“Clean & a good location on the edge of town”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We did not pay a lot for this room and it exceeded our expectations ,We were greeted by friendly staff,.The room was and clean rooms. We did had a compact double ,which we knew we were staying in before hand ,It was more than enough room for a short stay .The Bath room was quiet large and a big plus the towels were big white & soft fluffy

Room Tip: don,t have room 16 if your staying more than one night .There was a dull drone in the back ground mo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 October 2013

My first stay was in August for 5 nights with breakfast and the grand total was about £400 which I thought was extremely steep. When we got into our first room which was right at the top of the hotel we were shocked at how very small it was and the bathroom was merely a cupboard in the corner of the room so there wasn't very much privacy. The window had clearly been left wide open all day so it was a bit cold, there was a dirty wine glass and toilet paper scattered around the floor, and on the walls there was what appeared to be a smear of blood. At the price we paid I was shocked at the state it was in and we complained to reception straight away but because we had arrived very late and were tired we decided we'd stay in it for the night and deal with it the next morning when the manager arrived. We understood that it wasn't their fault and there was just a problem with the cleaning staff. The next day the manager came up to the room and was extremely apologetic and thankfully moved us to a lovely room on the first floor which was much larger and thankfully a lot cleaner, in fact it was absolutely perfect apart from the fact it was on a main corridor which people walk past all the time so it was quite noisy and we could hear people talking from time to time. The breakfast was absoutely lovely each morning and the location couldn't have been any better, my boyfriend was at work during the day so I spent most of my time walking around the shops which are only 5 minutes away and even found a little gem called Vivary Park where I ate lunch everyday. The staff were also very polite and friendly and after the first night I did thoroughly enjoy my stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I have very little to say except that it was an excellent stay. Friendly staff, neat and clean rooms. Excellent view from my room as well.

Only negative about this hotel is the restaurant, and this is only the service I'm talking about. The service was SLOW! My wife had finished her meal before the waiter finally came with her water. I had to ask THREE times before a waiter came to our table to refill our drinks, as they were all busy chatting among their fellow staff. The food itself, though overpriced, was excellent.

Would DEFINITELY stay here again!

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Quite a nice room, with comfy pillows but quilt very thin and was cold during the night. Dinner was disappointing - ordered chicken which came pasted all over with thick yellow sauce that I had to scrape off. Breakfast was eggs benedict, but to my horror, it had exactly the same thick yellow paste all over it that I had scraped off my chicken the night before - yuk! As I was on my own in the restaurant which was quite empty, I would have thought the staff could have considered that I didn't really want to sit sandwiched in between two other tables with men, and facing another table with a solo male - felt a bit overlooked which wasn't very nice. I suppose I could have asked to move but didn't. There were private tables available, but I think the main consideration for the staff was to have all the clients lined up in a row for ease of service. Service was also a little slow, considerning there were 3 waitors and only 4 tables in use. Staff were quite helpful though with directions etc. and overall not too bad, but wouldn't stay there again given a choice. Didn't feel it was very good value for money, particularly the food prices for the quality (no veg with the chicken - extra charge for that).There was quite a lot of noise in the bedroom too from people walking about on the next floor up.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Booked through late rooms and got free breakfast deal. Requested quiet room on 1st floor and both requests actioned. Room larger than expected, well equipped and very clean. Only drawbacks were packed/cramped car park and the firedoors loud banging when they closed. Booked dinner on arrival special 241 sausage offer. The service in bar and restaurant a bit slow but food worth waiting for. Breakfast - an amazing range of options available - more choices than expected and much better quality than most chain hotels. Would definitely stay again at cost of under £50 pn.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed as a family of 3 (daughter of 13) on the 28 / 29 and 30th Aug 2013, staying in the new concept room (room 4).
This room is very nice and plenty big enough for three guests. Newly refurbished, clean and with excellent facilities. If I was to be critical, the traffic can be heard (it looks out onto a main junction) but theres not much the hotel can do about that. However, they could advise their staff to be much quieter in the early hours in the room directly above which is obviously being used for storage.
We booked dinner bed and breakfast and the food was excellent. Breakfasts are plentiful and the evening menu had lots of choice. Wines were superb and the bar a pleasent and cosy area.
There are lots of reports about the car parking but on this stay we found it to be fine. I feel that most of the issues are cars badly parked by residents or guests (not the fault of the hotel). We witnessed one car (large 4x4) experience extreme difficulty in getting out of the car park due to a car parked outside of a designated bay.
It's great location means exploring Somerset is made easy. Minehead beach / Dunster castle is about 40 mins drive and are well worth a visit.
Staff were polite and overall we had a very pleasant stay at this very reasonably priced hotel.
Thank you Corner House.

Room Tip: Room 4 concept room is worth the extra.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2013

A colleague and I stayed here the night before a meeting we were hosting in the town and for certain, I will not be returning. Car parking - high risk of car being damaged! The car park is a tiny courtyard behind the building and on our arrival was beyond full with cars blocking other vehicles in. Under no circumstances did I feel comfortable leaving my car there, especially when it took about a 10-point turn to turn around. We ended up parking at a local car park, where it was free between 6pm - 8am. Checking in - despite our company booking online and providing payment details, we were informed our rooms were not paid for. Warning: they do not take payment upon booking and therefore we were asked to either pay our bill or get a colleague to send an email authorising payment on the original card and until it was paid we wouldn't be able to check in. Restaurant - whilst we waited for our payment issue to be resolved we decided to have dinner. The best thing by far of this experience was the food however despite the staff being friendly, they were understaffed and we ended up spending 2 hours having a 2 course meal - majority of the time waiting for orders to be taken/plates to be cleared away. Room - once we were checked in, it was a relief to see a bed; the room was pleasant enough although the plumbing was very noisy. And finally, the event that topped it off was that when we left the restaurant we asked the bill to be charged to one of our rooms, they acknowledged but despite waiting for further guidance, we just left and thought we'd deal with it in the morning. So there I am, exhausted after a long journey, drifting off to sleep and the phone rings at 09.55pm; it's the restaurant advising of non payment and can I settle, we left the restaurant early 2 hours ago! Worst hotel experience for a long time!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business