“Never again”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Where to star from: this is not a hotel, it is a group guest houses (i.e. homes) put together with a reception and a disgusting food service.
So it is in reality a group of rooms of different sizes and you will be lucky if they give you what you have paid for.
I booked a large double room and they gave something that you can call a compact: 3 sides of the double bed were in contact with 3 of the walls of the room, i.e. the room was not much bigger than a double room. The toilet had flaking paint, the carpets were disgustingly dirty and the wifi was very low.
When I went to reception, they told me that there had been a mistake and they have given me the wrong room, but that they were fully booked and could not change it.
The 'restaurant': I would not call such a name when the only thing they do is to heat a pre-cooked mini-leg of lamb and they charge you £16 without adding any sides to it unless you pay extra. So this is what I eat for dinner.
At breakfast I asked for an omelette and they served me something messy and disgustingly smelly piece of egg inflated and full of little dots of something burnt along it. I.e. they put the battered egg in used oil. They obviously cannot cook. This is what I did NOT eat for breakfast. When I complain saying that it was disgusting and I was not going to eat, they even did not offered me anything else. I would not have asked anything else. I just ate some yougurts as they do not make them there.
And last but not least. The deal that I got through booking.com was includding dinner and breakfast, but they tried to charge me this separately on top of the deal. It took over 20 minutes to resolve the situation and apparently they have confused my reservation with another one made through laterooms or lastminute. Probably a different booking from a person that did not get such a good deal, but paid more. Probably they realised it was really a busy time and they regretted the deals they agreed with.
In summary, you may not get what you have paid for and you may need to argue to get part of the agreed deal. What you will not get for sure is good food.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank oscar b

Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel is very cheap and for the price its not a bad hotel at all. The rooms are very basic and would depress even the most jovial of people if they were made to stay in them for more than a night but the downstairs communal area is very well decorated and the breakfast room was pleasant, the breakfast was OK, Id probably not rush back but would recommend if you were needing a place to stay for a night out on the town and just needed a bed to slump in after.

The road outside is really busy so that woke me up but that's what you get staying in a town centre, nothing to do with the hotel.

The staff were polite and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I really do not expect to check into a hotel in the middle if January at 7pm and be shown to a room that is ice cold! At the very least I expect at least one radiator to be on to take the chill off - despite all radiators on at full blast I still had to sleep in all my clothes and my coat and was still cold all night.

Dreadful first impression. The hotel staff were friendly enough but in the restaurant I had to take BOTH meals back to the bar as the over enthusiastic waiter had not listened properly and brought us to wrong food. To be fair it was replaced without question but I was not that impressed.

Advice would be to avoid in cold winter months! Its also close to the road and if you get one of the rooms away from the main house its quite a noisy night!

Room Tip: Not Rooms 40 - 46!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The room was so dirty .. hair everywhere; bed, sink and bath .. dust and mold ... the chair in the room was broken .. the WiFi was not working .. you can hear what is going on in all the rooms around you ..

I do not think I will ever go back to it again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sami S
Reviewed 5 January 2014

First impressions were a very nice hotel. Upon arrival we sat on some comfy settees and shown to our table at 1p.m. so far so good. We did a groupon meal deal and after waiting 40 mins and asking twice to be served we were then told out of a choice of pork or beef .... pork was no longer available hmmm so beef it was.

At 2.15 p.m we were still waiting for our food to arrive. The hour we spent waiting no one came to apologies for the time we had spent waiting ... an apology goes a long way.

The food consisted of 1 piece of beef 1 brocolli floret, 1 cauliflower floret a few carrots and 1 Yorkshire pudding! I know we were on a deal but I thought the idea of doing a deal is to get repeat business which ours will not be. I know the house wine came with the deal, but I believe vinegar would of tasted better.

As this meal was for all our family to get together I was planning on buying a £50 bottle of champagne but the service was so bad I could not be bothered.

So will I return... No. The hotel looked nice the ammenties were clean but the service was very very poor.

Note to Hotel, a sorry goes along way.

Room Tip: Don't do a groupon deal here they clearly cannot cope
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night in December 2013. The reception staff were not at all friendly. No one offered to carry my suitcase up 3 flights of stairs after a 4 hour journey. The double room was a reasonable size but was damp and smelled. There was lots of noise from people coming in and out till well into the early hours. The walls are paper thin and I was kept awake all night by the guy in the next room snoring. Terrible nights sleep. Breakfast service was poor and buffet was awful. Checking out was no better with young girls giggling with each other while guests waited. This hotel is overpriced and not value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Me and my mum and brother stayed in the hotel on Sunday 22nd of December as soon as we arrived after long journey reception staff were very welcoming . Am in a wheelchair the disabled room was huge guests get fresh milk in room with coffee also their is a snack bar in your room including little wines very reasonable price very clean rooms my mum and brother had compact room still very nice room even shampoo and soap in bathroom special needs room has wet floor shower definitel. Come again

• Stayed: December 2013