“Convenient stop over”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Convenient stop over”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is our second visit to this hotel which is a very convenient stop over for us on the way back from the west country. The hotel is generally very clean and tidy with a pleasant bar and restaurant area with a nice atmosphere. There is plenty of parking on site although entrance and exits are narrow, but after all it is an old building - take it slowly and its ok.
Both times we booked through booking.com. The first time we were given a reasonably good room in the annexe and expected something similar the next time having paid the same rate. On this second occasion we were given a room in the main building and it was VERY small. We were told we had booked a compact double which indeed on checking our booking, we had. However, in our view there is compact and compact, this room was really no more than a single with a small double bed squeezed into it. You could not walk around the bed not even at the foot of it, so beware when booking - it would be absolutely fine for a single person, so I believe there should be advice given when booking that these compact rooms are more suited to one person than to a couple. I have to say the hotel were good enough to move us to a larger room which was indeed very comfortable.
We also ate in the restaurant, where as stated there is a nice atmosphere, though service was a somewhat haphazard. We booked a table on our arrival and were told that we would not be able to have a table until 9.15 (very much later than we really wanted, but accepted it as they said they were very busy) though when at about 8.50 we went to let them know we were having a drink in the bar were a good number of free tables and we found we could go straight through. We ordered a bottle of wine which was brought to the table and left unopened - fortunately a screw top and we collected some glasses from another table as there were none on ours! The food was fine though my partners pie - though very tasty - was on the small side - as he described it, a 'pielet' rather than a pie. I had sausages which they specialise in and they were very good.
The following morning we had to wait a very long time to check out as the receptionist was busy with some other people who had just arrived. Not a problem really, but there was not an apology for keeping us waiting nor a question as to whether our stay had been good. A shame really as I think this could be a very good hotel but it is let down by the detail.

Room Tip: Beware if you are a couple that the compact double is very small and really only suited to a single...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Corner House Hotel Taunton. It was a pleasure to welcome you both however I apologise that the accommodation was not up to your expectations. We do promote our 'Compact Rooms' as being 12 Sq Metres however I am pleased that the team upgraded your room to one of our Large Rooms. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed Wine & Sausage as an experience however do take on board your constructive comments. We have recently appointed a new Restaurant Manager and the team are currently undergoing one to one training which can only improve the guest experience. Thank you again for your constructive comments which are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my hubby spent one night at the corner house in nov and thought it was fab we had booked into compact double room and after reading reviews we were expecting a broom cupboard but were pleasantly suprised at how roomy it actually was. Room was clean tidy and had plenty of facilities in it lovely to have fresh milk!! Staff helpful and welcoming and the breakfast was super would def stay again

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review on the Corner House Hotel Taunton. It was a real pleasure to welcome you both recently and we were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have passed your kind comments around the team as it is very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you both back again soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Very poor service; most of the staff are really young and look like they couldn't care less. Had booked in for A Sunday Roast online. Checked with the receptionist what times they served it and she pointed at the blackboard so we booked it for within those times. When we turned up at dinnertime for our booking we were told that the Sunday Roast was only at lunchtime. There was also a muckup with check out time. I paid for a late checkout online and told the receptionist we had a late check out when we checked in. Then at midday the phone rang and they asked why we hadn't checked out and when I explained they said that they didn't do late check outs on a Monday (despite the online system giving me an option to add a late check out). Other than this; the food was nice and the hotel itself and the restaurant is nice; but the rooms are a bit dated and the heating made a horrendously loud noise in the morning. Suffice to say I didn't get a good sleep. I got a deal for the room but if I had been paying full price I would not have been happy at all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for review on the Corner House Hotel Taunton. It is clear that you did not receive our usual guest experience and as such please accept our sincere apologies. We appreciate your constructive comments as they are greatly valued in improving the guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Granada, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Booked the Corner house for three night but then due to bad weather had to extend for a fourth, the receptionist couldn't of been more helpful in arranging the extra night for us. Clean double room with complimentary REAL milk in the mini fridge, which was delight for me!

My two niggles are:
One morning had to wait forty mins for breakfast, to the point that I ask if we had been forgotten about - But the quality and choice of the food and the great coffee really made up for them - One of the best hotel breakfast I have ever had (have stayed in Bellagio and the Hilton) .

2. - Car Park exit! Take real care exiting as very narrow - But not their fault.

I would have no hesitation in staying at The Corner House again and enjoyed the time there, reasonable price and felt welcomed by all the staff I came in contact with.
Would recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we were pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. We have recently employed a Restaurant Manager and through the ongoing training programme our food and beverage has significantly improved. We are also in the process of redesigning our car park to assist with the exit and suggest in the meantime that guests exit via our main entrance. Thank you again for your constructive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel regularly when working in the area and it is perfect for my needs being reasonably priced , clean , pleasant, walking distance into town centre with a good breakfast. Breakfast is consistently nice with options including a full veggie breakfast which is always good to see and there is tasty filter coffee. Breakfast service is generally quite quick which is ideal for people who have to be off to work.
I have not tried the evening meals.
Rooms have all the basics plus extra touches like fridge, hair dryer and an iron and are always pleasant, clean and pleasantly warm.
The rooms near the front have some traffic noise particularly towards morning as the traffic picks up so if you like quiet it is best to ask in advance for a quiet side or back room.
Some of the rooms do not have baths so it is best to ask if a bath is preferred.
There is a good wine shop and bar.
I have always found staff to be helpful and pleasant.
I think the main down side is trying to drive out onto the busy road in the mornings. There us a very narrow side lane at the back of the hotel and if you have a little narrow car this is a better exit to use and solves the problem
I like this hotel which is why I am a regular customer whenever I stay in Taunton.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your lovely review and it was a real pleasure to welcome you recently. We were really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with and have passed your kind comments around the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Wanted a cheap and chearful overnighter in Taunton for a posh do recently and found this place on TA. Some mixed reviews did not put us off and I am glad they didn't as our experience was overall very good. The CHH is convenient to find, has good parking, has pleasant staff on both sides of the reception/bar, adopts a laid back and friendly approach (which works) and has a good price to match their better than expected rooms. We didn't choose to eat there but the breakfasts looked and smelt great. Very nice atmosphere and throughout and a special "wine shop" feel (they sell loads of good wines there) adds to the occasion.OKay there were things that could have been better- e.g. the sink in our room was cracked! but did it spoil our stay ? No! If you want perfection stay somewhere else that is much more expensive or more pretentious. If it's a comfortable price at a comfortable Taunton hotel - look no further.

Room Tip: The compact double was more than large enough (room 8)
1 Thank PlymouthDavenDeb
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed last week for one evening, room was OK had good amenities with mini bar, I took note of other reviews and made sure I went for a larger room, which was still quite small.

I sat in the bar until 6.pm when the restaurant opened as I wanted to eat early and get on with some work, a table was booked for me by the barman. I was waiting to give my order as soon as I sat down but the waitress showed up after 5 minutes with a table of 3 and proceeded to take their order, not coming to me until 10 past. I ordered a starter and main and it took an hour and a half in total before I left the restaurant, main course didn't arrive until 7.10 pm!!! there were only 7 other people in the restaurant. Food was actually OK but spoiled by the excessive time I had to wait.

When I checked out the following morning the receptionist just gave me a figure to pay without showing me the bill, when I asked if I could see the bill she huffed a bit and produced the bill which I then paid I assumed she was still annoyed with me as there was no thank you or goodbyes as I left, in fact she would have remained silent I'm sure if I hadn't said THANK YOU in a sarcastic manner which then prompted her to say the same......

I will not be back!!

Room Tip: Don't upset the receptionist :-)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo