“A reasonable choice for an overnight stay in Taunton”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Mumbai
“A reasonable choice for an overnight stay in Taunton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Corner House Hotel is a building with a lot of character and our compact room had everything we needed – good TV and WiFi, a fridge, tea and coffee facilities – even an ironing board, which we didn't use.

We did not have the breakfast so can't comment on that.

Location was quite good, a short walk from the bus station and a little further into town.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Rayyoong,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for you kind comments which we have passed around the team.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Nigel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Louth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel in April in order to attend his nephews wedding,we had to travel from Lincolnshire over 250 miles away.when my bank card arrived in June the full payment for the three nights booked was taken,despite paperwork stating no payment would be taken.I spoke to my brother in law who had booked at a later date,also to attend this wedding with his wife and to drive us to and from the wedding location,he had not had payment removed.
On arrival we were told our room was not available due to a maintainance problem and we had been booked into another hotel,it turned out this hotel was 10 miles away.we had to book a taxi to the wedding and when we left this hotel we had a bill for £60 for the three days breakfasts,these were included in our original booking with the corner house and as they had already taken our payment expected breakfasts to be included.As pensioners we had planned the budget for this wedding in April when booking.
This was not only a stressful experience but cost over £90 more than we should have had to pay.
Looking at the reviews today it seems this is not the first time this has happened.
We shall be writing to the managers/owners and Best Western to complain and seek compensation .
Meanwhile suggest no one else books with this hotel if they are expecting their booking to be honoured.
My brother in law and his wife were still offered a room but had to leave the following day as the conditions were unacceptable.

Room Tip: Don't book a room in this hotel.
Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Sally848,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your constructive comments.

I was concerned to hear of your recent experience - Please may I offer you my personal apology as this is not our usual standard.

Since your stay with us we have taken steps to ensure that we do not have repeat occurrence.

Nigel.

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hotel is superb and the staff are very welcoming and helpful. The rooms are excellent in decor and cleanliness with wonderful facilities to enahance your stay. The food and menu choices are first class & cooked to perfection. The breakfast choice is amazing you can really treat yourself and be spoilt. The restaurant at the hotel offers delicious local quality food and a top class wine cellar. We are repeat clients and we will be visiting The Corner House again very soon - it is wonderful. Parking facilities available and is a great bonus.

Room Tip: Room 4 - large room at front of hotel noise level low and a beautiful room.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Carol L,

It was a real pleasure to welcome you to the Corner House Hotel, Taunton and thank you for your kind comments which we have passed around the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Abercynon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked this hotel almost THREE WEEKS IN ADVANCE for a romantic weekend with my partner. My partner lives in Taunton and I live in Wales. We chose this hotel for its proximity to Taunton Town Centre so that we could enjoy a nice weekend.

20 minutes before leaving for the hotel on the DAY that I was due to stay, I get a phone call from a member of staff speaking poor English that they cannot honour my booking. But it gets worse. He then said that they had put us up in a Premier Inn next to a motorway instead and that I should be grateful as they had paid the difference in cost.

The member of staff I spoke to just didn't seem to get that staying in a motorway hotel is not the kind of romantic weekend that I had in mind. To make matters worse, when we got to the Premier Inn, they had no record of our booking. We then spent another hour waiting for Corner House to contact their staff member who was now at home to get the details correctly so that we actually had somewhere to stay.

I stay in hotels in Taunton quite regularly, but you can guarantee that even if this was the only hotel available, I would still elect to sleep in my car........

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else to stay if you want a guarantee that you will actually have a room to stay in.
Dear Gavin_Morgan,

I was very concerned to hear of your recent experience - Please may I assure you that this is not our usual standard and as such may I offer you my personal apology.

Since your stay with us we have taken measures to ensure that we do have a repeat occurrence.

Taunton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Very similar to another review, our booking was cancelled on the day we were due to stay.

My partner and I were moved to the only hotel available at short notice on the outskirts of Taunton with no form of an apology. The new hotel had no information on our stay which the Corner House booked, and we were not given any details of the new reservation.

A complete let down by the hotel!

Dear Leanneh1987,

Thank you taking the time to write a review and for your constructive comments.

I was concerned to hear of your experience as this is not our usual guest experience - please may I offer you both my personal apology.

Since your stay with us we have taken steps to ensure that this does not happen again.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed there while on media assignment, Horrible Customer Service on Initial Greeting by a monotonous Drone with no fluid English language skills, whose name started with Do, I spoke to someone about this, and said I would not put up it on this, but in the end I decided I would as I paid a decent rate (in euro)

Pokey and small Rooms, with bed taking over 2/3rds of Room. Stairs are a nightmare with a large suitcase. Creaking Floorboards everywhere, Banging doors when rooms are closed.
Parking is a disgrace with musical chairs played by cars trying to get a spot.

Only saving grace is the food, which I thought was a little lacking in quantity for the prices charged.

In Aviation terms, this is like an area AVOID at all costs

Room Tip: Don't Bother
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Paul K,

It is clear that you did not have our usual guest experience and as such please may I offer you my personal apology.

I would like the opportunity of discussing your stay with us in further details and so please may you contact me directly on manager@corner-house.co.uk

Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Booked this hotel for its proximity to a church which where we were attending a wedding.

Room was booked two weeks, paid for and all confirmed.

Upon arrival for check in we were told that they had no room for us and had placed us at an alternative hotel elsewhere in town.

Nothing by way of an apology was offered. No contact was made to us beforehand, despite claims at reception that they' dried to advise us.

Disgusting service.

Dear OnionNon,

I am very sorry that you had to move to alternative hotel without any notice - please may I assure you that this is not our usual standard.