“Unimpressed...”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I cannot sum up in 200 words how bad the experience of staying at The Corner House Hotel was. It was a shambles from the start. Booking online would not work, so we phoned and booked the room but it took two days and three phone calls to get a manual email sent as confirmation, continuously being told that the system was down. In the evening we had a table booked in the restaurant, we had to wait over 30 minutes to place our order and then another 20 minutes for our puddings to be brought out. We were the only people there so I am not sure why we were ignored. We stayed in the disabled room on the ground floor as my husbands weak chest cannot manage stairs. We were warned this could be noisy as it is by the reception upon booking. This was an understatement. The people walking up and down the stairs directly through and above our ceiling kept us up until 3am and then the staff were back at 6am for set up. We did not stay the second night because of this and were offered no refund. We were in a rush to get away as we had a long trip home and I left my make up set behind. It is three weeks later, with numerous phone calls and they will not send the make up back to me. The Post Office told them they could not send make up. Well, I called Royal Mail and it is fine to send it where nothing is in a pressurised container. The manager has yet to return any call on this and no doubt I will have to replace over £100 of items. This on top of the £150 we lost on leaving early is intolerable. The overall experience has been of stress, disappointment and considering we were staying there to attend a local funeral, the worst part of our time in Taunton.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephanie H
There are newer reviews for The Corner House Hotel

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I pre-booked a DBB night at The Corner House at the end of August. Accommodation and the tight crowded car park were very satisfactory, the basic room was clean, well stocked and quiet overlooking the parking area. Dinner in the restaurant was something else, untrained staff, all friendly and polite, were unable to cope with the volume of business and the kitchen, while producing fairly satisfactory food, was very stretched. Those on the next table to me were served their vegetables when they had finished their main course and were given a bottle of wine to compensate! On departure I asked to see a duty manager - there was no one on duty. I advised the receptionist, who indicated that he was in the restaurant the previous evening, that I suspect he was the headless chicken causing even more chaos. Some real management skill, and staff training, could really make this into a great little hotel - bring back Sir Maxwell Joseph!

Room Tip: rear of hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Staff were more than helpful, restaurant food was excellent and very varied - great veggie options, and the ambience in the bar/restaurant was particularly likeable. They clearly know their drinks - wine and beer lovers haven. Plenty of room in the bedroom, even though they are honest enough to describe them as 'standard'. was priced similarly to other hotels in Taunton, but thought this was much better value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Lovely hotel and friendly staff, spotlessly clean rooms. The food was amazing, we booked bed breakfast and dinner and expected to get a set menu but was pleasantly surprised when we could choose anything from the menu, don't know who the chef is but he/she is excellent.
Although the hotel is old, and I expect has to adhere to planning etc, it has been decorated and modified tastefully. I would have given 6 stars but our room at the front was rather noisy, more especially I think, because the hotel is situated at traffic lights and emergency vehicles seem to use their sirens to get through them quickly on the way to the nearby hospital.
We didn't know when we booked, but the Taunton Flower and produce show was taking place when we were there and we'll certainly book again to go next year.

Room Tip: Room at the back if you want a quiet night's sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

As has been said the food is very good and there were no errors with our dinner. It was a shame that the breakfast sausage was not as good as the night before.

The room was in a poor state of repair and it felt grubby, although it may not have been. We didn't feel we could take a shower or have a bath . . . but for the price I suppose it was OK . . . BUT! The windows were in a very shabby state and the curtains horrid.
Service was OK, but the male on reception was not good. We discovered in the morning that we had no toiletries, but it was too late by then. When I mentioned it at reception I was told I should have done something about it sooner!!!
After we left we thought we'd left our phone charger there and rang to ask. The female on reception said she would ring me back and 3 weeks later, I still haven't heard. That is very poor.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Using this whilst working in Taunton. The room is clean, relatively cheap (I paid £65 a night most of the time) and well positioned. It has a restaurant where they serve breakfast (pay for this when you check-n not during the booking, its cheaper) and a nice bar when you can chill after work.

The internet connection is a bit flaky but I managed to get 4G some of the time.

Overall its nice enough place and worth the money. I have and would stay again

Room Tip: There is a Tesco just round the corner if you don't fancy eating in the restaurant which can be...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel at the weekend and whilst it was ok, there were a few things which would have made it so much better. We went for a standard double which was very basic for the price. There was a crack in the window, and the basin in the bathroom had not been cleaned properly (and was not while we were there). There are no bedside tables or even a small shelf to put your bedtime drink/book on, despite there being room. We ate in the restaurant on Friday evening, with a table booked for 8.15pm. We weren't called through until 8.45 and didn't have anything to eat until gone 9. Service was poor, with our vegetables not being brought until we had finished our main courses! So they were taken away again - and put on the bill! On the Saturday morning we were not greeted or shown a table for breakfast and I had to grab someone passing to ask for some tea and toast. Extra toast was ordered but never showed up. For the extra we paid, the breakfast was really disappointing. On the Sunday, service was much better, and seemed to rely on someone who hadn't been there on Saturday holding everyone together. On the whole, I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you get one of the £30 deals I have been reading in other reviews - in which case it is probably good value for money!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views - ours was of a roof covered in fag butts and was overlooked.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple