triple the price! a fridge in the room is a nice touch, and comes with a carton of milk and a bottle of water. There are also other treats available to then pay for on check out which is handy.

There was a bit of noise throughout the night, although that can't be helped with the hotel being so conveniently close to town. My only real complaint is that in the morning I was woken to the sound of cleaners banging on other guests doors shouting 'housekeeping hello' which I thought was very rude and inconsiderate for people that were trying to sleep and had signs saying so on their door.

Would definitely recommend as the hotel is great value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do offer free car parking at the rear of the hotel and you are quite right that guests should not park over two spaces as such the guest should have been asked to move their car. Please accept our apologies for this. We were pleased to hear that you managed to obtain a very special deal on the room rate as these are acceptional and are only released at certain times depending on occupancy levels. We do have offer special unique features such as the fresh carton of milk in the fridge and free WiFi which are always received very well. We were sorry to hear that you were unable to visit our Wine & Sausage Restaurant as we offer fantastic deals such as our Early Bird between 6pm and 7pm where you get two courses for 13.95 or three courses for 15.95. We also offer take away wines from 5.95 per bottle. Please may I assure you that I have I have discussed your experience in the morning with our Head Housekeeper as this is not our usual standard and again please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. We do offer ´do not disturb´ signs that are regularly put out by our guests and the team are very considerate of them especially early in the morning. Thank you again for your constructive comments and we look forward to welcoming you both back soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

We booked two compact rooms for a Sunday overnight stopover on our way to South Devon. The Corner House proved to be an excellent choice and location. The two compact rooms were just £30.00 each - remarkable value and simply excellent for our needs. Comfortable and better equipped than many larger hotels we have stayed in. All in all a perfect place to stay. See our separate review for the hotels restaurant - the 'Sausage and Wine' which was excellent!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you for writing a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and sampled the Wine & Sausage Restaurant which also exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves on giving value for money budget ensuite accommodation with free WiFi, a fresh carton on milk in the fridge not the UHT milk and our own car park at the rear of the hotel. Wine & Sausage offers value for money with our Early Bird menu two courses from £13.95 and a full English breakfast from £5.95 per person. We currently have an ongoing refurbishment programme and have just completed our new Concept Room (Room 4) which has been received extremely well. Thank you again for your kind comments which we have passed around the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Blakeney, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

The Corner House is nicely situated in Taunton, just out of the main centre, but within walking distance of many pubs and restaurants. The food in the Corner House was nicely served, but quite expensive. We had the disabled room, as that was the last room left when we booked. The room was wedged off the reception area, under the stairs, so you heard footsteps all night long up and down the stairs, and voices at the reception outside the room. The worst feature of this room was the walk in shower - very necessary if you are disabled, but the floor was not tilted towards the plughole, so the water just spread throughout the bathroom and into the bedroom, soaking the carpet. I would have been pretty unimpressed as a disabled person - this room was very much an afterthought.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we appreciate your constructive comments. Since your stay with us our maintenance team have made adjustments to the bathroom floor to ensure that we do not have any repeat occurrences. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that was caused. We are currently in the process of refurbishing our bedrooms and have just finished our new Concept Room (Room 4) which has been received very well indeed. It caused us concern to hear that our Restaurant prices are a little expensive as we do try whilst sourcing local produce to be competitive with the local market. We do offer our Early Bird dinner which is two courses for £13.95 or three courses for £15.95 which we believe to be very good value for money. Thank you again for bringing your constructive comments to our attention.