“Good value for money”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Nice little room which our dog could stay in. Fridge and tea and coffee making facilities. Tv with free view and rail for my clothes. Desk and chair. Basic room but that's what I paid for so was happy with what I got. Breakfast was offered cheaper when we arrived than what it would have cost if I'd booked online. Breakfast was absolutely fantastic! Crumpets, juice, ham, cheese, cereals for starters and then an amazing selection for main - I had eggs Benedict which was cooked perfectly. Staff very nice. Good stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear KLK84,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have passed your kind comments around the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed here on a one night business trip with a colleague.On arrival was told only one room had been booked and the hotel was full. I asked the receptionist to telephone my booking team which I presumed he had done and I overheard him saying that the hotel had deleted the booking. No apology from male Receptionist (name badges are not worn). I did ask to see the Manager and was advised that the man I was speaking to was the reception manager When I asked what do I do after a train journey of 5 hours he just gave me a blank stare back and said they had no rooms available. After approx 10 mins he found a room for me number 18.There is a generator of some sort close by plus bins which are being used all through the night, The room overlooks the car park where a light is on all through the night. Curtains are not black out curtains. Walls are wafer thin. Room very compact. Stained mattress. Dinner and breakfast were both nice we were not offered the early bird price or received the 20% discount. Service at breakfast was poor. Chef sat by the bins in hes whites smoking!!!! Shower didn't work properly and hose was broken. I stubbed my toe on the threshold strip as it was not fixed to the floor properly. Selection of crisps sweets drink in room at fair prices. Maids do not adhere to health & safety regarding leaving bedding strewn around the floor which we had to walk around to go down to reception. I will advise my company never to use this hotel again as I do not think I will be able to give them a full days work after this terrible night. I do have photos but will submit then when I have emailed the manager direct
Update on my return to work I telephoned my booking team and they advised me the hotel never contacted them!!!

Room Tip: Don't think there can be a good room generator or main road you pick. Rooms in the main building...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Monica60

Dear Monica60,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for bringing this matter to our attention.

I am concerned to hear of your experience and would like the opportunity to discuss your stay further.

Please could I ask you contact me directly on manager@corner-house.co.uk.

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have stayed here on two occasions and my overall opinion is positive. Its a nice little hotel with clean comfortable rooms in a good location. The staff are friendly, the rooms are well appointed and nicely decorated. Sadly on both of my stays here I was disturbed before 7 am by the noise from the domestic staff. I really liked the hotel, but would be reluctant to stay here again because of this. Noise from other guests I can understand, staff banging doors and yelling at each other is less than I would expect from a hotel that prides itself on its standards.

Room Tip: Take some earplugs
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear MLASouthYorkshire,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed your kind comments around the team. We have also taken on board your constructive comments.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel on the 12th July as we were visiting relations who lived close by. We did not actually spend too much time in the hotel and the only food we ate was breakfast which was good with as much to eat as you wished. We did not use the bar as drinks were quite expensive, normal practice in hotels these days, I think.
Our room was large - I actually booked a large room - and clean and comfortable, as was the bathroom. The only problem was it was on the third floor and with no lift access difficult for my wife to get to as she has a bad hip and knee. Sadly there was not lift in the hotel so it is not really suitable for infirm or really elderly people. I think this should be pointed out at the time of booking.

Room Tip: If you struggle with stairs, make sure you are on the ground floor. Also some rooms are very small...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Patrick C,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel on our way down to Cornwall. When we checked into our room the lights were not working problems with the electrical circuit and the moved us to a top room at no extra cost. Breakfast lovely full english or ham cheese etc. For £45 a night very good value indeed. Close walking to Taunton town centre

Room Tip: Hotel off main road but noise OK
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Goshawk100,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Great central location with free parking, clean and basic rooms, no air con or fans though, and our window was very hard to open !

This is more of a restaurant with rooms attached really, but a very nice place.

The bar area is lovely its a bar / wine shop and we got chatting to some lovely people whilst there.

The breakfast was lovely, I think another member of staff is needed as the young waiter was very busy on his own taking the orders and delvering them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LucyDavies80,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

If you need to be close to Taunton town centre you should consider this hotel.
It's a bit further out than The Castle Hotel, but staying there will set you back considerably more money.

Check-in was a pleasant experience, the receptionist was helpful and pleasant.

The main building seems quite old and characterful, therefore the route to the room was a bit circuitous.

The large bedroom had some quirky/period touches, e.g. wooden ceiling beams.

Despite the thickness of the outer walls, the (free) wi-fi signal-strength in the bedroom was good.

There is a busy road outside, so if your room is at the front of the building you might be bothered by traffic noise. I didn’t notice any interior noise, so I managed to get a good night’s sleep.

The bathroom was fine (the fluffy towels being a particular highlight), although the low shower pressure meant showering took a bit longer.

There was no bin in the bathroom, which was a slight inconvenience.

In conclusion - good location, pretty good value for money and no major issues.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms looking out onto the main road.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business