“Wonderful Hotel & Restaurant”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hotel is superb and the staff are very welcoming and helpful. The rooms are excellent in decor and cleanliness with wonderful facilities to enahance your stay. The food and menu choices are first class & cooked to perfection. The breakfast choice is amazing you can really treat yourself and be spoilt. The restaurant at the hotel offers delicious local quality food and a top class wine cellar. We are repeat clients and we will be visiting The Corner House again very soon - it is wonderful. Parking facilities available and is a great bonus.

Room Tip: Room 4 - large room at front of hotel noise level low and a beautiful room.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Carol L,

It was a real pleasure to welcome you to the Corner House Hotel, Taunton and thank you for your kind comments which we have passed around the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked this hotel almost THREE WEEKS IN ADVANCE for a romantic weekend with my partner. My partner lives in Taunton and I live in Wales. We chose this hotel for its proximity to Taunton Town Centre so that we could enjoy a nice weekend.

20 minutes before leaving for the hotel on the DAY that I was due to stay, I get a phone call from a member of staff speaking poor English that they cannot honour my booking. But it gets worse. He then said that they had put us up in a Premier Inn next to a motorway instead and that I should be grateful as they had paid the difference in cost.

The member of staff I spoke to just didn't seem to get that staying in a motorway hotel is not the kind of romantic weekend that I had in mind. To make matters worse, when we got to the Premier Inn, they had no record of our booking. We then spent another hour waiting for Corner House to contact their staff member who was now at home to get the details correctly so that we actually had somewhere to stay.

I stay in hotels in Taunton quite regularly, but you can guarantee that even if this was the only hotel available, I would still elect to sleep in my car........

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else to stay if you want a guarantee that you will actually have a room to stay in.

Dear Gavin_Morgan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your constructive comments.

I was very concerned to hear of your recent experience - Please may I assure you that this is not our usual standard and as such may I offer you my personal apology.

Since your stay with us we have taken measures to ensure that we do have a repeat occurrence.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Very similar to another review, our booking was cancelled on the day we were due to stay.

My partner and I were moved to the only hotel available at short notice on the outskirts of Taunton with no form of an apology. The new hotel had no information on our stay which the Corner House booked, and we were not given any details of the new reservation.

A complete let down by the hotel!

Dear Leanneh1987,

Thank you taking the time to write a review and for your constructive comments.

I was concerned to hear of your experience as this is not our usual guest experience - please may I offer you both my personal apology.

Since your stay with us we have taken steps to ensure that this does not happen again.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed there while on media assignment, Horrible Customer Service on Initial Greeting by a monotonous Drone with no fluid English language skills, whose name started with Do, I spoke to someone about this, and said I would not put up it on this, but in the end I decided I would as I paid a decent rate (in euro)

Pokey and small Rooms, with bed taking over 2/3rds of Room. Stairs are a nightmare with a large suitcase. Creaking Floorboards everywhere, Banging doors when rooms are closed.
Parking is a disgrace with musical chairs played by cars trying to get a spot.

Only saving grace is the food, which I thought was a little lacking in quantity for the prices charged.

In Aviation terms, this is like an area AVOID at all costs

Room Tip: Don't Bother
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Paul K,

It is clear that you did not have our usual guest experience and as such please may I offer you my personal apology.

I would like the opportunity of discussing your stay with us in further details and so please may you contact me directly on manager@corner-house.co.uk

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Booked this hotel for its proximity to a church which where we were attending a wedding.

Room was booked two weeks, paid for and all confirmed.

Upon arrival for check in we were told that they had no room for us and had placed us at an alternative hotel elsewhere in town.

Nothing by way of an apology was offered. No contact was made to us beforehand, despite claims at reception that they' dried to advise us.

Disgusting service.

Dear OnionNon,

I am very sorry that you had to move to alternative hotel without any notice - please may I assure you that this is not our usual standard.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Whilst we got a good deal so can't complain too much, we would have been very disappointed had we paid something akin to the 'rack' rate. On the face of it this looks a decent property but the rooms are basic. The double bed we had was small and there is no air-conditioning so with the sun on the room all afternoon it was baking hot come the evening - very difficult to sleep.

Breakfast was of decent quality but the staff seemed to be struggling to keep up and our food took a while to turn up and we had to wolf it down as we had a train to catch.

Very unlikely we would stop here again, I'm afraid.

1  Thank MTD87029

Dear MTD87029,

We do offer Compact Double rooms which are more suitable to single occupancy and the bed is a standard double bed 5'4".

It has been exceptionally hot recently and unfortunately due to being a listed building we do not have air conditioning; but we are currently looking into various options available.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to be able to redeem ourselves.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Hotel parking was almost non existant with not much help as to where else we could park.

Bathroom very tired and shabby. Also no mention when booking as to quite how many steep, spiral stairs ther were to climb, not really a problem for me but my 82 year old Mum really struggled.

Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was lovely.

Room Tip: Higher floors almost impossible with luggage
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Val C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review further to your recent stay with us.

It is clear that you did not have our usual guest experience and as such please may I offer you both my personal apology.

I am pleased to hear that the team did well but it's the smaller touches that on this occasion we did not get right.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay further and do not hesitate to contact me directly at manager@corner-house.co.uk

Look forward to speaking to you soon.