“Good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Workington, United Kingdom
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here for one night on a visit to see family. The hotel was very reasonably priced, the bedroom large and the included breakfast very good. We arrived at lunchtime, but check in was at 3pm I believe, told we could book in early but would be charged £10 - we declined and left our luggage in the disabled toilet. Maybe the check in time could be reassessed who wants to arrive after 3pm especially if only staying for one or two nights. We had a drink in the bar which was rather expensive, however the meal in the restaurant at night was very good indeed.
If I was in the area I would stay here again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear HazelH72,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us especially the dining experience.

We have passed your kind comments around the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Nigel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the corner house hotel over bank holiday there was a great deal of confusion over the price we were offered , it took a good hour to sort out before we were charged what we were offered Our room was a for disabled guest as all that was available , very basic and being ground level looked out onto the main rd therefore without net curtains or blinds we had to keep the curtains closed at all times . Also the shower classed as a wet room . Was certainly that!! after showering the floor was completely flooded and we had to wade through the water to get to the toilet and handbasin , not a hotel that I would recommend or use again

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Marie B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for bringing this to our attention.

It is clear that you did not have our usual guest experience and as such please may I offer you my personal apology.

Please may I kindly ask you to contact me directly by email manager@corner-house.co.uk as I would like to discuss your stay with us in more detail.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

At 11pm they called us in order to ask when are we checking in and we told them that we would arrive in about an hour. When we arrived at 12 the receptionist was ready to leave. My room was smelling pee and the toilet was dirty. There was no mattress protector at the bed and the mattress was too stiff. Breakfast was poor and the service awful, as they had some school kids to make coffees. At the check out we were waiting about 20 min as there was only one employee and 5 rooms were checking out at the moment. Not value for money at all!! Very disappointed.

Dear Aikaterini D,

Nigel.

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have just enjoyed four nights half board at this very convenient and friendly hotel. The name “Wine and Sausage” belies the excellent quality of the restaurant. The menu provided a good variety over the four days with high quality food and cheerful staff. Special requests were dealt with effectively by staff who clearly enjoyed what they were doing.

Our “standard” room was rather compact, but was clean and provided everything needed. It was nice to have fresh milk in the fridge. There was some slightly irritating traffic noise (room 43 in the annexe).

The staff, with the exception of the gentleman described in the “Never again” review, were charming and cheerful. They were determined that we would enjoy our stay.

The “almost” comes from the apparent lack of management and the clearly inaccurate administrative systems. The hotel’s emails, website and computer at reception did not agree on the room price. Whilst reception agreed there was confusion, there was no-one with authority / ability to resolve it. The restaurant charges included items we had not ordered and items that should not have been charged – it really is necessary to check every detail on the bill. We are grateful to the receptionist. She sorted it out amicably and enabled us to depart with sympathy rather than anger.

Come on management sort out your systems. You are letting your staff down. You have the makings of an excellent hotel and you have loyal staff.

Room Tip: Annexe requires a very short work along the garden. Upstairs at the front has traffic noise despite...
Dear Angter,

I am concerned to hear of your recent experience over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Please may I kindly ask you to contact me by email manager@corner-house.co.uk to discuss this further.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The team were helpful and flexible when I organised an evening meeting for a group of customers recently and ensured that they kept an eye out in case we needed anything. Great venue, fabulous staff and would definitely use again. Thanks team.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Dear KirstyandTom,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review furthert to your recent meeting with us.

We were pleased to hear of your kind comments which we have passed around the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Shefford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

They put my single mother in the large double and the couple in the standard double (got it back to front). The milk was in little cartons, kept in the fridge which in mums room didn't work so in the morning the milk was off and she couldn't have a cuppa. We complained, the reception said they would ask maintenance to sort the fridge, and if not would change the room for another large double, this didn't happen, they forgot and let out all of the rooms. The evening, blunt, rude, receptionist was less than helpful, started off by telling my 83 yr old mum, to leave her building and go out in the street to walk round to reception where she could pick up more milk. When I refused he had a bottle taken to the room. I then went out and bought her a carton of long life milk for the morning. His manner and attitude was disgraceful. It could be put down to his nationality and interpretation of the language which obviously missed out any polite expressions or manners, but that is no excuse whatsoever. Never again.

Room Tip: Don't have a room in the outside block, numbers 40 to 47. and 41 the fridge doesn't work.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Angela S,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Overall the hotel was very good, just one small detail that marred the experience, was the frosted glass door on the bathroom, which gave very little privacy. Not good, needs replacing with a solid for.

Dear Dale G,

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and have taken on board your constructive comments.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.