The Corner House Hotel
TripAdvisor
Great 4.5/5
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscompact roomsausagemini bartown centrefresh milk in the fridgepleasant hotelno liftpleasant staybusy roadfull englishmain roadevening mealan overnight staystayed for one nighthairdryercharactercornwall
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Slightly confused about all the negative press this hotel gets, it is exceptionally good value for money. When I booked I was asked if I wanted a small double or big double so I new what is as getting. The shower was hot. There was parking. The bar was well run and a good choice, breakfast is what would be expected, cooked breakfast (very weird sausage hence only4 stars, couldn't eat it) and normal continental selection. More than happy with my stay

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Letsallhaveadisco
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Letsallhaveadisco,

We were delighted to welcome you both recently to the Corner House Hotel, Taunton and thank you very much for your kind comments which we have passed around the team.

We do pride ourselves of offering budget affordable accommodation in the centre of town with free car parking.

Our sausages are 'Marmalade Sausages' that come from Riverside Butchers in St James St Taunton.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have been to the Corner House Hotel/Wine & Sausage a number of times over the years. Seeing the offer above was on, we decided to have a treat and stay the night. Room was heated, clean and tidy. Bathroom was nice but sash window in there did make a noise with the wind outside. Bed linen was clean and starched, we had a good night's sleep, despite the rattly window! Complimentary tea & coffee included fresh 'real' milk in the fridge, as well as a large bottle of water - a welcome addition. The room was basic on the whole, however we were told the Hotel is beginning a re-furb and were offered an upgrade to the new concept room when we next stay. So looking forward to that! We stayed for dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant - both were very enjoyable and we have commented under the Wine & Sausage title.
There were little wrinkles during our stay but when we told the House Manager, he apologised and assured us they will be ironed out. On rating this hotel, three blobs is average, four is very good. On the whole; well done Corner House Hotel!

Room Tip: Hotel just outside town centre on busy road. If you need quiet, ask for room on opposite side of hotel or bring ear plugs!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank landr_Somerset

Dear Landr_Somerset,

Thank you for your kind comments and it was a real pleasure to welcome you both back to the Corner House Hotel, Taunton.

We pride ourselves on the unique selling points such as free wifi, fresh carton of milk, free bottle of water and tea and coffee making facilities in each room.

We like to offer a variety of weekend breaks and are just about to launch our Summer Weekend Break.

We look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

2013 stay could not have asked for a nicer relaxed place to stay. Staff were very friendly and professional breakfast was great value for money. would definitely return soon :)

Only small issue with the wi fi however this was later sorted !!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank marc c

Dear Marc C,

It was a pleasure to recently welcome you to the Corner House Hotel, Taunton and we were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have passed your kind comments around the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you again for kind words and positive feedback.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My wife and i stayed here for one night last week. The hotel is extremely well furbished in terms of rooms and food. First, however, the staff; they were all extremely helpful, nothing too much trouble. The food was excellent, breakfast particularly. set us up for the day. The bar was stunning in its array of wines. I had a Chilean merlot which was exquisite. Please try it. The room was fine, with en-suite as you would expect. If you are travelling to Cornwall, its a great stop-over. You might find Taunton a good place to visit as well.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daveconnect
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Daveconnect,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed your kind comments around the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Where to star from: this is not a hotel, it is a group guest houses (i.e. homes) put together with a reception and a disgusting food service.
So it is in reality a group of rooms of different sizes and you will be lucky if they give you what you have paid for.
I booked a large double room and they gave something that you can call a compact: 3 sides of the double bed were in contact with 3 of the walls of the room, i.e. the room was not much bigger than a double room. The toilet had flaking paint, the carpets were disgustingly dirty and the wifi was very low.
When I went to reception, they told me that there had been a mistake and they have given me the wrong room, but that they were fully booked and could not change it.
The 'restaurant': I would not call such a name when the only thing they do is to heat a pre-cooked mini-leg of lamb and they charge you £16 without adding any sides to it unless you pay extra. So this is what I eat for dinner.
At breakfast I asked for an omelette and they served me something messy and disgustingly smelly piece of egg inflated and full of little dots of something burnt along it. I.e. they put the battered egg in used oil. They obviously cannot cook. This is what I did NOT eat for breakfast. When I complain saying that it was disgusting and I was not going to eat, they even did not offered me anything else. I would not have asked anything else. I just ate some yougurts as they do not make them there.
And last but not least. The deal that I got through booking.com was includding dinner and breakfast, but they tried to charge me this separately on top of the deal. It took over 20 minutes to resolve the situation and apparently they have confused my reservation with another one made through laterooms or lastminute. Probably a different booking from a person that did not get such a good deal, but paid more. Probably they realised it was really a busy time and they regretted the deals they agreed with.
In summary, you may not get what you have paid for and you may need to argue to get part of the agreed deal. What you will not get for sure is good food.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business