“Dinner, Bed & Breakfast £35pp - good deal”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Dinner, Bed & Breakfast £35pp - good deal”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have been to the Corner House Hotel/Wine & Sausage a number of times over the years. Seeing the offer above was on, we decided to have a treat and stay the night. Room was heated, clean and tidy. Bathroom was nice but sash window in there did make a noise with the wind outside. Bed linen was clean and starched, we had a good night's sleep, despite the rattly window! Complimentary tea & coffee included fresh 'real' milk in the fridge, as well as a large bottle of water - a welcome addition. The room was basic on the whole, however we were told the Hotel is beginning a re-furb and were offered an upgrade to the new concept room when we next stay. So looking forward to that! We stayed for dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant - both were very enjoyable and we have commented under the Wine & Sausage title.
There were little wrinkles during our stay but when we told the House Manager, he apologised and assured us they will be ironed out. On rating this hotel, three blobs is average, four is very good. On the whole; well done Corner House Hotel!

Room Tip: Hotel just outside town centre on busy road. If you need quiet, ask for room on opposite side of hot...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank landr_Somerset
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Landr_Somerset,

Thank you for your kind comments and it was a real pleasure to welcome you both back to the Corner House Hotel, Taunton.

We pride ourselves on the unique selling points such as free wifi, fresh carton of milk, free bottle of water and tea and coffee making facilities in each room.

We like to offer a variety of weekend breaks and are just about to launch our Summer Weekend Break.

We look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

Nigel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Reviewed 28 January 2014

2013 stay could not have asked for a nicer relaxed place to stay. Staff were very friendly and professional breakfast was great value for money. would definitely return soon :)

Only small issue with the wi fi however this was later sorted !!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank marc c
Dear Marc C,

It was a pleasure to recently welcome you to the Corner House Hotel, Taunton and we were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have passed your kind comments around the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you again for kind words and positive feedback.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My wife and i stayed here for one night last week. The hotel is extremely well furbished in terms of rooms and food. First, however, the staff; they were all extremely helpful, nothing too much trouble. The food was excellent, breakfast particularly. set us up for the day. The bar was stunning in its array of wines. I had a Chilean merlot which was exquisite. Please try it. The room was fine, with en-suite as you would expect. If you are travelling to Cornwall, its a great stop-over. You might find Taunton a good place to visit as well.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daveconnect
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Daveconnect,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed your kind comments around the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Where to star from: this is not a hotel, it is a group guest houses (i.e. homes) put together with a reception and a disgusting food service.
So it is in reality a group of rooms of different sizes and you will be lucky if they give you what you have paid for.
I booked a large double room and they gave something that you can call a compact: 3 sides of the double bed were in contact with 3 of the walls of the room, i.e. the room was not much bigger than a double room. The toilet had flaking paint, the carpets were disgustingly dirty and the wifi was very low.
When I went to reception, they told me that there had been a mistake and they have given me the wrong room, but that they were fully booked and could not change it.
The 'restaurant': I would not call such a name when the only thing they do is to heat a pre-cooked mini-leg of lamb and they charge you £16 without adding any sides to it unless you pay extra. So this is what I eat for dinner.
At breakfast I asked for an omelette and they served me something messy and disgustingly smelly piece of egg inflated and full of little dots of something burnt along it. I.e. they put the battered egg in used oil. They obviously cannot cook. This is what I did NOT eat for breakfast. When I complain saying that it was disgusting and I was not going to eat, they even did not offered me anything else. I would not have asked anything else. I just ate some yougurts as they do not make them there.
And last but not least. The deal that I got through booking.com was includding dinner and breakfast, but they tried to charge me this separately on top of the deal. It took over 20 minutes to resolve the situation and apparently they have confused my reservation with another one made through laterooms or lastminute. Probably a different booking from a person that did not get such a good deal, but paid more. Probably they realised it was really a busy time and they regretted the deals they agreed with.
In summary, you may not get what you have paid for and you may need to argue to get part of the agreed deal. What you will not get for sure is good food.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank oscar b

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Yeovil
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel is very cheap and for the price its not a bad hotel at all. The rooms are very basic and would depress even the most jovial of people if they were made to stay in them for more than a night but the downstairs communal area is very well decorated and the breakfast room was pleasant, the breakfast was OK, Id probably not rush back but would recommend if you were needing a place to stay for a night out on the town and just needed a bed to slump in after.

The road outside is really busy so that woke me up but that's what you get staying in a town centre, nothing to do with the hotel.

The staff were polite and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I really do not expect to check into a hotel in the middle if January at 7pm and be shown to a room that is ice cold! At the very least I expect at least one radiator to be on to take the chill off - despite all radiators on at full blast I still had to sleep in all my clothes and my coat and was still cold all night.

Dreadful first impression. The hotel staff were friendly enough but in the restaurant I had to take BOTH meals back to the bar as the over enthusiastic waiter had not listened properly and brought us to wrong food. To be fair it was replaced without question but I was not that impressed.

Advice would be to avoid in cold winter months! Its also close to the road and if you get one of the rooms away from the main house its quite a noisy night!

Room Tip: Not Rooms 40 - 46!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The room was so dirty .. hair everywhere; bed, sink and bath .. dust and mold ... the chair in the room was broken .. the WiFi was not working .. you can hear what is going on in all the rooms around you ..

I do not think I will ever go back to it again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business