The Corner House Hotel
Travelocity
US$91
US$108
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Taunton East(Taunton)(Great Value!)
US$92
PremierInn.com
All reviewscompact roomsausagemini bartown centrefresh milk in the fridgepleasant hotelno liftpleasant staybusy roadfull englishmain roadevening mealan overnight staystayed for one nighthairdryercharactercornwall
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Our destination was actually Torquay, but we chose to stay at The Corner House because of the price, especially over the August bank holiday. Some reviews have not been so kind but we decided to take a chance and we're very pleased we did! From the outside, the hotel looked beautiful - clean, tidy and very welcoming, as were all the indoor communal areas. All staff were very friendly, tentative & helpful. We had booked a 'compact double' but we have a 10 month old baby, so I telephoned once we'd booked to let them know we'd be bringing our own travel cot. I was informed that they would do their best to put us in a room with more floor space. The only slight criticism I have is that our room was on the second floor, & approached only via one decent staircase and one very steep & narrow staircase. Had we known this, we possibly would have asked for a room on the first floor. However, it didn't actually cause much hassle and we hadn't taken a lot of luggage with us (just pointing out in case it can be useful to anyone else!) We had dinner in the hotel restaurant on our first night - the food and service were excellent. They offer a nice menu and we took advantage of their early bird dinner offer. Our room, although very basic, was extremely clean and we have no negative comments to make. The room we stayed in was definitely not 'compact' in our opinion - our daughter had lots of floor space to crawl & play in! There was a travel cot already set up and an en-suite with a bath and overhead shower - very useful when travelling with a baby! Breakfast is possibly a little overpriced but saying that, the full English was very tasty! The quality of the ingredients is excellent, but perhaps should be served on smaller plates (perfectly adequate amount but looked slightly 'lost' on the large plates!) Overall, we had a fab stay and would not hesitate to book again in the future! Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013

thank you for a lovely stay. the compact room for £30 was a absolute bargain. we enjoyed our stay and the staff where lovely.
The hotel is as explained a low cost chic hotel so I didn't delude my self before my arrival.

we ate in the sausage and wine which I might add do an early bird menu between 6 and 7. £15.95 per head. The breakfast was over priced and the waitress didn't really attend to my diet requirements. We would stay again if we where passing through Taunton. Thank you once again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MichelleHill33
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton. We were really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed your comments around the team. We are very much a budget boutique hotel right in the heart of Taunton offering great value rooms from £30 on a Sunday. We do offer a full English breakfast and Continental Buffet for £5.95 per person. In our Wine & Sausage Restaurant we do offer an Early Bird each evening between 6pm and 7pm where you can enjoy two courses for £13.95 or three courses for £15.95. We look forward to welcoming you both back soon and thank you again for your kind comments.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

The most dismal hotel experience I have encountered. Receptionist ubrupt in her manner when escorting us to our room. Bar/waiting staff extremely poor, bar stools and tables left unclean, room very grubby, staff ignored us when waiting for a drink at the bar, asked for a wine list prior to dining, no-one asked if we would like to order any wine, partners starter was forgotten to be delivered. The food overall far outshone the attitude of the staff on duty. When I complained the guy was attentive but did not offer to find a Manager to deal with the issues raised. Could not recommend this venue at all.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Twincam1558

Thank you for taking the time to write a review however I can only apologise as clearly you did not enjoy your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our customer service and so please may I assure you that your recent experience is not our usual standard. I have tried today to look into this matter further. Please could I kindly ask you to contact me directly to gain more details and I assure you that I will resolve this matter immediately. I look forward to speaking to you soon. Email manager@corner-house.co.uk

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I booked dinner b and b for myself and my elderly mother for one night. The dinner was a complete fiasco price-wise. Having paid something like £20/head extra for the dinner we only had one course each (about £12.50) and were then charged extra for vegetables and my mother's dessert. When I queried this I was told that they were "extras". Even the under-waiter agreed with me, but the young guy in charge was adamant that it had to be paid. I queried it with reception in the morning and was told that as she had no authority to refund me, she would take it up with the manager when he arrived - still waiting and that was a month ago! Although the public rooms are fairly good, the bedroom I stayed in was rather tatty and also very noisy. The rooms are not expensive, but I can not really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton. It is clear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and as such please may I offer our sincerest apologies to you and your mother. We do offer special rates inclusive of dinner, bed and breakfast. This includes £5.00 for a full English breakfast and £15.00 for a three course evening meal. For guests that are on a dinner bed and breakfast rate there are certain dishes particularly main courses Rib Eye Steak £19.95 that comes with a £5 supplement and cheese as dessert comes with a £3 supplement. Whilst all our main courses come with a vegetable accompanient you are able to order side dishes as an extra including a side portion of vegetables. Please may I ask you to contact me directly to give me the opportunity to resolve this matter. Email manager@corner-house.co.uk

Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Shame that the pictures don't match the product. Good location in terms of being a 15 min walk into town. The bar and restaurant area was lovely, nice feel about them. We had big smiles on our faces when we arrived through the doors, but then we went up the stained stair carpet and it soon went down hill. Room 10 was very basic, tired and hot.
Linen sheet didn't actually fit the bed well enough for it to be tucked under the mattress and the duvet cover was open at the ends and ripped. The walls had clearly been touched up, but with mismatching paint, so you could see the paint roller marks all over the place.
And the bed was so soft it was like a bloody trampoline. In fact my husband bounced clear off the damned thing twice!
Joking aside, not impressed. Sorry.
Its a shame though because with a bit if TLC this place could be gorgeous! You could start with changing the the logo for the hotel... it currently looks like a 1980's estate agents logo!! :-(

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for writing a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton. We were pleased to hear that you liked the new concept of Wine & Sausage at the Corner House and you are quite right our location so close to town is perfect. It is clear that Room did not meet your expectations and as such please accept our apologies. We have just launched our new Concept Room which has been received very well. This is part of our ongoing refurbishment programme which will be rolled out across all rooms. If you are willing to give us a chance to redeem ourselves we would be more than happy to upgrade you to our new Concept Room next time you stay with us. With regards the company logo we are currently going through a period of rebranding and will put your comments forward for consideration. If you wish to discuss your experience further then please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Email manager@corner-house.co.uk